Steering BOSS' for 505??
  • Register
  • Help

Steering BOSS' for 505??

Can anyone shed some light on whether anyone makes a Boss kit for 505's??

Might have access to a couple of cheap unknown brand steering wheels and figure they would look pretty good.....

Also is there a legality issue with steering wheels??

Thanks

Advertisement

Jono
    1989 BX16Valve

"Resting" 1983 505 STi

crosspug:
    Can anyone shed some light on whether anyone makes a Boss kit for 505's??

Thanks

Jono
    If you have access to a few basic tools, including a welder, you can make one using your original factory boss. If you cut off the plastic/rubber material around the steel, cut off the steel rods just before they join the wheel itself, and weld a steel washer on the end of them, drilled to fit your new steering wheel, voila! You can bolt your new wheel to it.

Then all you need is some kind of shroud to cover the boss so that it looks good.

Not sure about legality. Safety should be OK, because you're using the same rods which were there to begin with, and they are crimped flat down near the base so that they bend easily in an accident.

I've made one of these, and my father has made two, so it isn't hard, and it doesn't really take that long either. A couple of hours plus whatever time it takes to get a washer of the right size made up by a machinist. My machinist did it for twenty dollars. A lot cheaper than an after-market boss. And more satisfying.

Regards,
    John Lane.
    Current: 406 Coupe, 504 Sedan

Previous: 306XSi, 205GTi, 206Gti, 505 V6, 505 Wagon, 504 Sedan, 504 Wagon, 306Gti6, 306XT, 205Si, Citroen XM, Citroen Xantia

Gus
    The guy who sells dodgy car stuff at Paddy's Markets once quoted me for one. He looked the part up in his book, etc. and said he had one in stock and could get it for me tomorrow. I forget how much he wanted, but it seemed reasonable enough.

They also appear on eBay from time to time.

As for legality, there are legal limits on steering wheel size and possibly they're meant to pass some kind of engineering standard, but I'd say you're safe unless your 505 has fat flames on the side, a 3 foot spoiler, or a turbo motor (and if it's the one I sold you, and it has any of those, I want to see it so I can laugh!)

Smaller wheels are meant to make a good difference to a 505 from a driving perspective, too.

Smaller wheels are meant to make a good difference to a 505 from a driving perspective, too
    Thats why I first thought of it, cheap and if it makes the car even nicer to drive why the hell not wink

and if it's the one I sold you, and it has any of those, I want to see it so I can laugh!
    Flames I'll leave, Spoiler i'll certainly leave and as for the turbo I'm thinking more a supercharger......... wink

Jono whistle

BTW thanks for ideas, I don't have a welder but might be able to scam one from somewhere.....then we're in business

<small>[ 21 July 2003, 12:43 PM: Message edited by: crosspug ]</small>
    1989 BX16Valve

"Resting" 1983 505 STi

Thread Information