• Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By pug206gti
  • 1 Post By dj4llen

Thread: ARGH! Peugeot 206 GTI Failed NSW Safety Inspection

Fellow Frogger!

Default ARGH! Peugeot 206 GTI Failed NSW Safety Inspection

Poor little Peugeot 206 GTI is currently unregistered and therefore off the road.

It's an old car and it's had a rough life prior to me, but I've been driving it happily for over 6 months without any safety issues - once I replaced the dodgy tyres.

Failed on three counts:

1. Secure the battery
    2. Power steering leak
    3. LHS front strut 'moving'

1. You may recall previously that I had discovered that some loon had failed to re-fit all the radiator supports to the car. Replaced those. But it seems the battery tray is missing some bolts (or perhaps a little bracket) meaning the battery box is loose as it's sitting on a tray that's not secured to the body firming enough.

Does anyone know what size bolts the battery tray uses to secure itself to the LHS of the wheel well?

2. I knew about the power steering leak but for some unknown reason it left a little puddle (for the first time) while the mechanic was inspecting the car. Fail. I'll have to replace the rubber seals now. No biggie.

3. The strut has worked it's way loose (my fault playing with the strut top nut). I will have to remove and reseat the spring and strut to the car. Again, no biggie, but I will need a few new lock nuts.

The battery tray is the most annoying. I wonder what else is missing on the car?

Anyway, if anyone can easily find out the bolts I need to secure the battery tray (hoping it doesn't need a special Peugeot bracket part to fix it) that would be wonderful!!!

Advertisement

head to picknpayless they got plenty of 307s and 206s there these days with the battery tray most likely there.

that said i know that the head is 10mm so it's probably an m3-4 or something.
    Pour le peuple colonisé, la valeur la plus essentielle, parce que la plus concrète, c'est d'abord la terre: la terre qui doit assurer le pain et, bien sûr, la dignité.

A hex head 10mm identifies a M6 bolt (normal size). Perhaps the most common metric size.

Undersized M6 might require a 9mm spanner.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Fellow Frogger!

I spent hours last night Googling until I found it.

Peugeot part 6922 H2 being a self tapping screw with washer spec 6X100-20.

Is that a 20mm long self tapping screw 6mm diameter with a... 100? thread?

I'm a bit lost.

I would be off to Pick'n'Payless except I live in Ashfield and Pick'n'Payless is in Blacktown... a quick drive but a long public transport hike.

I'm off to Bunnings... or Repco to see if I can find something similar.

Fellow Frogger!

Actually, while I'm thinking about it, would anyone like to volunteer to pick me up a LHS 206 strut (complete) and the aforementioned battery tray screws...?
    ARGH! Peugeot 206 GTI Failed NSW Safety Inspection-bolts.jpg

Fellow Frogger!

AND ANOTHER THING!

My car is missing it's bloody engine under tray. I only just discovered that the 206 should have one. Fragile power steering pipes exposed... no wonder they leak!

I've never seen one fitted with an under tray.
    Bathurst______2 57.22 Sandown_______1 35.29
    Mallala_______1 22.90 Phillip Island____1 56.41
    Winton_______1.43.90 Collingrove_______38.08
    The Bend_____2 21.96

https://www.facebook.com/FrogstompRacing/

http://www.harlandeng.com.au

Fellow Frogger!

AAARRRGGGHHH!

Removed the battery, battery box and battery tray. Surprise! There were the missing screws to secure the battery tray resting on the engine... no kidding... they've been there at least 7 months I'd guess.

First it was missing radiator supports, now it's loose screws in the engine bay. FIXED. YAY!

Google research on the under tray: 206s did come with under trays. Diesel 206s. To stop grubby diesel engines leaving big black marks on the floor. Petrol 206s did not come with the undertray, which seems a mean cost saving omission given the how power steering pipes are exposure under the car.

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by dj4llen View Post
    AAARRRGGGHHH!

Removed the battery, battery box and battery tray. Surprise! There were the missing screws to secure the battery tray resting on the engine... no kidding... they've been there at least 7 months I'd guess.
    G'day,
    does that mean that you are a careful driver ?
    dj4llen likes this.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

Fellow Frogger!

