Like Tree10Likes
  • 3 Post By Edmund
  • 1 Post By Armidillo
  • 2 Post By Peter Chisholm
  • 1 Post By Edmund
  • 3 Post By schlitzaugen

Thread: Reviving Grandpa's 404: The car that made me a Pugnut

Default Reviving Grandpa's 404: The car that made me a Pugnut

Hi folks I've been thinking for a while to restore my Grandpa's 404 but without spending too much money and it seems I'll be able to do just that, sooner rather than later. Mechanically the car is still in very good condition, it's a 1975 1800 model but the interior needs work as well as the body, there is minimal rust though, front window controls no longer working, car locks not working including boot lock. There's a guy selling a very beautiful green 404 and I was considering buying it and doing a transplant but the problem is that it's an Automatic and just about everyone I've talked to has discouraged me from converting it to manual, saying that it's a complicated job and could go wrong but I don't understand why that would be considered a difficult job when I would have everything I need from the donor car? I mean it's just a matter of transferring the bits from the original manual car into the auto, am I missing something? It really sounds easy to me although I wouldn't be doing it myself, I would hire an expert. Please advise and enjoy the pics of the cars I'm talking about below:
    Reviving Grandpa's 404: The car that made me a Pugnut-unnamed-5-.jpgReviving Grandpa's 404: The car that made me a Pugnut-unnamed-8-.jpgReviving Grandpa's 404: The car that made me a Pugnut-unnamed-7-.jpgReviving Grandpa's 404: The car that made me a Pugnut-unnamed-6-.jpgReviving Grandpa's 404: The car that made me a Pugnut-aussie3.jpgReviving Grandpa's 404: The car that made me a Pugnut-aussie2.jpgReviving Grandpa's 404: The car that made me a Pugnut-aussie1.jpg

Advertisement
    okalford, 59 Floride and Dano like this.

1000+ Posts

So you are talking about "re-shelling" your grandfather's car? But you just said it has minimal rust . Also, assuming that the "beautiful green 404" is also mechanically sound, why destroy it?

I think you will find an actual restoration of your grandfather's car far more satisfying than simply cannibalising it to do a manual conversion on someone else's car.

Cheers

Alec
    Edmund likes this.

1000+ Posts

I agree with Alec. If the green car is sound it would be a shame to wreck it.
    1975 404s are unknown here. And I'm surprised and delighted at the 504 components used on the white car. My first thought - why not use a 504?
    1998 Peugeot 406 D8SV Manual
    1999 Peugeot 406 D8ST Auto
    2002 Peugeot 406 D9SV Manual
    1994 Peuegot 306 N3 Cabriolet Manual
    1994 Peugeot 306 XR N3 Hatch
    1995 Peugeot 505 GTI executive
    1976 Peugeot 504 Sedan - Now sold

Over 60 Pugs in my time
    Gerry Mullock

1000+ Posts

Are you saying that there are body components in common between the 504 and a late-model 404? If grandpa's car is mechanically sound, then you wouldn't need a 504 for mechanical parts...

your intentions, Edmund, seem a little unclear. if you're thinking of buying
    the green 404, indeed a beautiful car, and converting it to manual, that
    sounds pretty good to me (I'm not qualified to comment on any potential
    problems with the conversion), but what will you do then with the white car?

All 404s are great, please let me know the VINs so I can register them. I have a few from ZA but not a lot!

You can convert it from auto to manual (if you do, change flywheels or install a pilot bush in the auto's flywheel) but the collector value would be shortchanged. The VINs will tell whether it was originally manual or auto.

My advice: save your grandpa's car. It's priceless.
    1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection post-restoration reassembly underway!
    Register your 404: https://recensement.leclub404.com/submit.php

Converting the auto into a manual would at least involve swapping over the pedal board and clutch master cylinder, the engine flywheel, gearbox and its various linkages. The cost of having all this done professionally wouldn't be cheap in Australia and, I imagine, not cheap in South Africa either.

