• Help
Like Tree9Likes
  • 7 Post By findog
  • 2 Post By findog

Thread: 205 GTI - lives again

Tadpole

Default 205 GTI - lives again

Hi all,

I've just got my '87 205 GTI on the road, the enthusiasm at home isn't bursting at the seams so I thought I'd share the news with people who may give a toss. I bought it about five months ago and set about getting it back on the road, it's my 3rd Pug, I've had 2 404s a while ago but always wanted a GTI.

Getting back on the road wasn't too major: Timing belt, water pump, replaced hoses with silicone - cooling system, oil breather hoses, SAD hoses, vacuum hoses. Brake booster, master cylinder, shock tower bracket, shock tower rubbers, distributor, engine mounts, light weight crank pulley, wiper mechanism, battery, a set of Yokohama A050s, coolant flush and probably a few other things I've already forgotten about and a general all round clean up.

It came with some nice stuff, bilstein all round, semi racing cam, pod filter, front strut brace, Frerodo pads, 2 inch exhaust, 405 SRI head, lower ratio gears (from the 1.6 I think).

I took it for it's first decent drive today after getting the club plates on Friday and smiled from ear to ear, handles beautifully and just keeps pulling. I can't wait to get it on a track. I have an Elfin clubman which I regularly track and it'll be interesting to see how it compares. Pic below of the new beast.

205 GTI - lives again-img_1140.jpg

Advertisement
    FIVEDOOR, Matthew, lion5 and 4 others like this.

Fellow Frogger!

Nice work findog!

You'll have to take a few more pics to show all of the new loveliness... especially the engine bay :-).

Do you know what cam is in it? Any known ECU tweaks?

There are a few other GTi owners about to fit new hoses... any takeouts from your experience?

Cheers

griffo

Tadpole

Thanks Griffo, some more pics attached, sorry they're a bit dark but I just ducked out to the shed.

I believe the cam is a TIHGE (excuse spelling), I'm not sure of any ECU tweaks, will have to investigate.

The hose install was fairly straight forward. My simple approach was to do one hose at a time to make sure I put it back in the right spot (I need to keep things simple...). I had to remove the AFM & associated hosing & battery & battery bracket to get access but that was about it. The oil breather hoses near the radiator were a little tricky to access. I bought the Baker BM kits from their site, worth getting the hose clamp kits with it, it just makes it simple to have them all there in the right sizes and avoid another trip to Pirtek.

If you're doing the radiator kit, don't do what I did and do the kit and then a week later do the water pump which obviously required another lot of coolant.

Some more pics below:
    205 GTI - lives again-img_1138.jpg205 GTI - lives again-img_1141.jpg205 GTI - lives again-img_1192.jpg205 GTI - lives again-img_1194.jpg205 GTI - lives again-img_1195.jpg
    SLC206 and pug-life like this.

1000+ Posts

Nicely done, colour on the pipework makes it good to see where they go, you enlightened me!

Impressive.
    87 S1 205 GTI / GTI6 powered a project underway
    306 convertible (gti6 candidate)
    307 HDi wagon
    407 HDi wagon

Icon6

G'day findog,
    looks pretty good. More pics required, of course. Lots and lots of pics, please.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

1000+ Posts

Nice. Definite enthusiasm here for any newly resurrected 205.

I've found my Baker BM oil hose, specifically the one going up to the rocker cover on the 405, sort of 'sweats' oil, like it's porous. Weird. So it's always covered in tiny spots of oil. There's no oil on any other parts, so it's not coming from elsewhere.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Nice work! Its always nice when you do all the work and then go for a nice rewarding drive!
    205 GTi T16

205 CTi

Default 205 GTI - lives again

Excellent another silver one back on the road, well done and congrats sounds like a fun first drive with lots of smiles!

Thread Information