205 - what to look for?
  • Register
  • Help
    ant

Default 205 - what to look for?

hi there

i'm from the uk, and looking to buy a 205 soon. i've seem to have tried all over the web, but can't find any uk peugeot forums to get advice. you guys seem pretty knowledgeable, so i thought i'd ask here.

what sort of things should i look out for when buying a 205? (its an 88 'open', by the way)

Advertisement

are there any parts that tend to go wrong? what should i look for? any tips much appreciated!!

thanks guys

ant

anyone? pleeeeeease?!

It's just like any other car brow. Look for low kays, dosn't blow smoke, no accidents, no rust, etc.....

Take the thing for a long drive and make sure everything works.

Tadpole

If its a 'open' then its a 1.4, should be white with white bumpers and maybe a green interior.

They don't rust on cars after '88, so don't look for that..
    Bounce the backend of the car to check the rear suspension is still working. The bearings in the rear axle on 205s seize so be sure that the rear wheels are upright and don't have any camber
    Check for leaks in the rear footwells, this is usually the rear side window seals
    Don't worry about mayonaise in the oil filler cap, most pugs do that, instead check the dipstick for mayo, if theres any on the dipstick then its got a blown head gasket
    Don't worry if the gearchange is crap, thats a 205 feature. As long as it goes in gear then thats ok.
    Don't worry if the clutch release bearing creaks, again, thats a 205 feature..
    If theres a knocking from the front suspension its usually the anti roll bar drop links, about 12 each to replace
    Sometimes the glovebox door falls off in your hands
    The dashboard creaks and rattles on most 205s
    If it has a tilt/slide sunroof then slide back the sun blind on the inside and check for leaks, also you can get water in the actual handle, so when you pull it be prepared to get wet..

Anyway, the best 205 place is http://forum.205gtidrivers.com
    Its mainly for GTi's but theres a contingent of 1.4 XS owners

Thread Information