AntiPollution fault on 206 gti180
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Fellow Frogger!

Default AntiPollution fault on 206 gti180

Hey People like to get your opinion on this.

This arvo as I jumped into my car to drive home from work I noticed that the engine light came on and the "AntiPollution fault" message appeared on the centre console display:sad:. Now I have been around the web and from what I can gather is that the "AntiPollution fault" message means that some sensor picked up something funny happening. Kind of equivalent to your typical microsoft product crash message :smile:.

Anyway, I am going to call the dealer up tommorow and try to drop it off there to get it fixed, so my question is has this "AntiPollution fault" message happened to anyone else? If so what was the problem?

Tanx in advance!

Advertisement
    Bad_Karma

"The great philisopher Bashra once said... A flute without holes is not a flute, a donut without a hole is a danish" Ty Webb, Pro Golfer, CaddyShack

Quote Originally Posted by bad_karma

This arvo as I jumped into my car to drive home from work I noticed that the engine light came on and the "AntiPollution fault" message appeared on the centre console display:sad:. Now I have been around the web and from what I can gather is that the "AntiPollution fault" message means that some sensor picked up something funny happening. Kind of equivalent to your typical microsoft product crash message :smile:.

Anyway, I am going to call the dealer up tommorow and try to drop it off there to get it fixed, so my question is has this "AntiPollution fault" message happened to anyone else? If so what was the problem?

Tanx in advance!
    Never seen anything in my 02 GTi, I'd guess they will just plug it into the computer and it will tell them what's wrong - probably a sensor getting something out of range or similar. Welcome to the world of MUXPUG - Multiplexing ahhhh gotta love it Great when it works and crappy when it doesnt. Kinda like computer networks. When people ask how my car works with MUX i say - it's like having my own mini computer network in my car.
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

my question is has this "AntiPollution fault" message happened to anyone else? If so what was the problem?
    The APF seems to be PSA's equivalent of Microsoft's General Protection Fault, Fatal Error, etc. It's generally associated with engine related electronic disorders - for example at an extreme level - extremely rough running, belching smoke, refusal to drive faster than 15km/h, no throttle response, etc. Yes I've had all three back in the car's young and mischievous days. At the more usual level, there doesn't seem to be much of a problem, often enough, restarting (or should that be 'rebooting) the car seems to resolve the problem.

I'm of the view that the APF is Peugeot's funny way of warning you "Disaster Ahead!". People have seen the message pop up and then have the airbags pop out just after. So it does seem to be a generic fault message for a variety of electronic disorders.

Somehow, I think we'll get a cure for cancer before PSA discovers a cure for Multiplexitis!

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

you know guys i'm so happy knowing that i have wires that add extra weight running all around my car with all these little problems you keep having

i know i'd be a very upset owner if i had a new car that the air bags decided it was time to deploy for no reason or the won't go over 15km/h (which would be great at traffic lights or a roundybout)

take the car back and tell them you are a tad displeased and you want it rectified

peugeot i think need to pick up a little with the new cars i think

in the meantime i'll stick to pininfarina designed pugs complete with X kilos of wires
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    i know i'd be a very upset owner if i had a new car that the air bags decided it was time to deploy for no reason or the won't go over 15km/h (which would be great at traffic lights or a roundybout)
    At least Micro$oft dont design car software - there would be a message asking if your sure before the airbags deployed.

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    in the meantime i'll stick to pininfarina designed pugs complete with X kilos of wires
    You would have to admit however that the shape of the 206 is one of the best in the small hatch market at the moment - espescially if you consider it's age and the imitations that you see - proton satria anyone. I dont know who designed the 206 - in-house or design studio - but they should get a pat on the back from me anyway
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!

This has happened twice on my VTS, both times it was an intermittant reading from the upstream oxygen sensor. The first time around they were a bit vague as to the cause, but the second time they said the upstream oxygen sensor was reading an excessively rich fuel mixture and the ecu couldn't adjust the mixture sufficiently. They reset the error and suggested that I change the fuel I was using from the BP Ultimate to Shell, and see what happens. Supposedly the dealer has been having problems occurring on some cars, and it tended to be when they were using BP fuel. This was about 2 months ago, I haven't had any problems since then.

