Weird clanging, grinding noise
  • Register
  • Help

Default Weird clanging, grinding noise

Lately when trying to start the car, the starter motor will occasionally seem to labour as if the battery's going flat, and then as it turns the motor over, there's a grinding noise followed by a clang (this is the best way I can describe it...). The engine usually doesn't start when this happens, but if I perservere and keep trying amid the grinding and clanging, then the engine does eventually get going. Is this a sign that the starter motor's on its way out?

Prior to this happening, the starter would sometimes not work when I turn the key; I'd just hear a "click" as the solenoid engages or whatever, but the engine would not turn over. I would have to repeat this up to 3 times before the starter would work. It happened the other day as well after I'd stopped the car straight after a run on the freeway. I imagine it wasn't happy with the heat, because after sitting with the electric fan running for a few minutes to cool things down a bit, the car started fine.

So yeah, I'm guessing it's the starter motor but I'd like to hear some other opinions before I go get the one sitting in the 505 out at pick-a-part.

Advertisement

Cheers,
    Richard
    - Richard

Now: 405 SRI D70 '93
    - 2.0L manual
    Earlier: 505 GTi Executive '85
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

WLB

Default Starter motor removal

Richard,

If you have to pull out the starter, don't do it the hard way like I did. Progressively replace the 4 cross-member bolts with longer ones (604 head bolts are the right length), and then drop the cross-member to get better access to the starter.

Cheers,
    Warwick.

I have to drop the cross-member to get the starter out?!? That's just typical isn't it The Haynes manual doesn't mention anything about having to do major surgery. I haven't really had a good look at where the starter is fitted though.

I might wait until next week to do this stuff then, I'm still recovering after the work I did to the car last weekend...

Richard
    - Richard

Now: 405 SRI D70 '93
    - 2.0L manual
    Earlier: 505 GTi Executive '85
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

Icon8

Could be the starter isn't being thrown onto the coggs too, the bang and grinding sounds, which is probably the starter motor failing and not engaging..

ah what do i know :-(

www.mad-biker.com

Quote Originally Posted by silverexec
    I have to drop the cross-member to get the starter out?!? That's just typical isn't it The Haynes manual doesn't mention anything about having to do major surgery. I haven't really had a good look at where the starter is fitted though.

I might wait until next week to do this stuff then, I'm still recovering after the work I did to the car last weekend...

Richard
    ===============
    1991 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1994 Toyota Camry CSI
    2002 Honda CBR600F4i
    1989 Honda CD250U
    www.mad-biker.com
    ===============

nJm

Richard,

Jason needed to replace the starter motor on his Exec either last year or the year before. I remember after much cursing he managed to get the car going and threw it at a mechanic to do .

I'll ask him tonight though if he has any tips for you.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Sounds like the starter to me.
    Bruce

Currently owned:
    1988 505 GTi S2 Familial
    1999 E46 BMW 328Ci, 2002 Falcon AUIII Ute
    Previously owned:
    ('78-'81) 1970 504 (with the beautiful French seats)
    ('81-'89) 1977 504 (took the family on postings to Sydney, Melbourne, Perth and Canberra)
    Brother owned:
    203,403,404,504 (each when they were current vehicles)

Thread Information