Peugeot 504L gear lever
  • Register
  • Help

Default Peugeot 504L gear lever

Hi folks how common was the Peugeot 504L gear lever in Australia. We had this floorshift box on a limited number of 404s in South Africa(pic attached for reference) and I'm going to need linkages for it soon and I imagine it's not going to be easy to source because from what I understand the linkages are different to those of later 504s and column shifted 404s, am I right?Peugeot 504L gear lever-%24_20-1-.jpg

Advertisement

Happy to be corrected, but the answer to that would be "not at all". I think that the L was a base model with rear drum brakes etc. We never got that one. As with all imports, at the time, the relatively small numbers meant that all importers had to maximise their returns, by up-speccing the cars they brought in. Base models were never going to do that.

Further, I do not ever recall seeing a 404 with a factory floor shift. Having seen brand new ones on the docks in Marseille in 1982, not even that late model had a floor shift. Pretty neat though, a nice 5-speed injection would be a nice car to drive.

VIP Sponsor

None were sold here but probably an early 504 wagon would have the same shift.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmund View Post
    Hi folks how common was the Peugeot 504L gear lever in Australia. We had this floorshift box on a limited number of 404s in South Africa(pic attached for reference) and I'm going to need linkages for it soon and I imagine it's not going to be easy to source because from what I understand the linkages are different to those of later 504s and column shifted 404s, am I right?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_20 (1).jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	88910

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    None were sold here but probably an early 504 wagon would have the same shift.
    Yes, early 504 wagon is the same. Not sure when the wagons changed, but may have been when they adopted the 505 floorpan (1979?).
    NZ Fleet
    1976 504 Ti
    1984 205 GT twin carb
    1991 205 SI 1.6GTI motor
    1994 106 Xsi
    1996 Mondeo V6
    Aus Fleet
    1955 203C
    1997 Civic Cxi (great allrounder- revy, flexible, nimble, comfortable , economical, simple and durable )

The more common Sth African 404 floor shift was a fulray.

The name came from the two people who produced them. Story in the thread below.

Also pictures of a fulray: Fulray - 404 floor shift

Yes the fulray remains a popular floorshifted in South Africa. Just about every 404 you will come across has a fulray floorshift. It was a good aftermarket product but we also had factory floorshifts on our 404s in South Africa, 4997 built. Another country that had factory ones was Argentina

Thread Information