• Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 4cvg

Thread: 207GTi Tyres

Default 207GTi Tyres

Hi all,

Advertisement

I'm due a new set of tyres (4) on my 207GTi and have been looking around. This is the first set of tyres I've bought since I purchased the car, the current 4 are relative cheapies and based on the road noise and grip it shows.

I enjoy driving the car with some vigor so I'm happy to spend the money on 4 quality tyres. My research was pointing me toward the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 but it appears they don't make them in 205/45/R17W88.

The other options I've found are the Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE003s which have a decent reputation but are noisier than the PS3 from what I've read and possibly don't last as long. I've also found the Michelin Primacy 3 but I don't know how they compare to the PS3s or the RE003s.

Any GTi drivers care to share what they've got on theirs? Or have any of those three tyres on their other vehicles and care to give me a steer. I've never spent much on tyres as I've only ever owned cheap run-abouts.

Cheers

I just shod my megane 225 (225/45r17) in re003, and am a little underwhelmed.

There are way to many variables….A new car I'm getting used to for starters, and nothing to compare them to…. but i'm finding the limits a little bit too quickly and too often…Abs coming on and have under steered a few times, luckily with plenty of run off each time.
    Maybe it is just me being over enthusiastic, but overcooking corners is not my usual style.
    Jo

Wait till it rains!
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

I've been really happy with the RE003s on my 206GTI, wet or dry. Noticeably better than the Pirelli PZero Neros that were on it before. I'll buy a set for my Xantia as well, I think.

Kim

1000+ Posts

205?

Yes the PS3 & the RE003 should be on a shortlist.

I've only seen one test of the RE003 (Choice) & basically the PS3 was faster around a simple circle in the wet & the RE003 faster in the dry. Same order for braking. Yes, the RE003 would not last as long as the PS3.

I've fitted the RE003 (215/60-16) to my wife's & a daughter's Foresters. Good grip & response wet & dry & benign limit behaviour - not noticeably noisy. I've had an exploratory "go" in my wife's & was impressed enough to fit them to my daughter's car as well. More below under '225'.

What else?

The Primacy3 is down a class to "premium touring" & is more a competitor of the T001 Bridgestone or the Pirelli P7. It's one of Michelin's better efforts (with a bit of a weakness in the wet) but I can't imagine why one would get it over the PS3 in this context.

There's not a huge choice in the size but 3 other possibilities which you don't mention are:

Bridgestone's S001, Pirelli's P Zero (not the Nero) & Continental's SportContact 5.

The S001 has mixed test results but the SC5 is consistently a front runner. Not as crisp as the best in the class but best wet grip in class. The PZ is an old type (just replaced) but good in wet & dry. I'd normally suggest that it's crisper than the SC5 but the SC5 in your size is an XL version & that will give it 2 ply sidewalls & crispen response.

I think that, even though it's all a matter of your priorities, you would find any of the above (excepting the Primacy 3) to be fine as a "fast-fang" tyre. I prioritise wet grip (& tyre pressure tune a soggier carcass for handling crispness - not that that will work if it's tread instability that's at fault - and from Jo's past PS3 experience of them not responding to increased pressure, that might be an issue).

Best grip in the wet would be the SC5 & I think that it is a pretty clear winner here (despite some earlier blogger reports that had the RE003 equalling it). And in XL form its main comparative weakness, less crisp turn-in than class leaders - the PZ & RE003 in this company - is strengthened a bit.

So, my rank ordering would be:

- SC5
    - P Zero
    - PS3
    - RE003
    - S001

If the replacement can wait until November, then I predict that Conti will have another of their "4 for the price of 3" deals. Bridgestone do these as well & other manufacturers sometimes offer $50 or $100 cash back deals.

225?

I found Jo's remarks about the behaviour of the RE003 to be a bit of a surprise - especially if it were to be a report of dry road behaviour.

Of course given the vehicle & given that it's my wife's "daily driver", my "go" was more nine tenths than eleven tenths. That said, I did get the rear to move in the wet & found the tyre to be very talkative about what it was doing & about to do & then very responsive to remedial interventions. Mind you, the taller sidewalls of the Forester size would make it less "snappy" at the limit than the RS.

