205mi16 pipe dreams
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Results 1 to 25 of 30
  1. #1
    Fellow Frogger! amcc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Marraweeney Victoria
    Posts
    311

    Default 205mi16 pipe dreams

    I have been considering a mi16 conversion for some time but lately I have been discouraged by a few other forum members. Why, if I can get a mi16 motor and new front end parts would I not go ahead with the conversion? I have read the conversion story of Neil from Brisbane and I think that this would make an awesome car. Am I right or am I right?

    Advertisement


    However if this is not within my means I think I will get a front-cut and replace the hole front end as well as motor, with either a series 2 or 3 front-cut.

  2. #2
    1000+ Posts cam85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Bondi
    Posts
    3,370

    Default

    Hi there

    OK Firstly have you been for a ride in or driven a MI16. If you have then you will understand the they are a quick car. Even though putting a MI16 in a 205 you will only get about about a 25 to 30 hp jump you can imaging how quick it will be. Secondly have you sat down and written out how much you think it will cost to do the oeration. Also cutting up a 205 is proberbly not the way to go because you will never get the car to be like it was before...perfect. Also you can tune the MI16 motor alot more than an 8v. Alot of people go on about how you wont have the torque of the 8v blah blah blah, think about it. The MI16 motor will have just as much torque because it was designed for a bigger car, therefore heavier and will have just as much if not more torque than an 8 v. It just may not feel like it cause of the higher revs you get with the MI16. The only things you will run into as every website about the conversion will tell you is the inletmanifold and the exhaust and the brake servo. Ppl will also say dont cut the inletmanifold and put a sandwich plate in the exhaust because you will loose toruqe ECT. They should speak to Owen W whos MI205 goes like a cut snake faster than 2003 model M3 and only about 1 sec slower than a GT3 Porsche.(Oran Park 28th March) There are ways around it but the cost a little more. And dosent look the best. I would say go for it. A stnd 205 MI16 with the right Gearbox is as quick as a porsche boxter. Not the s but not for off it.
    This is my opinion and if i have faulted at all please feel free to correct me.

    Cam
    Last edited by cam85; 9th April 2004 at 10:13 PM.
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

  3. #3
    1000+ Posts N5GTi6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,101

    Default

    Is the 205MI16 in Perth still for sale? That would be a great pickup, and would save the hassles of doing the conversion yourself. Plus it has (had?) lots of other yummy gear on it as well.
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '10 308 Sportium Touring
    '12 Megane RS265 8:08

  4. #4
    1000+ Posts Luca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    Warwick has had both and reckons the 8v was a better daily driver and when worked had enough speed to scare GTI6s.

  5. #5
    Fellow Frogger! amcc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Marraweeney Victoria
    Posts
    311

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cam85
    Hi there

    OK Firstly have you been for a ride in or driven a MI16. If you have then you will understand the they are a quick car. Even though putting a MI16 in a 205 you will only get about about a 25 to 30 hp jump you can imaging how quick it will be. Secondly have you sat down and written out how much you think it will cost to do the oeration. Also cutting up a 205 is proberbly not the way to go because you will never get the car to be like it was before...perfect. Also you can tune the MI16 motor alot more than an 8v. Alot of people go on about how you wont have the torque of the 8v blah blah blah, think about it. The MI16 motor will have just as much torque because it was designed for a bigger car, therefore heavier and will have just as much if not more torque than an 8 v. It just may not feel like it cause of the higher revs you get with the MI16. The only things you will run into as every website about the conversion will tell you is the inletmanifold and the exhaust and the brake servo. Ppl will also say dont cut the inletmanifold and put a sandwich plate in the exhaust because you will loose toruqe ECT. They should speak to Owen W whos MI205 goes like a cut snake faster than 2003 model M3 and only about 1 sec slower than a GT3 Porsche.(Oran Park 28th March) There are ways around it but the cost a little more. And dosent look the best. I would say go for it. A stnd 205 MI16 with the right Gearbox is as quick as a porsche boxter. Not the s but not for off it.
    This is my opinion and if i have faulted at all please feel free to correct me.

