free out of warranty repair for 1.6thp timing chain?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By robmac

Thread: free out of warranty repair for 1.6thp timing chain?

Tadpole

Default free out of warranty repair for 1.6thp timing chain?

Hey, took in the pug today to my new mechanic, for a possible solenoid job on the Al4 box.

he talked to me about the timing chain issue on the 1.6thp and if he found out my car suffered from it that he would refer me to Peugeot Brisbane to get it fixed for free.

he said he's sent a few customers to them in the last few months for the same issue and it was fixed under warranty or something similar, even though its out of warranty.

Advertisement

its only got 50k on it, he said it was unacceptable for it to happen on a car with such low km's.

so fingers crossed he finds a knock, and gives me a diagnostic print out to shove it in Peugeots face.

Hi! I took my 08 207 GTi in for a software update almost a year ago, to date. car had 60k km's on it and had never been brought there for a service.
    I go to pick up the car and the nice lady at the desk tells me they need to have the car back for warranty work??
    Quite surprised and under prepared for a response, I ask for what? she says that when they imputed the cars details into the system, it came back as saying a critical timing chain recall had not been done??? my car is 7 years old and well out of warranty!

except the timing chain/rails had been replaced.... about a month earlier at my cost.... but I was still having issues as the software was not up to date with the revised hardware, hence, the trip to the dealer.

I did not mention any of the above to the lady, why? I have no idea.... stupidity maybe.... luck.... maybe? I guess I just wanted to see where everything would lead.

They took the car about a week later and did the 'work' said the chain was fine (as it should have been) but the rails were replaced again? they gave me a complimentary loan car and all seems ok to date (except for fuel pump p0087 code last week? but that's another story)

so, my point is, you may very well get the fix for free.... I did (almost)

Yesterday I took my 308 (1 year out of warranty) to the dealer to have some sort of modification done to the outlet tank after having been notified at a previous checkup
    They installed an additional temperature sensor that sends info to the cluster while the other one sends the info to the cooling fans. This supposedly cures the famous "engine high temp, STOP" problem.

free out of warranty repair for 1.6thp timing chain?-untitled.jpg

I also had them update the BSI.
    Chadi

1982 504 SR white manual sedan with A/C (257 000 Km)
    2012 308 1.6 VTi Vapor Grey manual H/B (35000 Km)
    1994 405 1.6 white manual sedan (208 000 Km)
    1992 605 SV24 (91 000 Km)
    2005 406 2.0L automatic (Replaced with a 2013 C5)
    1983 505 GR white manual sedan with A/C (170000 Km)

All since new

I should get my RCZ checked. As last time that happened the dealership just bypassed it because "that was the official fix"
    2012 - RCZ.
    1994 - 405 Mi16.
    1974 - Dnper 650 sidecar.
    1997 - Honda CBR1100XX Superblack bird.

1000+ Posts

Default 1.6 Petrol

Quote Originally Posted by Valentia View Post
    I should get my RCZ checked. As last time that happened the dealership just bypassed it because "that was the official fix"
    From what I have heard the 1.6 petrol was the result of B.M.W. not having a small engine for Mini's

So a combo happened---Peugeot block...B.M. head [they have a wonderfool -{spelling correct} history}

Bicycle type timing chain.....so problems....Quiet frankly i do not comprehend the logic -apparently fixes have been implemented.

Multi million k testing.......how did that get through??

Quote Originally Posted by PerlaNera View Post
    Hey, took in the pug today to my new mechanic, for a possible solenoid job on the Al4 box.

he talked to me about the timing chain issue on the 1.6thp and if he found out my car suffered from it that he would refer me to Peugeot Brisbane to get it fixed for free.

he said he's sent a few customers to them in the last few months for the same issue and it was fixed under warranty or something similar, even though its out of warranty.

its only got 50k on it, he said it was unacceptable for it to happen on a car with such low km's.

so fingers crossed he finds a knock, and gives me a diagnostic print out to shove it in Peugeots face.
    It's pleasant to hear some good news story about Peugeot as they're quite rare. I have heard a number of horror stories about the Peugeot - BMW developed engine timing chains.

