Solex SEIEA question
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default Solex SEIEA question

Hopefully some one can confirm whether the tubes below the float bowl drain plug of the SEIEA Solex...house drain valves for mains jets...one for each main jet?

Found fuel weeping from these after changing to a younger, cleaner carby and could find nothing about them in the manual.
    Initially thought the bowl drain plug gasket was weeping; but that was not the problem. The picture FIG 3.12 in the Haynes 504 petrol manual show the two holes but says nothing about them.

Prodding the holes with a probe released some dirty fuel and so far it seems to have stopped the weep...must have cleared the crud?

Any further info appreciated

Advertisement

John

Images missing ?
    The less one interacts with rude, ignorant, critical and argumentative members. The more peaceful life becomes.

Fellow Frogger!

Solex SEIEA question-dsc05855b.jpg

Sorry about that...the two holes below the drain plug for the float bowl

Main jets. They should unscrew.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Chisholm View Post
    Main jets. They should unscrew.
    Yeah thanks Peter, I understand those are main jets. I have become good friends with them over many years.

The question relates to the small holes in the casting directly below the marked jets...these I think contain a bleed valve, one for each of the main jets...
    but nothing is stated in the Haynes or other manuals.
    If these are as I suspect it would save unscrewing the float bowl drain plug or taking the top off the carby in the event of say water or fine crud in the carby .
    By sticking a probe up these tubes each released some dirty fuel; then they sealed off and the weep stopped.
    Took the beast for decent run and it's going as well as it ever has

It was only the fact that there was a weep from both of these and float bowl drain plug and its gasket wasn't creating the leak.

I was curious if anyone had any experience with these carbies and knew of these bleed valves?

Cheers

John

Personally, I've found that particular Solex carby excellent when they are working , and device designed by the devil when they are not.

I wouldn't think twice about doing a Falcon weber conversion, based on bang for buck and the almost assured outcome.
    The less one interacts with rude, ignorant, critical and argumentative members. The more peaceful life becomes.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Personally, I've found that particular Solex carby excellent when they are working , and device designed by the devil when they are not.

I wouldn't think twice about doing a Falcon weber conversion, based on bang for buck and the almost assured outcome.
    Agree Rob,
    The exercise this time was to replace a less than optimal SEIEA with a low mileage example that i found in the stash.
    With the newer carby the red 404 did Bulli Pass in third gear today...gotta be happy about that

Thread Information