• Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By 750sport
  • 1 Post By PCOATES505
  • 1 Post By driven

Thread: Water leaking into 405 trunk

Tadpole

Default Water leaking into 405 trunk

Hi all am having an issue with water leaking into my 405 trunk, I thought was from antenna so i removed it and taped off the hole. After rains fell still water in trunk. So got hose and started control trickle from base of rear windshield to top whilst peeping inside trunk. And so far it seems the area on top left side where roof meets rear left pillar?... has crack in the weld or putty?
    Is this a common problem with 405s? What can i do as temp fix until car goes to body shop for painting.

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Water leaking into 405 trunk-20160718_133446.jpg  

Mine once leaked and it turned out to be the tail lights being slightly loose. Once tightened there were no more leaks.
    Lotus Evora
    Peugeot 308 GTi
    1966 Volvo 122s
    Citroen C4 VTS

Previous
    Lotus Sport 111, RCZ, 205 GTi, Volvo C30 T5-R, Honda S2000, 206 GTi180, Lotus Elise 111R, 205 GTi 6, Manual 406 coupe, 306 GTi 6, 405 MI16 (twice!), 505 GR

Yep, seal around the tail lights.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Yep third for that. I used silicone on mine to stop the leaking

Sent from my SM-G930F using aussiefrogs mobile app
    406 D8 V6 manual

I own a 405 Mi16 and I had some moisture in the boot as well as some rust that I could see on the driver's side of the roof. The paint was crazing badly and I took it to my repairer for a quote. To my surprise he said the there was more rust than could be seen and that he would have to take the rust out as well as respray the roof. It took a week but he job was excellently done and I no longer have the boot problem.
    John505

+1 for the tail lights, that's where mine were leaking too.

Tadpole

Ok I did the water hose test and discovered the right tail light is leaky but not as bad as the left side D pillar meets roof, where the water makes it's way inside the panel and drips onto the wheel arch and pools. This happens in less than a min with trickle hose far less heavy rain down pour. Have to always be aware and park nose up so water dose not flow under rear seat.
    The tail lights should be easy bead line of silicone fix but the other left side roof area.....uughh

Am looking for temp fix until car goes into body shop.....maybe silicone...2 part epoxy??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Water leaking into 405 trunk-20160719_081848.jpg   Water leaking into 405 trunk-20160719_081830.jpg   Water leaking into 405 trunk-20160719_081925.jpg   Water leaking into 405 trunk-20160719_081555.jpg  

Hi,

This has been used on vehicles to reseal leaking roofs on some other French cars...

Buy Captain Tolley Creeping Crack Cure online at Marine-Deals.com.au

Tony
    Ahing6 likes this.
    "fast , cheap and reliable...you can only pick two"

Tadpole

Looks good, will shop around for it or may have to order online.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 750sport View Post
    Hi,

This has been used on vehicles to reseal leaking roofs on some other French cars...

Buy Captain Tolley Creeping Crack Cure online at Marine-Deals.com.au

Tony

Strange! I had the same problem in my ex-405, but it was from the taillight gasket. A bit of silicone fixed that.
    1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection post-restoration reassembly underway!
    Register your 404: https://recensement.leclub404.com/submit.php

Quote Originally Posted by Ahing6 View Post
    Ok I did the water hose test and discovered the right tail light is leaky but not as bad as the left side D pillar meets roof, where the water makes it's way inside the panel and drips onto the wheel arch and pools. This happens in less than a min with trickle hose far less heavy rain down pour. Have to always be aware and park nose up so water dose not flow under rear seat.
    The tail lights should be easy bead line of silicone fix but the other left side roof area.....uughh

Am looking for temp fix until car goes into body shop.....maybe silicone...2 part epoxy??
    Panel beaters use this stuff where panels join.
    3M Heavy Drip-Chek Sealer 8531

cheers Pete
    Ahing6 likes this.

I am gunna get another 403 on the road........one day

Tadpole

Ok it's been long but I finally found second source of water leak.
    After i did the silicone seal on right tail light, it still had water pooling behind it.
    This time i had to peek literally where the sun don't shine.
    Saw wetness above light which turned out to be coming from rear fender & rear tail panel joint.
    Put garden flow on this area and YES.... water seepage!
    Took a soft brass brush and cleaned it out as in pic and smeared silicone into open joint.....done.
    Now the next problem is, i used grey silicone on taillight gasket and it's stuck like !#**!
    Will have to use a thin blade to separate with some lube to ease it off while gently pushing on studs, don't want to crack the light now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Water leaking into 405 trunk-406.jpg   Water leaking into 405 trunk-405.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Tippett View Post
    Strange! I had the same problem in my ex-405, but it was from the taillight gasket. A bit of silicone fixed that.
    Standard off shelf silicone sealants give off Acetic Acid vapours. This causes corrosion. Worst case is apply this to any rusted surface.
    You all accelerate the rate of corrosion.

Manufacturers even say this in their product data sheets. But who reads this.

http://www.siliconeconcepts.com/pdf/...ealants/GP.pdf

Get the good stuff Australian SIKA

Industrial - Sika Retail

If you have used the cheap stuff, get rid of it as it will corrode your car
    Ahing6 likes this.

Tadpole

Hmmm...good call 'driven' am liking the Sika sealing tape product. I think it's best for my repair application.
    Will do a check for it at our local Budget Marine, that's where i got Capt. Tolley's Creeping Crack.

Cheers.

Thread Information