Dropped a bolt inside the injector hole, 407 2.2 ST
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Dropped a bolt inside the injector hole, 407 2.2 ST

Default Dropped a bolt inside the injector hole, 407 2.2 ST

As stated, was going to clean my injectors after the eternal Depollution system faulty message + a p0203 injector voltage not ok.
    When 1 of the bolts+ a washer dropped inside the injector hole!
    i got a magnet rod from SCA was abit big , had to unscrew the alloy face from top only. still nothing achievable with the magnet... i can see 2 valves, in high posotion, so no way this went to the piston face right?
    got an inspection camera... from jaycar, the expensive crap had a cheap plastic lens!!! that melted after getting in contact with petrochemicals, but i saw easily that both valve chambers had no bolt!!!i'm going crazy and my car is idle ,packed up with my lugagge for 2 days now, as it broke when i started relocating.

Sent from my Redmi 3 using aussiefrogs mobile app

Advertisement

Take the intake manifold off to be sure. Not a difficult task. It is possible that the bolt bounced and went the other way from the injector hole and has ended up somewhere in the manifold.
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

I had a loose object present itself from the manifold when I removed it. Nill damage. Wasnt my dropsy.
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

but at the valves, wouldnt this bolt get stuck when the valve tries to open?

The metal object in my manifold did not cause any problems. I only found it when I was doing other work. I have no idea where it was resting
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Well, maybe a spark plug out first to confirm cylinder is clear (washer could go past valve, I imagine) and then I am afraid it's manifold off if cylinder doesn't answer all questions.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

1000+ Posts

Nasty.
    Once when I had a Rover 2000 I was doing the tappets.
    I completely forgot the step where you retract the cam chain tensioner and when I released the cam sprocket the tensioner went tinkle down below.
    I called the local Rover expert who said it would probably just fall into the sump.
    Then I put it all back together and when I started it there was a clunk and a whirr and it had busted the timing chain lower, clipped some valves so the head had to come back off after only a week since it went together after a major rebuild. Not my finest hour.
    proudfrog likes this.

Need to get a proper look down spark plug hole before embarking on a disassembly project.
    Mobile mechanics have the gear
    proudfrog likes this.

hi all, looked at spark hole yesterday... and had to start the car, the bolt is aluminium steel alloy.. anyway car shrugs, and overheats!!!! (valves gasket is torn apart, i put back without gasket but bought blank one approximate tot the old swalloen one) gives p1161 p1160 that are relted to a dead maf i removed the maf, cleared faults ..
    car starts and idles better (i cleaned maf with carb cleaner while i lost the bolt) but anyway, i smell bad heating smell, car keeps cutting if passed 1500rpm

will take a look at the valves/cylinder now lets see.. meanwhile please any tipa on gasket thickness (or no gasket ar all like now)? is it the cause of the massive overheat maybe? i cany get a mechanic because i literally cant afford any fix he offers..

[IMG][/IMG]Dropped a bolt inside the injector hole, 407 2.2 ST-1473235969925.jpg[IMG]Dropped a bolt inside the injector hole, 407 2.2 ST-1473235987504.jpgDropped a bolt inside the injector hole, 407 2.2 ST-1473236002025.jpg[/IMG]

i think not much to be said... melted cylinder. head (or bolt itself melted being stuck at cylinder edge with extreme friction) so what needs to be done? i will start doing... at least remachine cylinder head? and change piston ring? can this be done without playing with timing chain? car is parked in woolies Greyatanes nsw sydney. i have to start working more in the city.. appreciate any help or input... i'm broke. so have to do this on my own. or find a fellow DIY.

What is th cheapeat option to refix this? and how much will a used engine cost me? in despair here.. so sorry for the much output...

COL

There is a couple on Ebay for $1650.

peugeot 407 engine 2.2 petrol | eBay
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

the cylinder didnt sieze, any idea what i need to do?
    *remachine th cylinder head to remove the excess
    *change the O-ring of the piston..
    *gasket for sure and also overhauling other cylinders maybe.

Is there is a way to do this without messing with the timing?
    taking Cam and engine top then remmove valve cover? or start the opposite way from the oil sump upward? i cant afford 1500 engine +labour. not even half of that.