Thanks for posting.

Fellow Frogger!

Not to mention the VW 1.2 TSI series engines which had chain stretching problems also.
    How can this simple(?) technology be giving problems in the 21st century?.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagaman View Post
    Not to mention the VW 1.2 TSI series engines which had chain stretching problems also.
    How can this simple(?) technology be giving problems in the 21st century?.
    The problem is not chain stretch as far as I'm aware, and it only one engine that is affected the 1.4 L TFSI , type CAVE. This engine was superseded by the CTHE 1.4 TFSI in late 2012. And the problem only affects manual cars not the DSGs.

Here is a text "grab" from one the UK forums

"...the timing chain can slip a tooth due to an issue with the tensioner when the car is not running but left in gear and rolls backwards, which obviously puts the whole thing out of sync and itís only a matter of time before the engine chews itself up...."

Volkswagen acknowledged the issue and fitted a modified tensioner system to all vehicles either in or out of warranty , if returned to a dealer.

After following two VW forums regularly for about 2 years, one Australian and one in UK, there doesn't seem to members reporting timing chain issues.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

Fellow Frogger!

Those on the Briskoda Forum (Yeti) have had, with the original 2009 1.2 TSI version
    Failure of cam chain
    Ignition harness overheating (nr3) and
    DSG (7spd 'dry') Mechatronic failure
    And along with all models
    Paint blisters (zinc inclusion) and rust.
    The owners are not a happy lot and VAG have a reputation for reliability nobody wants.
    They weren't subject to an official recall but a service campaign instead, which seems to be about reducing bad pr as a priority.
    They can't point at French cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagaman View Post
    Those on the Briskoda Forum (Yeti) have had, with the original 2009 1.2 TSI version
    Failure of cam chain
    Ignition harness overheating (nr3) and
    DSG (7spd 'dry') Mechatronic failure
    And along with all models
    Paint blisters (zinc inclusion) and rust.
    The owners are not a happy lot and VAG have a reputation for reliability nobody wants.
    They weren't subject to an official recall but a service campaign instead, which seems to be about reducing bad pr as a priority.
    They can't point at French cars.
    2009 models that is ancient history in the car world. I suspect VW have done something about the issue because there has been nary a mention in the two years I've been there. The mechatronic issues are very quiet at the moment.

The paint problem was a Skoda wide issue. And found to be caused by diesel crap from the trains used to transport them overland etching the paint. Skoda now apply a different protective wax to the vehicles. This was change was implemented late 2009.

And of course you always see the worst of any car on enthusiast forums. Because most of time members post to solve or gain info on a problem.

Just search of AL 4 or DPO trans or timing chain issue on the BMW Prince engine on AF.

From my experience most of the Briskoda members are a polite bunch who are there to sort their own problems. And find no need to bag or criticize other marques who may or may not had problems seven years ago.

It all about balance and truthful reporting of the current facts.

All car have some kind of weaknesses and most manufacturers attempt to solve them in later models.
    Last edited by robmac; 3rd September 2016 at 06:44 PM.
    hypermiler likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Well I go a long way back to the VR6 golf era and tend to think the Japanese standards of reliability are normal, but that is certainly not the case with VAG products.
    I guess the true difference is that I don't think of 7 years as being long ago at all.
    If VAG are bulletproof now then it's only taken them 30 years.

If VAG are bulletproof now then it's only taken them 30 years.
    No car is bullet proof, even cars from 30 years ago.

And if you remove your bias you soon become aware that all marques from Benz all the way down to Great Wall - have weak points.

And that it's a manufacturing trend to build a car with a finite life. And it's as much about recycling the car at end of life as building it efficiently in the first place.

And you no longer buy a "French car". Simply a car from manufacturer in the past who built a car using mostly French sourced components and assembled them in France.

Nearly all manufacturers today are Global manufacturers, who source parts from the cheapest source and assemble cars in locations which are both convenient and have cheap labor available.

Edit:
    But you may be right, Japanese cars may be most reliable. But sometimes the heart rules the head when a refrigerator or dish washer is the best option in terms of reliability.