Troy.

Quote Originally Posted by gti138
    You would have to admit however that the shape of the 206 is one of the best in the small hatch market at the moment - espescially if you consider it's age and the imitations that you see - proton satria anyone.
    Is there such thing as pre-emptive imitation

Hint, find out when the Satria was launched in relation to the 206

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Pug307
    Is there such thing as pre-emptive imitation

Hint, find out when the Satria was launched in relation to the 206
    Ahhh I see your point The 206 still looks better - espescially than the Satria GTi, I just cant get used to that body kit - espescially the wheel arch extensions!

Fellow Frogger!

I had this problem (twice) during some hot weather at the end on january / start of february. After raising the issue back then and after talking to TroyO i decided to book the car in. But cancelled due to a family members death. Then it was fine. Then it happened again...about to book car in...and it was fine. After a lot of discussion will 'people-in-the-know' it was determined that in some conditions injector-duration could not compensate for rising levels of unburnt hydrocarbons in the exhaust emissions.

However if yours occured in cooler weather...shrug...

---Edit--->>

Just read TroyO's post up there ^ somewhere. I too was running BP Premium Ultimate 98RON and still continue to do so...it has never drank anything else...except elf or whatever the french ppl put into the car to get it onto the boat. And my car is an '04 Citroen Xsara but still hs the same PSA Multiplexing ciruitry as yours...

Q
    Last edited by XsaraVTS; 14th April 2004 at 02:09 AM.

Quinten, you have no choice in Adelaide, do you? Ultimate is the only 98 RON fuel.

As for 206 being a design masterpiece, I give it a 7.5/10. Some of the design detail is finicky and unnecessary. Bonnet Scoops and the middle mounted rear brake light/fog are elements which throw it out the most. The 306 is a great example of simple, symmetric design.
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GTI124
    Bonnet Scoops
    Ah yes, but the bonnet scoop serves a purpose (and a good one at that) of providing forced cabin air - great in the majority of 206's in Europe which probably don't have air con. I rememeber being amazed at how much air was forced into the cabin even with the fan off in the 206 I leased which had no aircon.

The 306 is a great example of simple, symmetric design.
    I'd agree with that
    Derek.

I had a good look a thtat bonnet scoop and could not see it connecting to anything except a closed off section above the left strut. I could not see that hole connecting anywhere.
    - Lincoln

Contribute to the World Community Grid.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks for the info ppl. I have booked the car in for next tuesday and i'll see what they have got to say about it. In the mean time it seems to be running fine so I'm hoping the little computer had a bit of a brain fart and that's all it was.

I'll keep ya posted on what I find out.
    Bad_Karma

"The great philisopher Bashra once said... A flute without holes is not a flute, a donut without a hole is a danish" Ty Webb, Pro Golfer, CaddyShack

Quinten, you have no choice in Adelaide, do you? Ultimate is the only 98 RON fuel.
    Arent you forgetting about Mobil Synergy 8000? I refuse to use it because they closed the Mobil Servo that was 500m from my house

I had a good look a thtat bonnet scoop and could not see it connecting to anything except a closed off section above the left strut. I could not see that hole connecting anywhere.
    If you look back against the firewall you'll see a pollen filter. The scoops provide air intake for the cabin & aircon.

Quote Originally Posted by XsaraVTS
    I had this problem (twice) during some hot weather at the end on january / start of february. After raising the issue back then and after talking to TroyO i decided to book the car in. But cancelled due to a family members death. Then it was fine. Then it happened again...about to book car in...and it was fine. After a lot of discussion will 'people-in-the-know' it was determined that in some conditions injector-duration could not compensate for rising levels of unburnt hydrocarbons in the exhaust emissions.

However if yours occured in cooler weather...shrug...
    Did the "Anti Pollution Fault" error just go away? It wouldn't go away on my car until the dealer cleared the error on the ECU. The car ran fine though.

