205 questions
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 205 questions

Tadpole

Default 205 questions

hey im a new member, ATM i drive a 1.6 206 5 door completely stock, its my dads but im the only driver, basically i cant mod it. within a year i will look to buy a 1.9 205, firstly i would like to no how much i should spend on a good condition s2, and what are the best mods to get it running a little hotter (the only thing i no to do is a new air filter), i will be adding a new devil exhaust to it and some new wheels.

Advertisement

also will the little s2 beast be way quicker than the 1.6???

thanks

Tadpole

and what is the difference between a 205 1.9 gti and a 205 mi16???

Yes, the S2 will be far quicker than the 1.6! I'd look anywhere between $7-10k for a decent S2. I'd look at the following modifications if you are chasing more power.

- Shave the head, up the compression to near 10:1.
    - Get the cam reground into something a little wilder
    - Port and polish job

As far as basics go thats about all you can really do, until you start looking at custom EMS systems, and really serious compression/cams that stall at idle, etc.

Edit: 205 GTi 1.9 = 8V 75/90kw engine... 205 Mi16 = 16V 108kw(?) engine ripped out of the 405 mi16.

Nick

Tadpole

Icon5

thanks nick,
    how much would those mods cost me though??

Quote Originally Posted by pug maniac
    thanks nick,
    how much would those mods cost me though??

Hard to say - if you can't get mate's rates, I'd be expecting $1500-2000 incl. labour. PeterT does a bit of a head exchange thingo from memory, might well be a bit cheaper, and quite convenient.

Nick

Tadpole

Icon7

[QUOTE=nchandler]Hard to say - if you can't get mate's rates, I'd be expecting $1500-2000 incl. labour. PeterT does a bit of a head exchange thingo from memory, might well be a bit cheaper, and quite convenient.

thanks very much nick, been very helpful!!!
    any other input from other members is very welcome!!

party pooper on stage here:

Pugs were never pure power machines. The handling of those little pocket rockets is where the fun is. I'd suggest leaving the motor alone and concentrating on suspension mods and the best tyres you can possibly afford.
    It may be a lot more fun in the long run, and makes the car safer as well.
    You can probably add to the list advanced driver training nad few track days.

Either way enjoy the pug experience.
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by tekkie
    party pooper on stage here:

Pugs were never pure power machines. The handling of those little pocket rockets is where the fun is. I'd suggest leaving the motor alone and concentrating on suspension mods and the best tyres you can possibly afford.
    It may be a lot more fun in the long run, and makes the car safer as well.
    You can probably add to the list advanced driver training nad few track days.

Either way enjoy the pug experience.
    thank u on your input tekkie, obviously a pug is not a pure power machine, but i will be doing many track days and a little extra pace wont be going the wrong way... that said, suspension and tyres will and have always been a top priority, but i will still make some basic modifications to the motor

hey im a new member, ATM i drive a 1.6 206 5 door completely stock, its my dads but im the only driver, basically i cant mod it. within a year i will look to buy a 1.9 205, firstly i would like to no how much i should spend on a good condition s2, and what are the best mods to get it running a little hotter (the only thing i no to do is a new air filter), i will be adding a new devil exhaust to it and some new wheels.

thanks

hey man your not the only one that drices a 205 5 door , the 1.9 will probably be faster then the 1.6 BUT the 1.6 is oversquare which meens it will rev better then the 1.9 which is undersquare

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by orestes

hey man your not the only one that drices a 205 5 door , the 1.9 will probably be faster then the 1.6 BUT the 1.6 is oversquare which meens it will rev better then the 1.9 which is undersquare
    actually i am in a 206 atm, which is y im wondering about the diff between a 1.6 206 and 1.9 205

my bad i misread your post

firstly i would like to no how much i should spend on a good condition s2, and what are the best mods to get it running a little hotter (the only thing i no to do is a new air filter), i will be adding a new devil exhaust to it and some new wheels.

Welcome to AF,

You should do a search on modding 205s. Youll notice that spending money on air filters and exhausts will really get you no where. As the other guys said upping the CR and regrinding the Cam and flowing the head will see a nice power rise. Also as Tekkie said that spending money on the susoension will also see you corner faster. I think from memory at the last oran park meet i went to Parry ran 5 seconds a lap quicker in a STOCK engine just by spending a few dollars on the right suspension mods.
    Also a MI16 engine (decent one) will set you back about 2500$ and fitting will set you back about another 1300 or so.(prices are from experience. i know others spent more or less)

Anyways have fun Puggin. Remamber pugs are not traffic light cars. Corners were made for them.

