peugeot 505 XN1 crankshaft questions
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default peugeot 505 XN1 crankshaft questions

hello
    before installing new pistons and liners i chekced on the main bearings, and they are gone, so inevitably and sadly the engine and crank will have to be removed. I saw in a manual that the 5 journals have different diameters, surprisingly, so how do you know which bearing goes where? are they marked or numbered?

as for endfloat and thrust bearings- do you check the endfloat before removing the crank to determine what thrust bearings to order, or only after regrinding and installing new bearings (so that you have to wait another month for new thrust bearings to arrive from abroad )?
    and what gets worn in there so that oversize thrust bearing may be needed?

Advertisement

thanks.

Fellow Frogger!

The tangs on the bearings only allow you to put the right bearings to each journal. You can measure the end float before you pull the crank out and order new thrusts if needed with your bearings while the shaft is being ground if it needs it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2pac View Post
    hello
    before installing new pistons and liners i chekced on the main bearings, and they are gone, so inevitably and sadly the engine and crank will have to be removed. I saw in a manual that the 5 journals have different diameters, surprisingly, so how do you know which bearing goes where? are they marked or numbered?

as for endfloat and thrust bearings- do you check the endfloat before removing the crank to determine what thrust bearings to order, or only after regrinding and installing new bearings (so that you have to wait another month for new thrust bearings to arrive from abroad )?
    and what gets worn in there so that oversize thrust bearing may be needed?

thanks.
    All the conrod journals start life the same diameter, and typically are all reground to the same diameter. So you will order a set a set of xx oversize rod bearings.

On every engine I've worked on the main bearings also start life the same diameter and are usually all reground to the same diameter.

So if you buy a full set of main and conrod bearing you will have a set of 9 shell pairs, 4 pairs of one size and five of another size. The only required parameter to specify is how much oversize the bearings are in each of the 2 sets of bearings.

When you come to assembly the correct bearings will only fit into the correct "holes". So installation is self evident. Make sure the caps go back on in exactly the same place and orientation as the manufacturer fitted them. They are matched to the rod and main bearing they came off.

FWIW I also check that the oil gallery holes are visible through the bearing shell holes as a bit of "belt and braces"

When you assemble the engine keep an oil can of engine oil handy. Apply liberally to the bearings as you assemble. If you don't think you have used too much oil, apply some more.

And the tangs on bearing shells are used to locate the bearing and stop them turning.

Is your crankshaft scored ?

Just to make it more convenient for yourself, you might like to scratch markings on your main bearing caps.

DEFINITELY scratch markings on your conrod caps. Just use a hacksaw blade and make tiny cuts on the front ends. Or perhaps a file...

Just to make it more convenient for yourself, you might like to scratch markings on your main bearing caps.
    A centre punch and a hammer makes the best "scratches". Remember number 1 cylinder is closest to the flywheel and mark the block as well.

Fellow Frogger!

I marked the conrods, pistons and liners with a white felt marker.
    the crank journals look ok.

I marked the conrods, pistons and liners with a white felt marker.
    the crank journals look ok.
    Markers may not survive the hot wash process, centre punch divots will.

You need to measure the journals with a micrometer. Both for diameter and out of round. Most pug engines I've recoed have just needed linishing.

After watching the Video GW posted about the manufacture of 403s I know why.

Fellow Frogger!

what's that hot wash process?

here's a table from 504 official (?) manual, showing different main journals.
    peugeot 505 XN1 crankshaft questions-7000.jpg

2pac.
    On assembly do not put oil on the back of the bearing shell.
    Take note of rod and piston location when disassembling.

what's that hot wash process?

here's a table from 504 official (?) manual, showing different main journals.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7000.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	89473
    Well there you have me. But I've never had anything to do with XM engines. According to Mr Peugeot mains aren't able to reground.
    So if there is wear or out of round a new crank is required.

Thread Information