Troy.

Fellow Frogger!

Hey people

Jumped into my car to drive home this arvo and I noticed that the antipollution fault message has disappeared along with the amber coloured engine indicator. Oh well I will keep my eye on that in the future!

Thanks for your help though people!:smile:
    Bad_Karma

As for 206 being a design masterpiece, I give it a 7.5/10. Some of the design detail is finicky and unnecessary. Bonnet Scoops and the middle mounted rear brake light/fog are elements which throw it out the most. The 306 is a great example of simple, symmetric design.
    Some of the Mobils here carry the Mobil 8000 fuel, which is also a 98 RON and is what I use. There's no shell optimax here as far as I know though. I did use some BP ultimate for the first time in Warnimbool the other day, didn't notice any difference from the mobil stuff.

edit-------
    Sorry Michael, I didn't see your post before I posted.
    cheers,
    Jude
    Last edited by jastanis; 14th April 2004 at 08:38 PM.
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Hey people

Jumped into my car to drive home this arvo and I noticed that the antipollution fault message has disappeared along with the amber coloured engine indicator. Oh well I will keep my eye on that in the future!

Thanks for your help though people!:smile:
    I'd still drop past the dealer and get them to plug it in to the computer to see what was wrong Just to be safe!

Fellow Frogger!

from my days hanging around ford mechanics (may not be relevant to french cars) a fault code is displayed the moment it occurs and that code is written to the (cant think of actual name) fault memory -which is the only reason that message keeps appearing upon start-up. That problem is not actually occuring every time you start your car, but the residual fault code serves to highlight it may need attention.
    What happens then is -a counter will measure how many times it has not occured and will de-flag/reset the fault register when it meets a certain value. I'm pretty sure my Citroen reset the fault register at 15 restarts of obviously error-free driving. I didnt actually count -and im not going to sit there turning my car on and off ...coz like a watched pot never boilz...

since your code has already reset itself the mechanic cannot tell you sh!t. although i wonder if any data is saved with the fault code - such as stoichiometric readings etc. that would be good to find out.

rant over,

Q

Quote Originally Posted by XsaraVTS
    What happens then is -a counter will measure how many times it has not occured and will de-flag/reset the fault register when it meets a certain value. I'm pretty sure my Citroen reset the fault register at 15 restarts of obviously error-free driving. I didnt actually count -and im not going to sit there turning my car on and off ...coz like a watched pot never boilz...
    I probably wasn't patient enough to allow for the required number of restarts to reset the fault register. Just as well I suppose, it gave me the chance to find out what the problem potentially could be.

Troy.

Tanx in advance!
    Hey Jim I know the fix..buy a new car!
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Bah, I switched back to BP Ultimate a couple of weeks ago after running Shell Premium for a couple of months and I've got the dreaded "Anti Pollution Fault" error come up again. My car is going for a service at the end of the week, so if the error is still there I will talk to the service guys about it then.

The annoying thing is that I switched back to BP because the engine would occasionally ping under medium to heavy acceleration using Shell. Going back to BP eliminated the pinging but instead I get this again.

Troy.

I've been using Optimax for nearly two years, and i've only had the Anti Pollution fault appear once or twice - It disapears soon after like nothing happened.
    Is there any great deal of difference between Optimax and Ultimate? I've been using Optimax for so long I don't think I should bother changing? Or is Ultimate some how recommended?
    2002 China Blue Peugeot XT
    Canberra Raiders #1 Season Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by MR206
    I've been using Optimax for nearly two years, and i've only had the Anti Pollution fault appear once or twice - It disapears soon after like nothing happened.
    Is there any great deal of difference between Optimax and Ultimate? I've been using Optimax for so long I don't think I should bother changing? Or is Ultimate some how recommended?
    To be honest, I do not know if there is any difference between Optimax or Ultimate. Ultimate is recommended here is WA as it is the only 98 octane fuel we get at the bowsers, we don't get Optimax. It probably won't hurt to give Ultimate a go, and if it seems better for you then use it, if not go back to Optimax.

Troy.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information