205GTI underfloor boot mat
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By acf321

Thread: 205GTI underfloor boot mat

Default 205GTI underfloor boot mat

Just a quick query if I may.

I not that there was sound deadening glued to the underside of my rear parcel shelf which I have picked off ... I also note that below the rear luggage floor mat there is a ~1" thick blanket of heat / sound insulation, which sits on top of a thin layer of grey foam.

Question is, if this 1" thick 'mat' supposed to be there? I think NOT, and perhaps it's a function of the stupid exhaust that currently resides on this car. I am planning to remove the thick blanket, and then reinstate the OEM mat with the OEM plugs, that have since pulled out of the floor, due in part I think to the thick black mat...

Advertisement

Any photo of what sits below the rear black boot liner would be greatly appreciated. Lastly one for the complete nutters (like me), are the floor plugs just pushed into the holes, OR were they glued there by the factory?

Also ..if you're reading this.. please see my parts list, as I need a few small / simple bits for the rear to make it whole again!

Cheers all

The ~1" thick blanket of heat / sound insulation under the boot mat sounds right. It should be a tan coloured jute type of material topped by a thin black bitumous/rubber layer.

The floor plugs come in two parts - a clear 'socket' which just pushes into the corresponding hole in the boot floor and a black plug which then pushes into the socket. They are still available new if needed.

205GTI underfloor boot mat-img_0398.jpgmight help. yours does not sound standard. the greeny jute is not 1inch think
    S3 205 GTI x 4 and getting lower
    1998 S1 Lotus Elise
    2013 Fiesta ST
    2014 Audi SQ5

I recently tackled this issue and agree with Richard W. The problem with the original stuff is that after 20 plus years it has mostly crumbled and decayed and been flattened to only resemble a shadow of its former self. This means that when you put the plugs in the floor they stand a little higher than they should (ie. so they may not be flush to the floor of the top mat). I solved this by leaving the original decaying material underneath and buying some insulation material to put over the top from a car interior trimmer to make up the "gap").

vc

as i mentioned to you Adam: and anyone else reading this

go to a wreckers and pickup a 206 (perhaps even 307s would fit provided you cut them to size) boot mat.
    The soundproofing fit perfect.
    Pour le peuple colonisé, la valeur la plus essentielle, parce que la plus concrète, c'est d'abord la terre: la terre qui doit assurer le pain et, bien sûr, la dignité.

i'll get out there and have a better look this weekend. I think I have a really fat blanket thing that is perhaps a function of the exhaust. I've just spent about 4 hours removing contact adhesive and foam residue from the underside of my rear tray (which I need one strong for !!) as there was a fat layer of insulation glued to it. I am just thinking that the fat underlay is an add-on given the issues with the loud exhaust.

Clark Rubber sell a nice grey foam alternative, if you're not concerned about winning concourse.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

ok I worked it out folks. I DO have that thick jute layer that Richard described so eloquently, and Isis photographed, however what was fattening up things was a ~3/4" layer of grey foam that was sitting between the steel and the jute layer. The whole thing just looked like a swollen mess. I made an executive decision that the grey foam layer is NOT OEM so I took the liberty of removing that. I reinstalled the Jute layer and everything appears to be sitting / fitting a little more comfortably as a result.

The jute is a little shabby, but absolutely still very serviceable. I may however glue the plugs into place, as some wear on their clear shafts appear to mean they are not staying where they need to be. Of course, I may just buy a new set.
    CEyssens likes this.

Thread Information