Auto Transmission issues?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By David Cavanagh

Thread: Auto Transmission issues?

Default Auto Transmission issues?

Hey all!

So sorry I havent been posting or at least being active in here. Life has settled a bit so I am hoping to contribute more. :-)

Advertisement

So I have just a few questions; still loving Monsieur Puggy, but I have noticed that it has a pronounced humm/buzz when its in reverse. And since purchasing, its always had a bit rough of a time with gear changes. Not while in motion, but when coming to a stop or starting, it is a bit jerky. More annoying than anything, and it just doesnt feel like anything major (usually pretty good with diagnosing issues, but this is my first French car, so not sure if this is a characteristic or an issue). Does anyone, or has anyone had similar issues? Thanks so much in advance.

Cheers

1000+ Posts

Which gearbox? Auto? Manual? There are different manual boxes depending on engine. Older autos might be from ZF.

If it's a recent 4 speed auto, it's the AL4 with a long history of interesting issues. If it's a recent 6 speed auto it's probably an AM6 with few issues.

Ahhh it's the AL4 then; no idea why Peugeot would use a 4sp auto, very ancient. But yes it's the 4sp auto

1000+ Posts

How many kilometres has it done? This so-called lubed for life box needs fluid changes or the phrase might be literally true. There are known issues with the solenoid valves, and a host of AFers have stripped these and may come along with some hints.

AL4's are easy to diagnose. Is the car due for a timing belt? Then the transmission is stuffed............you think I'm joking.
    UFO, BIGRR and Beano like this.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

It's done 43k km's, it's a 2013 208 1.6VTI 4sp auto. The timing chain seems to be OK so far; timing is OK and doesn't seem to be any stretching.

Quote Originally Posted by pugster81 View Post
    It's done 43k km's, it's a 2013 208 1.6VTI 4sp auto. The timing chain seems to be OK so far; timing is OK and doesn't seem to be any stretching.
    Is it still under warranty? If yes Go to your dealer, Go directly to your dealer, Do not pass Go..............
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

Not under manufacturers warranty. But it does have a NWC and covers transmission up to $3000. Guess I'll have to bring it to the mechanic. I went out just now and started it, and placed it in all gears, no noise in reverse. It seems to only occur when the car is warm. But as it seems everyone says its failing, I'll bring it in. 🙁🙁

If anyone has had similar issues on their 2012 or newer 208 with the AL4, a humming/buzzing in reverse only, and may know what it is, still let me know 😁.
    Cheers

Buzzing is common in al4's. Some buzz much noticeably louder than others. Its the solenoids in the hydraulic block.
    2006 Peugeot 206 Xt
    1991 Toyota mx83 grande 1jzgte

Default Does the noise mean it's failing?

Quote Originally Posted by James504 View Post
    Buzzing is common in al4's. Some buzz much noticeably louder than others. Its the solenoids in the hydraulic block.
    Or is this just a normal characteristic? Buzzing and such doesn't bother me, but if it is foreshadowing what is to come, I'll panic!! 😬😬. Something wicked this way comes! So if it is the solenoids, would replacing then be worth it at this point? Very mildly driven, ex owner was a pensioner as well, and I am in my mid-thirties, so I am very cautious and treat my cars as if there were all extremely fragile (thinking the French have got Saab beat on fragility&#128512

But as it's due for service in November, and I put maybe 3k km's a year on the car, I'll be following the time not the distance for service. Touch wood, but Puggy had been awesome. Love the quirkiness, finesse, and just overall a pleasure to drive! As long as he gets me to 2020, I'd be happy as happy can be!! And again thanks everyone for helping, and if you have had the same issue, WBAT has your experience been?

Cheers
    The Pugster

Just make sure that in the service they change the gearbox oil. They normally will not, because as someone said, it's supposed to be sealed for life.
    But trust us : in AL4s, it should be changed.

Thread Information