207 & 208 1.6 Thp
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 207 & 208 1.6 Thp

Hi all,

I am looking at buying a new car and am interested in the facelift 207 gti, 208 allure Sport & 208 gti. As you can likely guess, I have not finalised the budget.

The thing that concerns me about all these cars are the negative things that I have read about the 1.6 Thp. Specifically the coked up valves and timing chain problems.

Advertisement

I know that these issues were particularly prevalent on the early engines. But I wanted to know if there were issues on later model 207 gti's and early 208 allure Sport/gti's?

1000+ Posts

All modern direct injection engines, all makes, have the valve clag problem. One of the best cleaners is put out by Subaru, for example. Just clean regularly.

The first examples of the 1.6 THP engine (Peugeot, Citroen, BMW) had the infamous timing chain problem. I'll guess that by now most have had a replacement (many in the warranty period, it must have hurt PSA). There have been amendments to the system, and there are now several engines in the family, some with much higher tune than the original, and with some modificztions, such as to the HP pump. I haven't heard of the problem with the newer higher output engines.

Tadpole

How do I determine if the engine has coked up valves on a test drive? Or would I just buy it and then run the car with sea foam/Subaru equivalent cleaner?
    If the engine has not been cleaned before, how much damage would occur from not cleaning the valves?

Also, has anyone seen a 208 GTi go for around the 15k mark before? The place I worked for sold a 2014 GTi with 5,000 k's for 20k.

1000+ Posts

Thanks to rapid depreciation your money might go further with a Citroen DS3 DSport. A different hatch body, but on the same base, with the 1.6 THP motor and 6 speed manual. There are several 2nd hand online with lowish kms. These little beasts are goers too.

Tadpole

Thanks for the reply.

I have also noticed that the DS3 is excellent value for money. If I wind up with a French car, it will likely be either a 208 Allure Sport or the DS3 DSport given my budget. I expect that the DS3 would come out in front if I am able to find a cheap 2013 model with the standard Sat Nav. RS Clio 197/200 will also get a look in too.

However I am also considering a Golf GTI (Mk V), Alfa Giulietta and Focus XR5.
    Last edited by Har Vee; 19th September 2016 at 05:52 PM.

Thread Information