505 heater-valve giving grief...
  • Register
  • Help

Default 505 heater-valve giving grief...

I'm trying to replace my heater valve and having issues with the capilliary tube thing that comes out of it. I thought that the tubing simply sat in front of the heater core and by pulling the core out slightly, it would give me enough room to slide out the tubing and remove the valve. However, when I pulled the core out a bit, the tubing is held in place by at least one wire link that I can see, that is attached to the actual core.

Is there a way of getting the tubing out without having to remove the entire heater core? I can't see how the core can come out anyway - the steering column bracket seems to be in the way, and it looks like it's welded to the car body!! Someone has to know a trick to doing this easily, what is it?

Cheers,
    Richard

Advertisement
    - Richard

Now: 405 SRI D70 '93
    - 2.0L manual
    Earlier: 505 GTi Executive '85
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

Argghhhh!! Well, I've half pulled apart the dash and I'm still no closer to replacing this friggen valve. Since I couldn't get the core out, I've been trying to remove the whole heater unit, and I've taken out the 4 nuts that hold it to the bulkhead, and the 2 bolts that go into the dash crossmember. But the thing won't budge and I can't find anything else that's holding it in place. I just need to move it out slightly so I can get enough clearance to get the core out. Arggghhhh!

I'm tempted to just cut the tube on the old valve and leave it in there, and then slide the new tubing in front of it. I think I'll just do that, I can't be stuffed anymore...

Richard
    - Richard

- 2.0L manual
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

What's happened to all the cluey 505-driving froggers around here? Can nobody give me some tips???

I need to get the valve in the car by Monday or else I'll be driving the car next week to work with everything apart.

Richard
    - Richard

- 2.0L manual
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

Quote Originally Posted by silverexec
    What's happened to all the cluey 505-driving froggers around here? Can nobody give me some tips???

I need to get the valve in the car by Monday or else I'll be driving the car next week to work with everything apart.

Richard
    I wish i could help.

All the pipes in 505's is why i stay with the 504.

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

Ha ha ha! Maybe I should call a plumber...

I managed to get the new capilliary tube into the heater box by squeezing it in front of the old one, after I'd cut off the end of the old tubing leading to the old valve. Yes, it's dodgy, but I absolutely could not get the core out to remove the old stuff.

Anyway, it's all back together with fresh coolant and a new thermostat, and the car seems to run cooler and the heater works properly at last! No more roasting in summer.

Richard
    - Richard

- 2.0L manual
    - hence "Silver Exec"...
    25 GTX '86
    - manual conversion

Thread Information