Cam
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

As cam said I was able to improve lap times by 5 secs by adding 23mm torsion bars at the rear, 250lb springs on the front with Konis all round.

The engine is the stock 74kw S1.

More to the point, in one session I went out with a Nissan 200sx and was able to catch very easily at the back of the circuit but it pulled away down the straight. He ran a 1:29.9 I ran a 1:30:7. Not bad for 74kw.

My advise is to mods things in this order:

Brakes
    Tires
    Shocks
    Springs and ride height
    Then and only then engine.

Cheers
    Parry
    90 205 Gti Cherry Red(Track Car)
    2009 207gti
    1985 505gti (Shitbox Rally) Sold

PBs:

Oran Park: 1:27:9
    Wakefield: 1:05.6 (July 2015)
    Eastern Creek: 1:47 (16V) 2019
    Mt Huntley: 34.44 (2004 stock 205)
    Ringwood: 35.06 (30/10/2005)
    Winton: 1:33.6 (2017)

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by parry
    As cam said I was able to improve lap times by 5 secs by adding 23mm torsion bars at the rear, 250lb springs on the front with Konis all round.

The engine is the stock 74kw S1.

More to the point, in one session I went out with a Nissan 200sx and was able to catch very easily at the back of the circuit but it pulled away down the straight. He ran a 1:29.9 I ran a 1:30:7. Not bad for 74kw.

My advise is to mods things in this order:

Brakes
    Tires
    Shocks
    Springs and ride height
    Then and only then engine.

Cheers
    Parry
    thank u, and i agree, but i think that the guy in 200sx must hav been a pretty sh*tty driver... cause those things are quick...

You just don't get it do you?

Just because it is quick in a straight line doesn't mean it will win over a piece of raod that involves corners. In a drag, yes, but over a lap of a circuit, not necessarily.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

this seems to come up again and again

when the GTi-6 was released in 98 they did a test at the creek between the WRX and the GTi-6 and the GTi set a faster lap time than the WRX

yes the WRX is faster off the line and in a straight line but pugs are made for driving not traffic light grand prix's

when they stop putting bends in roads they will stop making pugs............
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Parry,
    I didnt see you mention that Ashley couldnt give the kays back quick enough after driving the suspnsion modded 205 for a week. Has he recovered and got most fo the kidney function back?

The 23mm is a no compromise race suspension mod for this car, and Im glad to see the benefit. (little swifty has to watch its ass end now for the angry angry Pug in the rear view).
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

thank u, and i agree, but i think that the guy in 200sx must hav been a pretty sh*tty driver... cause those things are quick...
    The driver of the car was a very competant driver, he has raced formula fords and elises for many years.

It didnt have braking of the pug, nor the handling, or the grip in the tires all it had was grunt.

I also often beat WRXs and Skyline GTRs with avarage drivers.
    90 205 Gti Cherry Red(Track Car)
    2009 207gti
    1985 505gti (Shitbox Rally) Sold

PBs:

Oran Park: 1:27:9
    Wakefield: 1:05.6 (July 2015)
    Eastern Creek: 1:47 (16V) 2019
    Mt Huntley: 34.44 (2004 stock 205)
    Ringwood: 35.06 (30/10/2005)
    Winton: 1:33.6 (2017)

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by MYT205
    You just don't get it do you?

Just because it is quick in a straight line doesn't mean it will win over a piece of raod that involves corners. In a drag, yes, but over a lap of a circuit, not necessarily.
    alls im saying is that 4 a car that got car of the year a couple of years ago (200sx) it seems a fairly all round sort of car, and i think put him in a pug and hed be slower than in his 200sx

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

alls im saying is that 4 a car that got car of the year a couple of years ago (200sx) it seems a fairly all round sort of car, and i think put him in a pug and hed be slower than in his 200sx

going back a few years but i used to have friends that had XU-1's and RS2000's and they thought these things handled great while i was in a 504 TI

bottom line was they could never keep up when the road got twisty

the 504 was outrun by the XU-1 in a straight line and the RS2000 would struggle to keep up to either the pug or holden but the pug had it all in handling

pugs are renowned for handling and in the right hands will fend off many a "greater" car
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Thread Information