As the RE003 is about as crisp and dry-grippy as it gets in this size for a sporting road tyre, if you (Jo) had your "moments" in the dry then I am unsure what to recommend. Perhaps a road legal "trackday" type like the Yoko AD 08 R or Hankook's R-S3 Z222 might suit.

As for the wet, my rank order would be:

- Again, the SC5 - (&, again, an XL version is available & recommended)
    - Goodyear's new F1 Asymmetric3
    - P Zero
    - PS3
    - Yoko V105 or Hankook S1 Evo2 or RE003
    - S001 Bridgestone

For either size, have a browse at:

Tyres by Brand - Tyre Reviews

Choose the tyre, then the 'all tests' tab & then read on.

cheers! Peter
    jo proffi likes this.

As usual, Peter, thanks for your informed post.

I checked pressures yesterday( as per tyre shop setting)…. very high, 42 psi al round, so have reduced to 36/32 psi and will take it from there.
    Like i said, far too many variables to be sure of any cause, but what started in the inside lane ended in the middle lane.
    Maybe I'm just coming to terms with the fact that the 225 is such a benign car to drive whereas a non PAS car that roars and complains and shouts its information at me was more my standard.
    It is running close on twice the power I'm familiar too with so maybe I simply over cooked it.

One thing was clear though, I didn't really feel the lack of adhesion… which might be the excessive pressure not giving me the feed back.
    If I complained in the past about the ps3 turning to shit at 9.5, this is the exact opposite. Didn't recognise 10/10
    Will see how the new pressures go.

Jo

Thanks Peter, I can probably hold out to November and the Continental Sport Contact 5 are a similar price to the RE003s. Had a weird exchange with the local Bridgestone store yesterday though.

I asked for a quote on the RE003s and he told me that Bridgestone don't make the RE003 in 205/45/R17 (despite the fact Jax are selling them and recommend that size for my car) but he recommended 215/40/R17s in the RE003 'as being with the legal size range'. I currently have 205s on my car and understand that size is stock for the 207GTi. Am I wrong?

Anyone know if there is an issue putting 215/40s on my car?

1000+ Posts

I have a DSport with the same size 205/45R17, and tyre noise is not good. You wouldn't guess it's a Citroen. When they finally wear out I'll have to find something less noisy too, and preferably affordable.

PS Does anyone know anything about Toyo? As well as the makes above, they do this size.
    Last edited by seasink; 15th September 2016 at 03:02 PM.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    <snip>

PS Does anyone know anything about Toyo? As well as the makes above, they do this size.
    I assume that you refer to the Proxes 4. I know of no tests of it but Toyo have a generally poor reputation for wet grip &, for what they're worth, user reviews complain of poor wet grip at Tyre Reviews. I can't imagine why you'd buy them given the options.

cheers! Peter
    Last edited by 4cvg; 16th September 2016 at 11:41 PM.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    As usual, Peter, thanks for your informed post.

I checked pressures yesterday( as per tyre shop setting)…. very high, 42 psi al round, so have reduced to 36/32 psi and will take it from there.
    Like i said, far too many variables to be sure of any cause, but what started in the inside lane ended in the middle lane.
    Maybe I'm just coming to terms with the fact that the 225 is such a benign car to drive whereas a non PAS car that roars and complains and shouts its information at me was more my standard.
    It is running close on twice the power I'm familiar too with so maybe I simply over cooked it.

One thing was clear though, I didn't really feel the lack of adhesion… which might be the excessive pressure not giving me the feed back.
    If I complained in the past about the ps3 turning to shit at 9.5, this is the exact opposite. Didn't recognise 10/10
    Will see how the new pressures go.

Jo
    Hmm! My memory is that the 225 has electric PAS & not as talkative a version of it as later iterations of the R5 Megane. My inclination is to think that the PAS is a huge part of the feel problem. You're right about the tyre pressures but, given what you're used to, I'm inclined to blame car, not tyre. I loathe PAS (except on my old FJ 55 in tight manoeuvring off road or my Fire Brigade's truck). None of my 4 toys has it &, even though my wife's 2006 Forester has hydraulic, not electric, PAS which is not overdone, whenever I drive it, I make a mental adjustment.

cheers! Peter

Quote Originally Posted by 4cvg View Post
    Hmm! My memory is that the 225 has electric PAS & not as talkative a version of it as later iterations of the R5 Megane. My inclination is to think that the PAS is a huge part of the feel problem. You're right about the tyre pressures but, given what you're used to, I'm inclined to blame car, not tyre. I loathe PAS (except on my old FJ 55 in tight manoeuvring off road or my Fire Brigade's truck). None of my 4 toys has it &, even though my wife's 2006 Forester has hydraulic, not electric, PAS which is not overdone, whenever I drive it, I make a mental adjustment.

cheers! Peter
    Just as a follow up……. with reduced pressures have just returned from a few laps of the 'race track'.

