Locked Out
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: Locked Out

Locked Out

Oh crap! My 505 has locked me out! What an insult after all the pampering I give to this bloody car!

What do I do? I can, of course, climb over from the passenger side, but that's hardly stylish is it? I've sprayed about 6 tonne of WD40 into every orifice of the lock/latch with no luck. Can't imagine I'll be able to take the door trim off without the door being opened. I'm guessing the soleniod is stuffed. Am I doomed?

<small>[ 20 July 2003, 07:52 PM: Message edited by: Liam Wishart ]</small>

Advertisement

Not actually a solonoid just a small 12v motor and a gear and rack system. You should be able to take off the trim if it is still shut. Take off arm rest prise out the escutcheon around the lock button, prise off the trim from the lower door, lift it carefully feel for resistance from the plastic clips and help them with a screwdriver or similar between the trim and door. Much easier with the door open but still possible. Lift the door trim up towards the roof and presto access to the pesky lock problem. If you need one let me know I have 8 spares.

BTW I recently had a flat battery at the same time I had to do an engine changeover. The Central locking jammed every door but the passenger front locked, could not unlock with the key. Damn awkward changing pedals from Auto to Manual through the Pass door.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

poo. I should check this forum more regularly - I just bought a new door motor etc for a cool $60! With eight of them, you're sitting on a gold mine! By the by, the car obviously knew that I was about to do something drastic to it, and magically began working again this morning. Of course not before me looking like a twit climbing out the passenger side.

One of our GTI's does the same thing...

From time to time the drivers door will not unlock...you just cant turn the key all the way to unlock it..

Only way I can fix it is to pull the trim off and run the centeral locking motor up and down once or twice then it comes good...

and often stays good for a couple of months!

Any thoughts on that one ?

Ben
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1990 Peugeot 505 GTD Turbo Wagon
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

I would pull the actuator out of the door, and seperate the plastic housing and check for dust etc on the rack, binding it up. Also the little motor may be getting a bit sick and a replacement would fix it.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

What mine was doing prior to locking me out completely was that it would go through phases where the locking mechanism would kinda "seize" and make it near impossible to lock the car ie. almost snapping the key in the lock trying to turn it to lock, but move freely when unlocking it. Like Ben said, I'd take the trim off have a bit of a tinker and I'd get a few weeks where it would behave. However on the occasion it locked me out, I could turn the key without any resistance, the lock on the inside would pop up, but would then spring back the second I let go of the key (and still wouldn't unlock). Previously I've lubricated the machanism thinking that it might help, but to no avail. I'm told that it's pretty common for the motor that runs the locking system to fail on the 505.

Liam,

Thats EXACTLY the same fault as one of out cars !

Can you let me know if your new centeral locking motor makes the fault go away?

Cheers

Ben
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1990 Peugeot 505 GTD Turbo Wagon
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

I replaced it last night and it all is going well. Although its early days, I'm confident that's sorted the problem out. Shall let you know if it starts to play up again.

Thread Information