Engine Stalling
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Engine Stalling

Tadpole

Default 406 Engine Stalling

Hi Guys,

I'm facing this problem, its getting more frequent recently.

Advertisement

I'm driving a 406 2.0L Auto and sometimes when I'm moving off from stop,
    the engine stalls. The problem is that its not consistent, sometimes when
    the engine's hot or cold, after a few seconds or an hour of driving. It
    doesn't happen everyday, but when it happens, its always when just moving
    off from a stop.

Sent it to the mechanic, he checked the stepper motor and said that it was
    in working order, so he cleaned the throttle body, but the problem is
    still there.

Anybody experienced this before? Thanks for any advice.

Regards,
    normanb
    Last edited by norman; 12th April 2004 at 07:55 PM.

1000+ Posts

Hi Norman,

When I saw the topic, and before I opened it up I was coming in to the post to say I thought i'd be the idle stepper motor. When you say it "check out ok" does that mean your mechanic cleaned it out, or just looked at it? I'd be cleaning it out myself, to make sure that's not the problem.

Alternatively, a faulty coil pack... maybe? Does it miss at anything other than just off idle?

Derek.

Tadpole

Hi Derek,

Thanks for your prompt reply. Well, he basically checked that it had a smooth freeplay and wasn't sticky. I'd try clean it myself but I doubt that I'll do a better job than the mech.

Nope it happens only when just moving off, so far never while cruising (knock on wood!). And even then its fine most of the time just that the stalling is getting a bit too frequent.

I'll ask the mech to pay more attention to the stepper motor and have a look at the coil pack. Do you think it might have anything to do with the fuel relay? Thanks again.

Norman

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

there are a couple of hoses that come of that unit as well which are worth checking

also where they go onto the unit is worth checking as well for cracks
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

1000+ Posts

Another thing I'm going to suggest is the PCV system. My 306 (with similar, although not the same) engine suffered a stutter on acceleration caused by block PCV pipes. A gunked up PCV valve itself could also cause the same stutter, as would a cracked pipe in the PCV system.

Whilst I don't really know if those are your symptoms, if you've sending the car off to be checked out, could be worth looking at. I can't really see that such a problem would cause stalling though... which is why I'm not 100% sure.

Whilst this may be a pointless question, does it seem like a fuel starvation issue (it peters out) or is it an electrical type issue (instant cut/loss of all engine power).

Derek.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    there are a couple of hoses that come of that unit as well which are worth checking

also where they go onto the unit is worth checking as well for cracks
    Hi Pugrambo,

Thanks. Will mention this to the mech when I bring the car in this week.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by DeKa
    Another thing I'm going to suggest is the PCV system. My 306 (with similar, although not the same) engine suffered a stutter on acceleration caused by block PCV pipes. A gunked up PCV valve itself could also cause the same stutter, as would a cracked pipe in the PCV system.

Whilst I don't really know if those are your symptoms, if you've sending the car off to be checked out, could be worth looking at. I can't really see that such a problem would cause stalling though... which is why I'm not 100% sure.

Whilst this may be a pointless question, does it seem like a fuel starvation issue (it peters out) or is it an electrical type issue (instant cut/loss of all engine power).

Derek.
    Hi Derek,

It doesn't stutter when it's about to stall, its more of an "instant cut" of the engine. I've noticed that it happens irregularly when:

1) just moving off from a stop (from start or after driving for some time in the morning, afternoon or night)
    2) slowing down to a stop (less often)

I'll bring up your points as well as Pugrambo's to the mech and will keep you guys posted on the outcome. Thanks.

Norman

Deka

I get a stutter in my s16 as well while changing up to second, how do you clear a blocked PCV hose?
    2007 VW Jetta 2.0 TDi 6sp manual

2001 VW Bora 4-Motion - flooded away
    1998 Peugeot 406 SV manual - Gone to Hail Heaven
    1994 Silver S16 - Gone
    1983 505 Sti - Gone to good home

Thread Information