Peugeot 504 radiator upgrade to Commodore VL- couple of questions
  • Register
  • Help

Default Peugeot 504 radiator upgrade to Commodore VL- couple of questions

Hi all

Advertisement

I have been looking over the previous thread put up a while ago showing the fitment of a Commodore VL alloy radiator to a 504.

With the impending installation of air conditioning into my 504, I think I will head down this path. it will make it easier and neater to fit the air condenser.

The install all look pretty straight forward with the original hoses lining up and able to be used. The bottom mount looks easy and the top mounts likewise.

My first question is should I keep the original engine driven fan or remove this and install a radiator with an electric fan and shroud like this?

Aluminum Radiator FAN Shroud FOR Holden Commodore VL RB30 6CYL 52mm 1986 1988 | eBay

Second question is can I get a 4pd radiator cap to suit this radiator?

Thanks heaps

Quote Originally Posted by Pug72 View Post
    Hi all

I have been looking over the previous thread put up a while ago showing the fitment of a Commodore VL alloy radiator to a 504.

With the impending installation of air conditioning into my 504, I think I will head down this path. it will make it easier and neater to fit the air condenser.

The install all look pretty straight forward with the original hoses lining up and able to be used. The bottom mount looks easy and the top mounts likewise.

My first question is should I keep the original engine driven fan or remove this and install a radiator with an electric fan and shroud like this?

Aluminum Radiator FAN Shroud FOR Holden Commodore VL RB30 6CYL 52mm 1986 1988 | eBay

Second question is can I get a 4pd radiator cap to suit this radiator?

Thanks heaps
    I had a 505 radiator in my 404 and a 300mm diameter supercheap fan was adequate, So I suggest that the fan radiator combo in the link be would Ok.

You may find you need to remove front part of the fan clutch to fit in the radiator. So an electric fan then becomes necessary.

You will need to add a relay to run the fan and make provision to fit a 80c thermo switch to the new radiator.

Don't get too hung up on a 4 lb cap. 7 lb caps seem OK and engines with solid liner seals are fine. And the heater cores seems to survive.

I wouldn't say the same about engines with neoprene liner seal 'tho.

I'd also suggest, when you make you brackets, you electrically insulate the radiator from ground, the same as Mr Peugeot does with his brass and copper radiator. This will go a long was to reducing galvanic corrosion to which aluminium is susceptible.

Best of luck with the radiator and aircon project.
    The less one interacts with rude, ignorant, critical and argumentative members. The more peaceful life becomes.

Have you seen Mud's thread on this ? :

holden VL rb30 radiator into a 504?????????????

Quote Originally Posted by Beano View Post
    Have you seen Mud's thread on this ? :

holden VL rb30 radiator into a 504?????????????
    Presumably so, here is the first sentence from first thread post:
    I have been looking over the previous thread put up a while ago showing the fitment of a Commodore VL alloy radiator to a 504
    The less one interacts with rude, ignorant, critical and argumentative members. The more peaceful life becomes.

Yes, I read Mud's thread.....which is why I posed the question about the radiator cap. I am not sure if the radiator cap size on the VL Commodore radiator is unique or standard (so I can use the standard CPC radiator caps)

Now to buy more parts!

Now to buy more parts!
    You need to consider how you are going to arrange thermo switch for either the fan clutch or the electric fan on the new radiator.

You can't easily refit the existing 504 sensor to the holden radiator without welding a boss onto the radiator.

You can buy one of the adjustable thermo switches that is fitted via the end of radiator hose with a rubber wedge. But to my mind they are very tacky.

I have a elegant solution using a Holden "blue" engine coolant sensor and a jaycar voltage switch kit. The holden sensor should screw into one of the holes in the standard radiator.

I'll weld on a M22 x 1.5 female alloy boss to the radiator tank and use the standard 504 radiator fan switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Pug72 View Post
    I'll weld on a M22 x 1.5 female alloy boss to the radiator tank and use the standard 504 radiator fan switch.
    Presumably with a relay for an electric fan.

Of course! I've only just recently added a Davies Craig to the front of the existing Radiator and that is wired up with a relay.

I will reuse this fan on the front of the air condenser

Thread Information