The early 404: 1960-1965
  • Register
  • Help

Default The early 404: 1960-1965

Hi folks, I've been wanting to find out for a while from you guys in Aussie. How common is the early 404, particularly the 1960-1961 version on Australian roads? They are pretty much non existent down here in South Africa. Most of the ones we have are from the 70s and once in a while you come across the 1968 models(the first bunch to get the BA7 gearbox). I was pleasantly surprised when a 1961 404 was sold here a few months ago, if I had money then I would have grabbed it, they are very rare. I have never seen one with my naked eye. I still have a goal of getting one someday and the best way to go around it is to inquire from right-hand drive countries like Australia, New Zealand, UK. I just hope there's quite a few examples available in those countries. Here are some pics from the one that was sold in South Africa recently. It was a one owner car, the lady bought it new in 1961 when she was 40 and she had just passed away at 95 hence the sale

Advertisement

for some reason my pics failed to upload

VIP Sponsor

60 61 are non existent, although I did see one in a wreckers many years ago with the square air vents on the dash. I should have grabbed the dash!

I knew of one which would have been 1961/2, round air vents but not full length door trims and cream dash, all our cars had black dash. It was used to set up and run the first round of the Victorian Trials series in 1981 then after another year of club motorsport was pulled apart. It did a massively better job than the Falcon wagon that we started with on that project. The Falcon stripped first gear, pulled the rear shockers out of the floor and it was impossible to keep the front wheels pointing in the right direction (alignment changed every time you hit a bump). This was a 1967 XR, I hate to think what the XK would have been like.

Earliest 404s imported here were late 62, would be classified as 63 models.

These are not common these days, in fact anything without a BA7 box is not common. I think people threw out the C3 cars due to problems with wear in the linkages. A pity as the bodies were better designed around the boot area in regard to rust and Continental and General did a better job of assembly than Renault.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmund View Post
    Hi folks, I've been wanting to find out for a while from you guys in Aussie. How common is the early 404, particularly the 1960-1961 version on Australian roads? They are pretty much non existent down here in South Africa. Most of the ones we have are from the 70s and once in a while you come across the 1968 models(the first bunch to get the BA7 gearbox). I was pleasantly surprised when a 1961 404 was sold here a few months ago, if I had money then I would have grabbed it, they are very rare. I have never seen one with my naked eye. I still have a goal of getting one someday and the best way to go around it is to inquire from right-hand drive countries like Australia, New Zealand, UK. I just hope there's quite a few examples available in those countries. Here are some pics from the one that was sold in South Africa recently. It was a one owner car, the lady bought it new in 1961 when she was 40 and she had just passed away at 95 hence the sale
    Last edited by GRAHAM WALLIS; 29th August 2016 at 11:55 AM.

I briefly owned a 1961 model, the 16408th ever made (4016408), here in Canada. It had the square dash vents, oddball climate controls, early suspension with Africa-style springs and old style steering wheel. Scrapped it in 1989. Still have the VIN plate. Vehicle Details for 4016408 | Peugeot 404 Serial Number Inventory
    1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection post-restoration reassembly underway!
    Register your 404: https://recensement.leclub404.com/submit.php

What a pity folks, it would have been great to source one from a right hand drive country like yours, it just makes sense cost wise. There's a lot of them in Holland for sale in astonishingly good condition

Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

I saw a light green sedan with sunroof and square vents in the back of a shed at the back of Windsor NSW in 1992. I didn't grab it, because I took the fully imported '66 injection with sunroof that was easier to get at (and which I still haven't finished restoring!)

Good choice, Bruce!
    1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection post-restoration reassembly underway!
    Register your 404: https://recensement.leclub404.com/submit.php

Thread Information