    Cam



    I am yet to have a ride in an mi16 but I have heard lots about them and will definitely line one up before I start buying parts. Have not started to source parts yet so I am not sure how much it will cost, I am about to get back in contact with somebody in Sydney whom I spoke to a couple of years ago when I was thinking of building a 205gti off a rolling shell using imported parts. However if the conversion story by Neil from Brisbane is anything to go by if I do the work myself it should be possible to do it for $3,500-$4,000 or that is what I am hoping. I was going to this to my car because it has done over 300k km and lots of the front end needs reconditioning or replacing anyway. This however was why “Warwick2” told me not to do it, because my car has gone so far. I think it is the perfect opportunity because the body is in near perfect condition. Neil did his conversion without shortening the inlet manifold, so that would not have to be an issue. Although I am not sure where he put the battery?

    Thanks for the encouragement, I will keep you all posted on the progress.

    Any one got a 205mi16 in Melbourne that I could have a look at?

  6. #6
    1000+ Posts Luca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    Dude i think his battery is in the boot.

    There's no Mi205s in Melb coz of all the shit u have 2 go through to get it rego'd. The best way 2 go would get the one that's in Perth (coz it's already got an engineer's cert.) and bring it here.

  7. #7
    Fellow Frogger! WRX2PUG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    339

    Icon14

    Yes, my 205-Mi16 is still for sale although I've got a couple of people interested in it at the moment and am putting together some more pictures hopefully this weekend

    Link to the original for-sale is here: My 205-Mi16 For Sale

    Cheers
    Steve
    Renault Clio F1R27 road car and Supercharged Lotus Elise track car

  8. #8
    Fellow Frogger! Andreas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,200

    Default

    You sure about that?
    Give it a few months

    Quote Originally Posted by Luca
    Dude i think his battery is in the boot.

    There's no Mi205s in Melb coz of all the shit u have 2 go through to get it rego'd. The best way 2 go would get the one that's in Perth (coz it's already got an engineer's cert.) and bring it here.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cam85
    Hi there

    OK Firstly have you been for a ride in or driven a MI16. If you have then you will understand the they are a quick car.
    Okay, look. I own an Mi16 and it is anything but quick. It's not slow, but it's definatly not quick.

  10. #10
    Fellow Frogger! ruckus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    491

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas
    You sure about that?
    Give it a few months
    By my count there are 4 projects along these lines in melbourne at the moment (including my preparations). does anyone else think it would be a good idea for us to get in contact with each other for ease of the process? ie: if one of us sorts out some of the vic-related problems then we all do =
    more 205 mi16s on the road!

  11. #11
    1000+ Posts Luca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    Have u thought about bolting a small roller baring turbo on it?
    Might be quicker/cheaper/just as fun....

  12. #12
    Fellow Frogger! Andreas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,200

    Default


    Quote Originally Posted by Luca
    Have u thought about bolting a small roller baring turbo on it?
    Might be quicker/cheaper/just as fun....

  13. #13
    1000+ Posts N5GTi6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elky
    Okay, look. I own an Mi16 and it is anything but quick. It's not slow, but it's definatly not quick.
    Oooohh - contentious! I also sometimes wonder about the fanfare associated with the GTi6 - I also think it's not quick, but that's the straight line thing. Standard rep Foulcans and Magna's can blow me away at the lights, but once we come to a corner - ByeBye repmobile! It's all about the package with a Peugeot. Throw in the ride / handling combo and the outright acceleration becomes less important.
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '10 308 Sportium Touring
    '12 Megane RS265 8:08

  14. #14
    Fellow Frogger! KRISKARRERA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    England!
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Why's mi16 into 205 conversions so rare over there?
    405 MI16
    170bhp
    Le lion va de la force à la force!

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    North Brisbane
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Because neither (205s or mi16's), are very prominent around here.
    They are fairly rare, which makes them expensive and hard to find.


    I'm curious tho. Why can't you 16v engine owners beat falcons off at the lights?

    We can do that in our 8v 1.9, and your engines have about 30 more hp....

  16. #16
    1000+ Posts N5GTi6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shmackie

    ...........snip..........

    I'm curious tho. Why can't you 16v engine owners beat falcons off at the lights?

