206 GTi 180 - 2004 Random P1622 & P1161 codes intermittently?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SLC206

Thread: 206 GTi 180 - 2004 Random P1622 & P1161 codes intermittently?

Default 206 GTi 180 - 2004 Random P1622 & P1161 codes intermittently?

Need some help here guys!
    Here's a TLDR: Fault code P1622 appears intermittently, engine still runs as good as it normally does. Have cleared multiple times but still returns randomly.
    Car Info:
    Year: 2004
    Model: 206 Gti 180
    Km's: 138,300
    Last Oil Change: 8300km ago.
    Fuel: 95 or 98.
    Modifications: K&N Typhoon Induction Kit (Have had this for about 10 months with 0 issues)

03/10/16 was just about to get onto the freeway when suddenly the car threw an engine light and went into its Anti-Pollution Fault state. Lost most power (didn't seem to want to rev past 4000rpm) Pulled over and disconnected the positive terminal and started it back up to see if it would do it again but to my surprise I drove another 30km on the freeway with no issues. Thought it may have just been a one-off with a random misfire.
    Later that night after leaving my car off for approx 12 hours, as soon as I started it up, it threw an engine light and Anti-Pollution Fault but I still had power as per normal. Drove it all the way home (50km), then checked for the code with my OBDII scanner the next morning.
    Code: P1622
    Generic Info: http://p1622.engine-trouble-code.com/

After cleaning the code and letting the car warm up to operating temperature I drove 20km, no issues switched car off. Drove home another 20km when I was literally just pulling up to my house when it decided to bring the engine light back on again! Anti-Pollution Fault showing. Cleared code and parked it.

I've checked all levels, cleaned out VVT solenoid, cleaned out throttle body, checked for leaks, re-plugged a lot of connectors. I don't want to start replacing sensors unless I know for sure it will fix it as they aren't cheap! Took it for a drive after doing all the above and it threw the code at me again after only 1 minute of driving. Checked it, and got the code P1161.

Generic Info: http://p1161.engine-trouble-code.com/

Cleared it and drove to work again today with no codes or issues. It's really frustrating as I can't seem to pinpoint it to anything!

Has anyone had the same fault? If so, what did you do to rectify it?

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

From the PSA manual-
    P1161 Contrôleur de position papillon : problème de performances
    ERG bloqué

That's an EGR blockage

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    From the PSA manual-
    P1161 Contrôleur de position papillon : problème de performances
    ERG bloqué

That's an EGR blockage
    Alright cool, is it part of the throttle body assembly? Might pull it apart tomorrow

Ew10j4's don't have egr valves, so quoting a generic internet "psa manual" is not always a great idea. PSA like other manufacturers use the same P code to represent different failures in different ecu/engine combo's. So p1611 in one car won't always mean the same in all others. P116* in this instance (mm6lp) relates to a throttle position fault. However it was common for these motors to throw this code when the exhaust cam had been timed incorrectly (usually with a lack of power at all times). That doesn't rule out a throttle body fault however.
    2006 Peugeot 206 Xt
    1991 Toyota mx83 grande 1jzgte

Quote Originally Posted by James504 View Post
    Ew10j4's don't have egr valves, so quoting a generic internet "psa manual" is not always a great idea. PSA like other manufacturers use the same P code to represent different failures in different ecu/engine combo's. So p1611 in one car won't always mean the same in all others. P116* in this instance (mm6lp) relates to a throttle position fault. However it was common for these motors to throw this code when the exhaust cam had been timed incorrectly (usually with a lack of power at all times). That doesn't rule out a throttle body fault however.
    Ah okay well that makes sense as I'd never seen it before or heard of it having one. It's a frustrating fault because it drives just fine until it faults. So far I'm just going to see how it goes for the rest of the week and if I'm still having issues next week I'll park it at home and begin testing everything.

1000+ Posts

I quoted without comment, but it obviously refers to the throttle valve. The manual is not internet generic, but one used by French dealers, complete with a PSA part number.

Tadpole

Hi, I had these issues as well, I resolved them by replacing the spark plugs ( one keep failing and I tested this with multimeter on the plugs) also the flat pin connection on end of coil pack gave both sides a good spray of contact cleaner then slightly bent every second pin up and down ( to create a better contact) then put some electronic grease in socket this helps improve electronic conductivity! Haven't had any problems since!

Hi Stuart

On my GTi180, a P1622 fault was related to the immobiliser.

It happened after I attempted to start the car and it wouldn't fire up the first time, so I think it may have been down to poor battery performance or some other ignition related event like a spark plug or coil issue. It threw an "Anti-Pollution" msg and it took 3 normal starts for the message to clear. I hadn't been driving the car much and the battery was a little tired and it took time for the fuel pump to pressurise the fuel rail (was my theory, anyway).

I always waited a few seconds after turning the ignition on before cranking the starter and it never happened again.

The other code P1161 (according to my notes) does appear to be a throttle position regulation fault. I'd check and clean the throttle body connections and the ECU connectors, I suppose.

Other cars (like the 307) have been known to draw coolant from a leaking coolant sensor all the way up the loom to the ECU and causing this fault, for example.
    pug206gti likes this.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Thread Information