Sorry to hear about this saga. Look a possible solution might be to have the damned thing towed somewhere safe and go and contact the chap in the 'cars for sale section' giving his C5 away (registered I believe)- it has issues but may subsist long enough to get you where you need to go....or get a five hundred dollar special from somewhere- Gumtree perhaps. sounds like you need a wagon.
    HTH

Fellow Frogger!

Wow.

Quickest fix will be to replace the engine.

DIY will be remove head if not remove entire engine in which case you may as well refurbish the whole engine.

Either way it'll need to be towed.

Quote Originally Posted by proudfrog View Post
    hi all, looked at spark hole yesterday... and had to start the car

[...]
    I am not sure I understand why you HAD to start the car knowing what happened. I would start a car under these conditions only at gun point.

All your questions have a simple answer. The engine is finished as you should have expected (and the reason I made the statement above).

Theoretical options are to fix this engine, get a s/h engine or get another car. From expensive to (possibly) cheap.

Judging by your call about starting the engine, and some of the other questions you ask, I would hazard a guess you don't have the skills to repair your wrecked engine and it sounds like you don't have the money either (don't imagine that a head skim and valve work is going to be cheaper than a s/h engine). And that doesn't even take into account pistons, liners, rings (I guess that is what you called "piston o rings"), crank and so on. By the time you add it all up, you might be even 10 grand out of pocket and have an engine in pieces that need to be put together and then put back in the car by someone! Not you, hopefully.

Pretty much the same applies for a s/h engine minus the 10 grand. But I understand you don't have the 1500$ either.

Which brings us to the last on the list, cheap s/h car. The upshot is that you could sell your wreck (or bits off it) and get some money to put towards fixing minor (hopefully - take someone with you when test driving) issues with the "new" car or (who knows?) you might even end up with some spare cash (if your car has desirable parts that can be flogged off quick and easy for lots of money).

Good luck. Now you know how to destroy your enemies' cars.

PS. If you look in the Renault section, you will find someone is trying to give away two cars in Sydney, one of which still has rego. It has some issues as well, but this is where the second car comes in handy! Just try not to wreck it.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 10th September 2016 at 10:31 PM.
    proudfrog and driven like this.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Fellow Frogger!

There's a 407 sans engine at Pick N Payless Blacktown... They may have lifted the engine for sale separately so give them a call... They are quite reasonable.
    proudfrog likes this.

Hi again guys, first i'd love to update, the car might have throttlebody issues the computer keeps instantly throwing p1161 and 1159 But zero injection issues or engine issues.. i cleaned maf, took body out and damn this thing has lots of sensors! maf/temp. really appreciate your replies. extremely helpful Svengali, dj4allen, shiltzaugen (had to because i was travelling daily 30 kms, cant see or be sure the bolt is INSIDE the engine for real (48 hrs my head melted in the son using magnets/inspection camera while my car had all my luggage and tools!) i really appreciate your solutions and thier detail

Ok so car starts, with a rough idle, heats pretty quickly, i made a gasket for the injection flange. car starts shattering when above 1400 rpm so i manually shift to on low rpms (and it moves) once at 90 degrees its not really overheating.... the computer only after reseting always throws exclamatiom nark and that uts not able to determine air/fuel rail st all, and that throttle body is uncontrollable etc (i feel its saying the bolt went the other side (it never came to my mind, but its viable!!! explains camera/failure to find anything... we will see anyway, cause i'm taking air intake out entirely.

1000+ Posts

I'm not sure I understand what you've been saying, but if you had no inlet gasket maybe the engine was running a lean mixture which could cause overheating.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

stuey, i did cut a manual gasket its horrible but at least it seals/not blocking holes. update: throttle body works, so i think its the position sensor... i cant get it, how would the bolt (thinking it damaged the intake valves) might cause a throttle body problem!! those things are too far from each other!😞 p1160, p1161 i think ill drive it to a some mechanic near strathfield for a checkup. and see options right after

ok, confirmed, the throttlebody potentiometer, once the ignition key is on, butterfly is 25% once car is started, potentiometer fails to read and butterfly remains at 10‰ (same as the reading without ignitin on) so looking for a throttle body or at least the potentiometer (body works perfectly when tested in diagbox)

Demannu, you are too smart! the bounce othet way option didn't come to my mind until yesterday, seeing you posted this days ago anyway, i have to change the potentiometer first and lets see

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information