Slack in 504 steering found!
  • Register
  • Help

Icon14 Slack in 504 steering found!

My 1974 504 Australian content tombstone seats and many, many Km`s on rough roads.

I had about 20mm slack at the steering wheel rim, but I could not find any play in any of the usual suspects, tie rod ends,bottom ball joints,flexor coupling or the rack and pinion,

After many weeks of peering and probing I found the play in the lower steering collumn, the one that passes through the firewall, the shaft in my car is a two peice afair with a small sheer pin through both parts,even when it is out it looks solid, but when it is firmly twisted it moves.

Had the sheer pin failed I dont think it would have resulted in steering failure as the two peices of shaft are not round in cross section at the overlap. the pin prevents the shaft from shortening untill required in an impact.

It took many weeks because at first I did not suspect that what I thought was a solid shaft could be a problem and anyway my arms will not reach from the steering wheel at one end to the flexor at the other.

A replacement lower shaft has been fitted and it too is a two part afair.

None of the reference works that I have read show a two part lower shaft.

The offending part is shown as one peice in the attachment from http://www.504.org
    more specifically http://504.org/technic_GB.htm as part 4103.19 BARRE inferieure

For those who are interested the www.504.org is well worth a visit, has an extensive parts list in french a factory workshop manual in english and lots more.

I can only conclude this was one way of satisfying a seventies Australian requirement for a collapsable steering collumn,
    has anyone else had this problem? any thoughts out there?

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger
    My 1974 504 Australian content tombstone seats and many, many Km`s on rough roads.

I had about 20mm slack at the steering wheel rim, but I could not find any play in any of the usual suspects, tie rod ends,bottom ball joints,flexor coupling or the rack and pinion,

After many weeks of peering and probing I found the play in the lower steering collumn, the one that passes through the firewall, the shaft in my car is a two peice afair with a small sheer pin through both parts,even when it is out it looks solid, but when it is firmly twisted it moves.

Had the sheer pin failed I dont think it would have resulted in steering failure as the two peices of shaft are not round in cross section at the overlap. the pin prevents the shaft from shortening untill required in an impact.

It took many weeks because at first I did not suspect that what I thought was a solid shaft could be a problem and anyway my arms will not reach from the steering wheel at one end to the flexor at the other.

A replacement lower shaft has been fitted and it too is a two part afair.

None of the reference works that I have read show a two part lower shaft.

The offending part is shown as one peice in the attachment from http://www.504.org
    more specifically http://504.org/technic_GB.htm as part 4103.19 BARRE inferieure

For those who are interested the www.504.org is well worth a visit, has an extensive parts list in french a factory workshop manual in english and lots more.

I can only conclude this was one way of satisfying a seventies Australian requirement for a collapsable steering collumn,
    has anyone else had this problem? any thoughts out there?

So the steering column is broken? I see the part you mean? The steering column?

I have seen pictures some where of the column having a collapsable part?

Older ones are solid i think? The last one I looked at was.

Those steering flectors also have to be looked at carefully. Mine broke at one stage and that gave me vauge steering as u can imagine.

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

Thread Information