The tyre pressures made all the difference.
    AT 42psi there was just no communication and grip was all or nothing.
    At 36 there was the familiar shredding feeling and even managed to get a bit of squealing sound during some of the corners.

The 'race track' is fenced with armco rails or sandstone walls most the way and has zero room for error, at least on right hand corners.
    Consequently I took things rather gently for a while, but once I learned what the tyre was saying to me, confidence returned and speeds increased to the normal pace and even plus some at times.

I have no complaints of the 225 steering. It is light for sure, but a very fast rack so I don't really blame the car for the lack of feed back. There is enough.

Reading a stack of (mostly useless) online comments on the re003, I found one or two people who'd had similar experiences to me….All then nothing, so I do think it is a characteristic that needs to be considered (if you drive like a hoon) with what is reported to be a stiff side walled tyre.

I was tossing up getting some PS3 which I know are very comfortable for crappy roads as well as being communicative as you approach the limit (putting it nicely), but was worried doing so would diminish my enjoyment of driving the car in this zone.

For the first time in my life, I find myself reducing tyre pressures from 40ish PSI and actually following manufacturers recomendations.

So... Now i'm not as underwhelmed as I was earlier in the week.

Jo

1000+ Posts

That seems to fit. Not only are the RE003s on the Forester a taller tyre, my fang on them was on the standard pressures I've chosen for my wife - 34psi all round.
    With a sloppier-structured tyre type, your 4Os pressures would suit better. (I used to run such pressures on X, ZX & XZX at the rear of rear-engined Renaults.)
    On steering: quickness of a rack is fine but so is less "feel-masking" over-assistance. The messages would be subtler & of less duration with a taut tyre over-pressured but better steering feel would help you sense those messages. It's a pity that the PAS doesn't have an "off" switch.
    cheers! Peter

The lower pressures will allow your tyres to develop more heat - more grip and increased wear being the results.

I have 235/40/18 PS3's on the R26 and can't fault them. The R26 as a model has a reputation for wearing rear tyres quite quickly, and the PS3's wear so evenly it's uncanny. The only difference in wear that I notice is that both left hand tyres wear quicker than both right hand tyres !

Shame you can't get PS3 in your size, but I would recommend staying with the original size. When a dealer tells you that a similar size will 'be ok mate' they're just trying to make a sale when they think you might go elsewhere - which you should do !

Have a look at ContiSportContact 3 as well - they've been re-released in many sizes and are cheaper than CSC5's while still offering fantastic grip.

Cheers

Justin
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '10 308 Sportium Touring
    '12 Megane RS265 8:08

Sooo back to my question, I had a weird exchange with the local Bridgestone store.

I asked for a quote on the RE003s and he told me that Bridgestone don't make the RE003 in 205/45/R17 (despite the fact Jax are selling them and recommend that size for my car) but he recommended 215/40/R17s in the RE003 'as being within the legal size range'. I currently have 205s on my car and understand that size is stock for the 207GTi. Am I wrong?

Anyone know if there is an issue putting 215/40s on my car?

1000+ Posts

I can't speak for the 207 GTI but, generally, 215/40 should be fine in substitution for 205/45. Almost identical circumference (thus gearing), more dry grip, less wet grip &, likely, a narrower band of transient behaviour at the limit. You'll get a $100 cash-back deal. So would you on the S001, which Bridgestone's site asserts is available in 205/45. Have a bit of a trawl on it at the Tyre Reviews site.

Mind you, the Bridgestone site also lists the RE003 in 205/45.

"205/45R17"

Perhaps ask some other retailer to ring Bridgestone for you to check availability.

cheers! Peter

Thread Information