306 flat spot off idle
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 306 flat spot off idle

My son's 1996 306 has developed a flat spot just as you apply throttle . It is a 1.8 litre auto .
    He drove over decent pothole and not long after that the car developed this flat spot . I wondered if the spark plugs were playing a part as I wasn't sure how long they had been in the car . After a change it is still there . I have driven the car and it goes fine once the accelerator is down a bit . If you coast down hills with your foot off the accelerator it won't, do it but apply the lightest pressure and the engine drops a couple of hundred RPM . Put the foot down and it behaves perfectly . I was wondering if a bit crap in the tank was stirred up and is finding its way through to the injectors . Any ideas would be appreciated .

Thanks in advance , Keith

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Spoke to my mechanic today . He doesn't think it is fuel but he would be looking for a vacuum line that has been dislodged . He wondered about the throttle positioner but his bet is on the vacuum line . Wish me luck

Fellow Frogger!

All fixed . Turned out to be throttle positioner stepping motor . I think that is what it called . Faces forward on throttle body , such an easy fix for a great result . Hayden from Pugwreck put me onto this one . A fairly common failure on 306's

It certainly is a common problem and if it hasn't been replaced yet, your car has probably done less than 200,000km.

I'm surprised no-one jumped in on this one earlier.

Happy motoring.
    racing 405
    1:59:09 last time at Phillip Island - less than standard Mi16.

Thread Information