If you have sentimental attachment to your grandpa's 404 then I'd say fix it up, particularly if it's basically sound. The window winding mechanism (the "regulators") are probably the issue with the windows and the locks can be replaced if a squirt of Inox etc isn't effective. These sort of problems are actually fairly straight forward to resolve and there are many on this forum that would be able to give you sound advice.

If you don't have a great deal of experience you may have a friend who could check the car over for problems before embarking on any repairs. Hopefully all is well but there could be costly roadworthy items lurking.
    Edmund and Dano like this.

Fellow Frogger!

basically, the conversion from auto to manual job is doable at home.
    the problem is that since one is from 1975 and the other one you didn't say, they may have different floors or firewalls or god knows what else.
    the green one for instance may not have an aperture on the tunnel for the shifter.

I agree with others....fix granddad's car. It looks good. It'll be much more satisfying for you and those things you mention are easy fixes which can be done one at a time.

The grass on the other side of the fence is always greener. That green car will have its own set of minor or even major problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Beano View Post
    I agree with others....fix granddad's car. It looks good. It'll be much more satisfying for you and those things you mention are easy fixes which can be done one at a time.

The grass on the other side of the fence is always greener. That green car will have its own set of minor or even major problems.
    Thanx. I will seriously consider working on the original car instead. I wasn't worried about the green car's problems Beano because the main thing I wanted from it is the body. I would keep all mechanics from Grandpa's car

Quote Originally Posted by pugnut1 View Post
    I agree with Alec. If the green car is sound it would be a shame to wreck it.
    1975 404s are unknown here. And I'm surprised and delighted at the 504 components used on the white car. My first thought - why not use a 504?
    I wouldn't wreck either car. I would restore the other car in the future or use the other one for parts for the main car, win-win situation. The white car is called the 404 GL and came factory fitted with 504 bits including XM7 motor, these were only available in South Africa, a total of 4997 were made. Read more here http://www.curbsideclassic.com/my-cu...-ultimate-404/
    Last edited by Edmund; 4th October 2016 at 06:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lozenge View Post
    your intentions, Edmund, seem a little unclear. if you're thinking of buying
    the green 404, indeed a beautiful car, and converting it to manual, that
    sounds pretty good to me (I'm not qualified to comment on any potential
    problems with the conversion), but what will you do then with the white car?
    Hi, I basically want to re-shell the white car then I would either keep it as spare body parts but at this stage I'm seriously considering rebuilding it instead

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Tippett View Post
    All 404s are great, please let me know the VINs so I can register them. I have a few from ZA but not a lot!

You can convert it from auto to manual (if you do, change flywheels or install a pilot bush in the auto's flywheel) but the collector value would be shortchanged. The VINs will tell whether it was originally manual or auto.

My advice: save your grandpa's car. It's priceless.
    Hi Mike, here is the VIN of my Grandpa's 404, please add to the registry. If I still intended to continue with the auto to manual conversion I would replace the auto vin tag with the manual Reviving Grandpa's 404: The car that made me a Pugnut-grandpas-vin.jpgtag, I would basically transfer all the mechanics of the original manual car to the auto, it would look very original. More info for the registry, it's a 1975 Peugeot 404 GL(factory 1800, floorshift, only 4997 made, very rare)
    Mike Tippett likes this.

Thanks for that. If you manage to get the VIN of the green car sometime, do let me know!
    1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection post-restoration reassembly underway!
    Register your 404: https://recensement.leclub404.com/submit.php

If it is that rare, that is more reason to restore to original rather than swap bodies. Especially if sheet metal differences are major as suggested above (firewall differences, tranny tunnel, etc.). Swapping entire swathes of sheet metal is going to require really dedicated and skilled work, alternatively just modifying one to mimic the other will leave obvious traces of non-originality which would completely change the finished product status from desirable rare original classic to personalised custom with lower potential appeal.
    Dano, Armidillo and Mike Tippett like this.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Thread Information