Things to look for...
  • Register
  • Help
    AEA
    Tadpole

Icon5 Things to look for...

Hey, I am currently on the look out for a 205gti. I was just wondering if someone could tell me some things to check when looking at the cars. Are there any notorious problems that I can expect to find on them? I just wanna make sure I don't skip over the common faults that there may be. Thanx for any help!
    Adam

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Default tip

Loose trailing arm bearings, determined in extreme cases with a foot on top of rear wheel, violently rocking the top from side to side and listening for noise. Or if you are more dignified, jack the rear up and grab each wheel and try to move it towards the centre of the car and also rock from top to bottom, like you would for a wheel bearing test. Any play, anything at all, and the trailing arm bearings are shot.

In less advanced situations, go underneath and look for signs of rusty powdery residue at the trailing arm articulation point on the cross member. If there is a rusty residue there, the price of the car instantly drops by $2500-3000, at least. Or walk away....

hi welcome to the forum.

Your question has been asked numerous times before. Feel free to use the search function & type in what you are interested in, i can asure you will get heaps of info.

Thread Information