205 SI speedo cable
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 205 SI speedo cable

Today I replaced the knackered old speedo cable in my 205, but the new one doesn't appear to be engaging on the gearbox end, so I'm getting no reading. On the old cable the square shaft protrudes a good 20mm from the metal connector, the new one probably half as much, so it doesn't appear to be reaching deeply enough into the hole.

Am I missing something here? Has anyone had similar issue?

Advertisement

You may have pulled it too far out the other end. They can be a pain.

Try and cet some pliers onto the square drive carefully and see if you can gently pull it out a little. Taking care not to pull it out of the speedo. Pull it that tiny bit and have someone check the sleedo needle while you spin it in your fingers once youve made the adjustment. It will make a little jump.

Did you put it in with the little rubber keeper?
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

Tadpole

That was my thought too, so I tried a gentle pull with the pliers, but it wouldn't budge. Looking at the speedo end it appears that the plastic attachment is fixed, so the cable can't be moved up and down in the outer. Yep, rubber pin is in. Once the car starts rolling the needle will flick and then return to the stop. Unfortunately I don't have another person around to watch the needle while I spin the cable.
    Last edited by Kendal; 31st August 2016 at 04:40 PM.

I think you should lay both the old and new cable on the floor and compare lengths of inner and outer cables (?).
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

are you sure its pushed all the way onto the drive on the cluster end? they can be quiet tough to push on and if they don't go home can make it short gearbox end

Tadpole

Pretty sure it's attached properly at the back of the cluster, the prongs of the plastic connector made a satisfying click as they located in the detent on the metal speedo housing. I'll have a look tomorrow though and make sure I haven't overlooked something obvious there.

Should the cable be able to move back and forth in the outer (linearly as opposed to rotational)? I can't get it to come more than about 10mm out the gearbox end and a light pressure will push it back in until it's flush with the connector. It seems to me like the inner is too short, or the outer too long, but it's a genuine part so surely not?

I know its a pain if its in the car already but did you do as BIGRR suggested? at least then you can compare the two to see and feel the difference.

I pulled my inner out from the gear box end by grabbing the square.
    I regreased the inner and replaced it all from the gearbox end (No disconnecting from the speedo), however I had trouble with the inner hanging out of the outer too much and the inner did not then engage in the speedo end. SO with a bit of measuring and trial and error testing I dropped a calculated length of lose fitting round wire into the gear box drive shaft.
    The plastic outer cable breaks down and lets water in/lubricant out. I then wrapped the old outer cable with insulation tape.
    Speedo works great now.

Ex Railway Fitter.
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s