And at those times, some us are prepared to accept the more exciting and (possibly) less reliable
    vehicle.
    Last edited by robmac; 3rd September 2016 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post

And at those times, some us are prepared to accept the more exciting and (possibly) less reliable
    vehicle.
    More deprecated doesnt hurt the used car buyer either

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    More deprecated doesnt hurt the used car buyer either
    These days Jo, I'm more into new cars with long warranties,roadside assist and capped servicing. IE

Make any faults somebody else's problem for as long as possible. And if my finances are sound at the 5 -7 years stage, trade and buy a new car.

EDIT:
    Hopefully, it will give a chance to sample few different car brands in process.

Provided the cheese stays on my cracker for a while, that is.

Fellow Frogger!

It's the very fact that VW won't consider a warranty extension when they most need some good publicity that says something about their confidence in their own product.
    From the first '73 civic I bought new, till only a few years ago, I never took one (of all the main Japanese brands) for any sort of official servicing, such was their boring reliability.
    And private resale was never an issue either.
    Sadly Civics are utterly boring now and even when they introduce a brand new version it's still barely competitive.
    Truly sad!

It's the very fact that VW won't consider a warranty extension when they most need some good publicity that says something about their confidence in their own product.
    I'm afraid you really aren't up to date with what VW Group are currently offering customers .

VW mass recall won't spread to Australia

But the local arm of the German giant acknowledges problems with its Direct Shift Gearbox (DSG) and has lengthened the warranty covering all transmissions from three years and 100,000 kilometres to five years and 150,000 kilometres in response to customer concerns

And if you buy a new car, for around $1-2K (depending on model. more for the likely thrashed models) you can extend the Warranty and Roadside Assist for a further two years. This is no BS aftermarket company offering the warranty, the is an extension of VW OEM warranty. There is one catch - you must sign up to the extension before the car is registered . And thus is not available afterwards on a used car.

Factory extended warranty < Three Year Warranty < Volkswagen Technology & Service | VW Australia

And skoda too:
    Warranty - ?KODA

As well as Audi
    Extended warranty > Audi Australia

But I suspect Audi prices would super expensive, to cater for the twonks that buy their cars new.

Does that satisfy you at all or do you think extended warranty should be free?

Edit: And for the record Skoda warranty is 3y factory +2 y extended with unlimited Kilometers.
    Last edited by robmac; 3rd September 2016 at 09:06 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    No car is bullet proof, even cars from 30 years ago.
    this is just as an aside with no relevance to the vaguely recent past, but i reckon 1960s VWs were probably just about bullet proof.

Quote Originally Posted by alexander View Post
    this is just as an aside with no relevance to the vaguely recent past, but i reckon 1960s VWs were probably just about bullet proof.
    Hilter thought so too. But was eventually defeated.

My flatmates VW Beetle self immolated at the traffic lights, due to rear seat springs overheating when coming in contact with the battery.

He always regretted not having his soon to be wife's mother in the back seat at the time.

Fellow Frogger!

Since this started about the 1.6thp engine and ended with Hitler (as always)
    Would I be silly to buy a 2012 508 touring with the 1.6thp engine? One the used car market it seems to be massively good value if you need a comfortable family cruiser.

Tadpole

So is it reasonable to expect timing chain to be replaced for free if car is 3 m out of warranty with 60k on clock? If replacement period is 120000 and it fails at 60.000 I believe it should be free replacement with apology from Peugeot.

I don’t believe there is a “replacement period” for the chain.

Whether a dealer replaces it or not for free is a grey area involving Peugeot, the dealer and probably the car’s service history.

Based on known issues, I’d say it was reasonable, but sadly, we’re not the ones that are making that decision
    Regards,

Simon

2014 208 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Fellow Frogger

It's probably a reasonable expectation with a good service history. Talk to a dealer and ask them to take it up with Peugeot and the factory. In some cases, there might be extended coverage for some specific known faults. The less desirable fallback position is to be aware of your consumer guarantees under the ACL. However, what is 'reasonable' under the ACL could be a little subjective as it depends on different views of product durability.

You could be confusing the timing belt change interval here.

Thread Information