how best would i get 110kw out of a 1.6l carburated 205
  • Register
  • Help

Default how best would i get 110kw out of a 1.6l carburated 205

allright guys i'm thinking up a project for the near future to get a few more ponies under my bonet. project will be to keep the stock 1.6l carburated engine but i want to make 110 kw out of it. reason for keeping the 1.6 are many, number 1 is that the car probably wont get defected, number 2 is that its oversquare meaning that it'll rev a lot nicer then a 1.9. my main thoughts are towards plonking on a biger webber or something along those lines and keeping most of the rest stock, the internals should be able to handle this sort of kw?. anyway im up for opinons and/or useful infromation. cheers

Advertisement
    Last edited by orestes; 8th April 2004 at 12:05 PM.

One thing worries me about the project, and that's the word 'automatic'.
    Head will need to come off for porting and compression. Cam needed. New manifold to suit either twin webers(bad idea) or gti injection(computer required) or go the whole hog and do throttle bodies.
    Exhaust isn't big enough.etc etc.
    Then at the end of the day you have an unsaleable auto imported 1.6 hot rod.
    Who would buy it. Don't waste your money, cos you won't get any of it back Buy a VL turbo and put a Lance Bulldog motor in it.

Quote Originally Posted by orestes
    allright guys i'm thinking up a project for the near future to get a few more ponies under my bonet. project will be to keep the stock 1.6l carburated engine but i want to make 110 kw out of it. reason for keeping the 1.6 are many, number 1 is that the car probably wont get defected, number 2 is that its oversquare meaning that it'll rev a lot nicer then a 1.9. m
    Stick a 16V head on it, one of my special inlet cams and twin 45 webers. You'll definetly need to ditch the auto though, as you'll need short gearing to make the RPM, needed to make the horsepower. As Warwick said though, it becomes a pointless excercise after a while.
    Last edited by PeterT; 7th April 2004 at 07:21 PM.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Buy a VL turbo and put a Lance Bulldog motor in it

yuck i don't want a bombadore, i just want a 1.6l frog with a rocket it up its ass, without the bullshit of electronics. all things considerd though resale might have to come before fun though
    Last edited by orestes; 7th April 2004 at 11:05 PM.

VIP Sponsor

yuck i don't want a bombadore, i just want a 1.6l frog with a rocket it up its ass, without the bullshit of electronics. all things considerd though resale might have to come before fun though

I have considered a similar approach to my 205 SI, the 1.6 is an excellent motor. I won't be bothering for a while, though, as the car goes very well as is. I did a bit of a search on UK sites but it seems that everyone is using the fuel injected engine.

Anyway, the next step is to fit the quaife diff and then do a few motorkhana and khanacross events.

Graham Wallis

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    I have considered a similar approach to my 205 SI, the 1.6 is an excellent motor. I won't be bothering for a while, though, as the car goes very well as is. I did a bit of a search on UK sites but it seems that everyone is using the fuel injected engine.

Anyway, the next step is to fit the quaife diff and then do a few motorkhana and khanacross events.

Graham Wallis
    nice, so i'm not the only person crazy enough to consider this kind of thing

nice, so i'm not the only person crazy enough to consider this kind of thing
    Hi,

I say the car is unsalebale due to its import nature. So ditch the auto put in a s1 gti box and go have a chat to peter t. I say go for it you will not regret having a 205 that goes like a rocket. (you may want to fix the suspension before anything?)

Cheers Nick

Quote Originally Posted by briz205
    Hi,

I say the car is unsalebale due to its import nature. So ditch the auto put in a s1 gti box and go have a chat to peter t. I say go for it you will not regret having a 205 that goes like a rocket. (you may want to fix the suspension before anything?)

Cheers Nick
    just out of curiosity has anyone ever fited a gti6 gearbox to a 205 or would this be a no go. would haveing 6 gears over 5 make a difrence and what are the ratios of the 205 gearboxes in comparison to say a gti6 gearbox
    Last edited by orestes; 8th April 2004 at 12:09 PM.

6 speed in the 205 and 405 has been done many times in Europe.
    Your turning circle to the right will be affected though, ask any GTi6 driver what it'slike.

VIP Sponsor

allright guys i'm thinking up a project for the near future to get a few more ponies under my bonet. project will be to keep the stock 1.6l carburated engine but i want to make 110 kw out of it. reason for keeping the 1.6 are many, number 1 is that the car probably wont get defected, number 2 is that its oversquare meaning that it'll rev a lot nicer then a 1.9. my main thoughts are towards plonking on a biger webber or something along those lines and keeping most of the rest stock, the internals should be able to handle this sort of kw?. anyway im up for opinons and/or useful infromation. cheers

I forgot to mention this, there is no way you will get 110kw out of an 8 valve 1.6 unless it is in full race trim, with twin sidedrafts etc. It would then become undrivable on the road.
    Let's face it, a Euro spec 1.9 GTI has only 94 kw and this has motronic injection and a lot of good tuning work by Peugeot as well as the extra 300cc. How are you going to beat that?
    I reckon around 80 kw is what you should aim for with cam, headwork and a decent carby.

Graham Wallis

I know it may take away from the FUN FACTOR but you have proven race car on your hands for the $12k Darren is asking for his 13sec 1/4 mile rocketship.
    also a 1.6L in the Cars For Sale section.
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    I forgot to mention this, there is no way you will get 110kw out of an 8 valve 1.6 unless it is in full race trim, with twin sidedrafts etc. It would then become undrivable on the road.
    Let's face it, a Euro spec 1.9 GTI has only 94 kw and this has motronic injection and a lot of good tuning work by Peugeot as well as the extra 300cc. How are you going to beat that?
    I reckon around 80 kw is what you should aim for with cam, headwork and a decent carby.

Graham Wallis
    hmm, what sort of power does the euro spec 1.6 have, considering thats the engine in my car... maybe i'll get the car dynoed and work out what i have to start with

VIP Sponsor

hmm, what sort of power does the euro spec 1.6 have, considering thats the engine in my car... maybe i'll get the car dynoed and work out what i have to start with

The euro spec 1.6 GTI is 83 Kw, yours is 58 Kw.
    The SI is 65 Kw.
    You could get the same as the GTI with a carburetor but there wouldn't be a lot of torque.
    Darrens' car sounds like a bargain to me.
    Graham Wallis

Thread Information