407 Manual Gearbox Oil
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: 407 Manual Gearbox Oil

Tadpole

Default 407 Manual Gearbox Oil

Just put the 407 in for its 80k service and asked the mechanic to check the gearbox oil as it's very easy to grate the gears. He reckons the box is sealed for life. Is this right?

Advertisement

Cheers Stephen

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

sealed for life my arse. Where does this crap come from ? The gears should NEVER grate. Stick some fresh oil and nulon G70 in it (if the synchros are baulky when cold).

You'll never hurt something by changing it's oil ... Sealed for life stuff ... is generally sealed "for life" for sure. It's just a very, very short life.

seeya,
    shane L.
    Roland likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

1000+ Posts

Which box? The BE3/5 and the MCM both use 75W80. The 6 speeder has the larger capacity at a bit over 2L.

Tadpole

Its the 6 speed, 2006 so not sure of the model No. It only grates if you change gears quickly but I still thinks its too easy too do. If someone else drives it they invariably make some noise.

Cheers

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

I have a 6spd. It never grates gears that I can recall ............. I'd suggest changing the oil and adding nulon G70. It does work miracles in abused gearboxes!

Um, say, is the clutch completelly dis-engaging when you push it to the floor That could be another reason for grating.

seeya,
    Shane L.
    Roland likes this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Nulon G70 and a change of oil quietened down my 406s gearbox and made gearchanges noticeably smoother.

1000+ Posts

This is the fill point for the MCM 6 speed. There is no level plug )filled for life!), so the quantity needs to be measured.
    407 Manual Gearbox Oil-screenshot-2.jpg

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    This is the fill point for the MCM 6 speed. There is no level plug )filled for life!), so the quantity needs to be measured.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot-2.jpg 
Views:	7141 
Size:	86.0 KB 
ID:	89112
    Thanks for that, I take it that is the view down through the engine bay looking onto the top of the box, hence no fill level. Any idea about the exact amount that goes in?

Cheers
    Stephen

1000+ Posts

There is some info for the 6 speed box as fitted to the 1.6 turbo engine at MC MANUAL GEARBOX AND BVM6 AND EP6DT INJECTION

It looks like this:
    407 Manual Gearbox Oil-mcm.jpg
    or this:
    407 Manual Gearbox Oil-gearbox.jpg

That is the wrong type of gearbox. The 6 speed fitted to the 407 is the ml6c. The filling point is on top of the via the breather. Filling from dry is 2.1lL, So 2L will be fine and 75w-80 is the weight.

407 Manual Gearbox Oil-20mb01_przod_lubunnowe.jpg
    2006 Peugeot 206 Xt
    1991 Toyota mx83 grande 1jzgte

1000+ Posts

Thanks for the clarification. I did ask which box was used. So please ignore MCM info.

Tadpole

Quick update on the gearbox. Changed the oil and added the Nulon. Gearchange is very smooth now and no grating no matter how fast you throw the stick about. Mechanic was swearing the whole time he did the job getting the oil in through the breather. Still he bought a brand new 505 years ago that had a badly fitted welch plug that spewed oil all over his new driveway. He's never forgiven the French.

Thanks for all the assistance.

Cheers
    Stephen
    JohnW and Roland like this.

1000+ Posts

That's one of the times one of these is handy: 407 Manual Gearbox Oil-transmission-funnel.jpg

I filled my 406 manual gearbox via the breather as well. Easy to do if you use an appropriately sized funnel.

Apart from clutch problems and worn synchros etc, difficult gear changes with a manual D9 406 can also be caused by the gear selector cables failing. Earlier 406s had gear selector rods rather than cables and don't have that problem.
    Last edited by Peter C; 13th October 2016 at 06:51 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

Sealed for life = for the term of the warranty period only.
    bluey504, .john and Roland like this.

Tadpole

Hallo, my name is John and I am from Greece. This is my first post. I have a Citroen C4 Diesel with an MCM 6 speed manual Gearbox. I want to replace the gearbox oil. This is a photo of the breather cap. When i remove the plastic cap, i just pour the oil through the hole revealed, as in the second photo. Am I correct? Thank you in advance.

Στάλθηκε από το C6603 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Welcome Yani, there will be plenty of information if you use the AF website and use the Google search bar on the top right. There will also be a few members happy to provide the information.
    Kalimera
    Dimi

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app

1000+ Posts

These are the illustrations for the MCM from the Citroen handbook. There is a fair amount of removing to get at the filler. Your picture shows it. Use a long neck, preferably flexible, funnel. There is no level plug, so you will need to measure quantity.

I don't know about a diesel C4, but for a DS3 you have to move aside the suspension stiffening bar to put a socket onto the drain.

The book says:
    Quantity of oil to fill after draining: 2.1 +_ 0.1L
    Quantity of oil to fill after an overhaul: 2.2 +_ 0.1L
    Oil quality: 75W80
    407 Manual Gearbox Oil-mcm-drain.jpg407 Manual Gearbox Oil-mcm-filler.jpg
    Last edited by seasink; 3rd August 2017 at 08:54 AM.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by dimistyle View Post
    Welcome Yani, there will be plenty of information if you use the AF website and use the Google search bar on the top right. There will also be a few members happy to provide the information.
    Kalimera
    Dimi

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app
    Thank you. After a lot of searching about the gearbox oil flush i found your forum. I will check your site too because you have information that I didn't find anywhere else . Google's only photos about MCM gearbox led me to your website.

In Greece it is late night right now.
    Kalimera!
    :-)

Tadpole

These are the illustrations for the MCM from the Citroen handbook. There is a fair amount of removing to get at the filler. Your picture shows it. Use a long neck, preferably flexible, funnel. There is no level plug, so you will need to measure quantity.

I don't know about a diesel C4, but for a DS3 you have to move aside the suspension stiffening bar to put a socket onto the drain.

The book says:

Name:	mcm drain.jpg 
Views:	2391 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	98872Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mcm filler.jpg 
Views:	5857 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	98873
    The only things i have to remove are the air intake tube and the right gear cable shown in my photo. I have the right funnel and my hand can reach the filler easily. I have already tested that. The only thing i don't know is how to open the filler. I just have to remove the plastic cap or I have to do something more before placing the funnel?
    This is a photo of my drain plug. If i am right I only have to remove the protector and then i can easily put the socket.

I know there is no level plug. Oil comes to 2Lt bottle so there is no need to measure.

1000+ Posts

Καλησπέρα
    Filling is through the breather fitting. Don't forget the 0.1 litre. I add some PTFE friction additive to make up this amount. Here is the French for the DS3 with that transmission -
    407 Manual Gearbox Oil-mcm-vidange.jpg
    dimistyle and .john like this.

On my 406 the actual filler plug looks like a removable bolt on the end of the gearbox. I filled via the oil breather opening and filled until it started overflowing from the filler plug at the end of the gearbox. I could've filled via the correct filler hole, it's just that via the breather was easier. Hope this makes sense. The Nulon G70 made a real difference.

1000+ Posts

It's a Citroen wandering amongst the Pugs Peter. The MCM 6 speed fills from the top, and there is no side plug to show when it is full.

Yeh, wondered if there is a difference. No side plug = saves a few manufacturing francs I suppose.

Tadpole

Καλησπέρα
    Filling is through the breather fitting. Don't forget the 0.1 litre. I add some PTFE friction additive to make up this amount. Here is the French for the DS3 with that transmission -

Name:	mcm-vidange.jpg 
Views:	1376 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	98874
    As I see in the photo it is the same gearbox. Do I have to remove the breather to fill it or I can fill it through the breathers' hole?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information