    We can do that in our 8v 1.9, and your engines have about 30 more hp....
    The GTi6 is geared to hit 70km/h in first gear. This is quite tall for a car which weighs 1230kg's (even if my rego papers say 1178kg's) and the J4RS engine has been developed to deliver power with revs, meaning that you have to rev the tits off the thing to get the power (I'm not criticising this aspect - in fact I quite enjoy it!!). Getting off at the lights means either quite a lot of wheelspin with too many revs, or bogging down with not enough revs - it's quite a difficult balancing act, and after 5 years of 'practice' I would have to say that my success ratio of the really perfect 'launch' is about 25% at most. Maybe I just need more practice...

    The GTi6 might have 30HP more, but it also has about 300+kg's more as well - porky thing that it is! My old 1.9 8v was probably quicker to 50km/h, but after that I'd say the '6' would rapidly swallow it up.
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '10 308 Sportium Touring
    '12 Megane RS265 8:08

  17. #17
    Fellow Frogger! nchandler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    650

    Default

    I'm thinking seriously about doing the conversion next year - as I join the rat race, and start doing 50-60 hours a week. I live in Vic, but still maintain Tassie rego and license. I'm not sure about the intricacies of getting it engineered in Tassie, but I've heard about one, so I assume its possible.

    However I certainly don't plan on going down the balls out track car route. I'm hoping for a nice black leather retrim, cruise control, some good sound deadening, and generally make the car nicer for commuting.

    Nick

  18. #18
    Fellow Frogger! KRISKARRERA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    England!
    Posts
    134

    Default

    306 S16 and GTI6's must make alot more sense than an 1.9 Mi16 to you guys as the latter suffered so much in DFW form.
    The 160bhp D6C is obviously faster but funnily enough if you take the brochure power/torque graphs of the 160 bhp Mi16 and line it up with the 125bhp 1.9 405 SRI the Mi16 has nothing over the SRI until over 5000rpm. (Which makes sense anyway as the displacement is the same).
    405 MI16
    170bhp
    Le lion va de la force à la force!

  19. #19
    Fellow Frogger! Cubits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    555

    Default

    That was the point being made of the original 8v vs the 16v. The 8v has amazing in gear elasticity and that electric throttle. It's also probably very close to 100kmh to the 16v because it has the low end torque.

    The 8v 205 engine is an awesome achievement. In a day when everyone was going to 16v to get 140hp, peugeot did so with only 8, which gave them an enormous advantage through the lower rev range. It's why the 205 could humiliate the 16v golf gti of the day (surely the reason the 1.9L gti was created), whilst only managing the same power output.

    I wouldn't like to remove the best feature of the 205 for a few extra hp. Not when you can tweak the 8v out to 180hp, resulting in a car that's still relatively good in low revs, and can shame a 206 rc 180

  20. #20
    1000+ Posts PeterT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Castle Hill, Sydney
    Posts
    7,483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cubits

    I wouldn't like to remove the best feature of the 205 for a few extra hp. Not when you can tweak the 8v out to 180hp,
    A 180hp 8V is a very cranky, highly strung machine. Where as a 180hp 16V does it easy, with torque to burn.

    '92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

  21. #21
    1000+ Posts Luca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    A 180hp 8V is a very cranky, highly strung machine. Where as a 180hp 16V does it easy, with torque to burn.
    Put a turbo on an 8v and it'll have 200hp and torque 2 burn.

  22. #22
    Fellow Frogger! MYT205's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    1,063

    Default

    Or put nitrous on it.

    A 240hp 8v doesn't HAVE TO BE a cranky bitch to drive.

  23. #23
    1000+ Posts Luca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    What about a turbo for the forced induction and a 150 shot of NOS to cool the turbo temps down? 420hp and a bitch to get traction.

  24. #24
    Fellow Frogger! nchandler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luca
    What about a turbo for the forced induction and a 150 shot of NOS to cool the turbo temps down? 420hp and a bitch to get traction.

    I thought you'd quit smoking crack Luca!

  25. #25
    Fellow Frogger! MYT205's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    1,063

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luca
    What about a turbo for the forced induction and a 150 shot of NOS to cool the turbo temps down? 420hp and a bitch to get traction.
    Its hard enough to get traction off the line with 240hp.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •