• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: HELP 405 Mi16 Oil Sensors

Tadpole

Default HELP 405 Mi16 Oil Sensors

Hello guys,

I'm in urgent need of the two oil sensors at the front of the block on the 1991 405 Mi16 XU9J4 motor. My oil pressure gauge works when the key is on, but retires to the low level once the car is started. There is also a buzzing alarm once started. There is also a leak coming from the same area.

I cannot find the part numbers for these sensors anywhere. I am in the US and that is the only way I can find them on eBay. Help!

Advertisement

Thank you!

1000+ Posts

Yuzi, there isn't an oil pressure gauge on the Mi16. The gauge shows oil level when the key is on, and then oil temperature once the engine starts. You'll note the backlighting of the gauge (red/white) lights while just the key is on, to show oil level, then turns off when the car starts.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey View Post
    Yuzi, there isn't an oil pressure gauge on the Mi16. The gauge shows oil level when the key is on, and then oil temperature once the engine starts. You'll note the backlighting of the gauge (red/white) lights while just the key is on, to show oil level, then turns off when the car starts.
    What would cause oil temperature to read constant zero?

1000+ Posts

Probably a knackered wire. They get fried on the back of the block and go crumbly. See this thread:

mi16 oil temp/level sensor

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

1000+ Posts

Im pritty sure theres a pressure switch on the front of the block to the left ,that operates a warning light or buzzer ,sounds to me thats cracked and faulty, leaking ,i replaced mine without removing the manifold but it was tricky ,oil level sensor is on the rear of the bloch and yes the wires get fried by by the exhaust, pugs

There's no oil pressure gauge, only a light. There are two sensors on the front of the block, under the inlet manifold, but only one, the smaller one, has a wire fitted, for the light.

On the rear of the block there is an oil level sensor. Two red wires (#224 and #225) traveling to it usually get burnt from the exhaust and thus they might be shorting out. The oil level only checks before starting. Thus this sounds like your issue.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Fellow Frogger!

So 1 is the pressure sensor that triggers the light.

What is 2? Temperature?

and oil level is the one the back?

#1 is the oil pressure light switch, in both 205 & 405
    #2 is the oil pressure gauge sensor, used in 205 only
    oil level is on the back, near cylinder #1, under exhaust manifold, on 405 only.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

1000+ Posts

...and before you ask, #2 IS meant to be there on the 405 as well, but just not used as Peter said. I asked this question when I first got mine.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Why would they have a sender if it is not used? And, more importantly, why would you not have an oil pressure gauge in a car like the Mi16?!

Just wondering. Is this the case with XU10 engines as well (can't remember mine, I always thought it had an oil pressure gauge)?
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

VIP Sponsor

So as to use the same block set up for both cars, may have been better to fit a blanking plug I guess. Ask Peugeot why they didn't fit a pressure gauge but useless in my opinion, what are you going to do if it reads low? You just need a light to tell you if oil pressure has failed.

Redundancy.

The oil pressure switch might fail in a way that does not turn the warning light on, or the globe might burn out, etc.

Besides, long term observation of the instruments can help you get a feel for what your engine is doing as an indirect means of diagnosing all sorts of problems (failing alternators for instance).

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

1000+ Posts

If you are driving an mi16 properly you wont have time to look at guages, i guess .pugs

1000+ Posts

I reckon it was just easier to equip all blocks the same, ready for use in any model. They figured it was cheaper to spend a little more on putting a sender on each block, than having to make the swap at the time of fitting it up for the specific model. Weird I know.

I asked on this forum the first time I had the inlet manifold off when I saw the unused 'can' on the block.
    Last edited by Stuey; 8th September 2016 at 07:28 PM.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Or maybe there are markets where the cars have an oil pressure gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    Or maybe there are markets where the cars have an oil pressure gauge.
    Only WA 2L models apparently.
    SLC206 likes this.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

My 205 has a pressure gauge and no warning light.

Won't the STOP (engine) light come on if you lose oil pressure?
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

Tadpole

Okay to clarify,

1. The green sensor is the oil pressure light switch, the second sensor is not used on the XU9J4Z (which signifies models with emissions equipment, iirc)
    2. The consensus is a bad wire.

But what is causing the massive leak above the oil filter? Wouldn't that be the green oil pressure light switch?

The leak must be one of the two sensors. Replace them both. Have you looked on eBay?

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

1000+ Posts

The filler tube were you put the oil in ,goes down and attaches to the side of the block ,has a couple of spigots for smaller hoses ,prone to cracking amd falling apart ,been a long time since iv had one of these ,but someone on here should be able to tell you what the fix is ,try pouring some oil in and see if its leaking out there ,or could be blowing out with crankcase preasure , pugs

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    The leak must be one of the two sensors. Replace them both. Have you looked on eBay?
    There are too many variations in part number depending on the eBay vendor. I made this post hoping someone had the actual Peugeot part number to use

Don't worry too much about part numbers. If the thread is correct, they'll do fine.

If you had an oil pressure gauge, you might need the correct sender, but the switch is pretty much the same on all cars bar irrelevant details.

I think the thread is M10 on the gauge sender and not sure about the switch. Pull them out and see. But how would a sender leak? Internal damage?

Anyhoo. Get them out, have a look and order senders that fit the thread. Come to think of it, I would just try to find a blanking plug for the gauge sender.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 8th February 2017 at 12:29 PM.

Oil Pressure Switch (Green)-1131 14

Oil Pressure Sender-1131 69
    Track car-Steel Grey 405 Mi16 2.2 litre

405 Track car build thread moved to-
    http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index...ic=143279&st=0

Lap times-
    Sandown 1 27.9
    Phillip Island 1 53.8

Previous Frenchies-
    1988 205Gti
    1998 306 GTi6
    1997 306 N5 sedan
    1996 306 N3 XT hatch
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Avocado
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Trak Yellow
    1975 Renault 5 Guernsey, Channel Islands
    1972 Renault 4 Guernsey, Channel Islands

1000+ Posts

Could also be the seal between the block and the heat exchanger ,gone brittle ,it may seem a big job but the wiring in that area is prone to be oil and heat effected so removing the inlet manifold and having a good clean up in that area is not a bad idea ,if you have the time ,pugs ps although there are a few plastic bits that could be damaged on the way

1000+ Posts

I reckon the rubber oil hoses are leaking. I replaced mine with Baker silicone ones in black, and it stopped my leak completely.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information