Ha. Maybe I'm a smooth driver despite the sudden rush of blood on some favourite roads and my constant heal-and-toeing (which is relatively easy in the 206 to be honest, despite my Size 44 feet).
    pug206gti likes this.

Icon6

G'day,
    is it all fixed now ?
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

I spent hours last night Googling until I found it.

Peugeot part 6922 H2 being a self tapping screw with washer spec 6X100-20.

Is that a 20mm long self tapping screw 6mm diameter with a... 100? thread?

I'm a bit lost.

I would be off to Pick'n'Payless except I live in Ashfield and Pick'n'Payless is in Blacktown... a quick drive but a long public transport hike.

I'm off to Bunnings... or Repco to see if I can find something similar.
    Dude, do yourself a favour and look at some basic metric fasteners. It will save you a lot of trouble and money. What you're looking at is a bolt used for convenience of assembly. I would say the 100 says something about the pitch (1mm - but this info is almost redundant since 99.99% of M6 bolts/nuts are pitch 1 - good to be sure though).

I think you've figured it out in the end, but just in case it happens again, it's good to have an idea where to start. M6 bolts are almost everywhere, Bunnings perhaps the most convenient source (even if you need high tensile). I would be surprised if you didn't find them lost on the freeway from all the cars that pass by.

You don't need to replace those self-tappers with self-tappers (if anything they're not the best anyway, just convenient for the manufacturer to use - that way they don't have to tap the hole first - one less operation on the assembly line - one penny saved). Any old M6 bolt will do very well, just use a large washer to spread the load on the battery tray in case it's plastic.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Fellow Frogger!

Google research on the under tray: 206s did come with under trays. Diesel 206s. To stop grubby diesel engines leaving big black marks on the floor. Petrol 206s did not come with the undertray, which seems a mean cost saving omission given the how power steering pipes are exposure under the car.
    Its a cost saving, but not for aesthetics. The under tray improves the aerodynamics substantially and reduces heat loss from the engine bay. They're not sturdy at all and wear away on dirt roads so you're better off putting a metal tray in yourself.

It should be fine to fit a tray on a petrol engine but watch the temperatures on hot days.
    406 HDi

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by hypermiler View Post
    It should be fine to fit a tray on a petrol engine but watch the temperatures on hot days.
    Hmmm... I never thought of heat build up. Thanks for the tip. If I come across a under tray I'll fit it and see what happens...

Under trays are for diesel Peugeots (and Citroëns) to reduce noise.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by pug206gti View Post
    G'day,
    is it all fixed now ?
    Thanks for asking. I haven't had time to take out the LHS front strut and re-build it. It's loose. Hopefully the top mount isn't busted so I'll just have to tighten it up.

The power steering leak... Hmmm... I'm thinking of trying stop leak and then replacing the o-rings. I will be off the road until early next week I reckon.

Fellow Frogger!

In case you were wondering, finally had time to get the car inspected again, passed and rego'd.

Wow, CTP is expensive these days. Considering I've never had an accident resulting in a CTP claim IN MY LIFE it sort of stinks that I'm paying for the oligopoly that privatisation was meant to make things cheaper. (Don't get me started. More drivers, decreasing accident payouts - in real terms and yet prices increase, what, 10% per annum? Scam.)

It's nice to drive again but I must say it's much, much cheaper to use public transport, and the trains and state busses aren't half bad.

End of my safety inspection fail story.

1000+ Posts

I hope you used Step1 Commencement Date - The green slip calculator to get the best rate. Some insurers dislike GTI models, or younger drivers.

It's nice to drive again but I must say it's much, much cheaper to use public transport, and the trains and state busses aren't half bad.
    If you live in the inner West, sure.

Dave
    2008 Renault Laguna 2.0 dCi break
    ​1997 BMW K1200RS

IR655
    (George Bush Snr): "I'll never apologize for the United States of America. Ever, I don't care what the facts are."

Fellow Frogger!

I grew up in the outer suburbs of Sydney. I know what private public transport is like. That's why I only choose to live on State Transit bus routes. :-)

Fellow Frogger!

Yes. Always use this tool. Thanks! Alas I'm no longer a younger driver.

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    I hope you used Step1 Commencement Date - The green slip calculator to get the best rate. Some insurers dislike GTI models, or younger drivers.

Thread Information