Peugeot 205CTi engine replacement saga
  • Register
  • Help

Icon9 Peugeot 205CTi engine replacement saga

Recently my 1988 Peugeot 205CTi 1598cc engine blew it's head gasket. It was cheaper to go out and buy a 2nd-hand engine. I thought 'what the hell I'll get a 1.9!' so I've put this 1.9 in from a wrecked Pug 309 GTi. anyway it runs but with two problems.
    1. The idling revs surge, is the airflow meter from the 1598cc going to work well with the 1.9 engine?
    2. fuel consumption is excessive (off 30 litres of gas around town I'm getting 193 kilometres)....do I need the matching computer from the 309 GTi and/or is something else to blame?
    Can someone please help?

Advertisement

I'd suggest you try & compare the part numbers or specs for the AFM because it stands to reason there could be differences between a 1.6 & a 1.9 engine.
    If the Lambda is sensing that the oxygen volume is excessive, it will effectively richen the mixture to compensate hence the V8 supercar fuel consumption.
    My knowledge of EFi is pretty basic; I know enough to get myself out of (and sometimes into) trouble, but I'd suggest you have a poke around this site as it usually has something somewhere to answer most problems.

http://www.vectorbd.com/peugeot/bosch.html

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Hi supersi, One of the pugs I have is a 205 CTi (currently for sale ). It too started life with a 1.6 and the previous owner replaced it with a 1.9 GTi motor when the 1.6 died of old age.

It runs extremely well and with the 1.6 gearbox is very zippy. The work was done by Northshore Rallysport in Sydney. I'm no expert but I believe they needed to do some minor mods to the computer to get it to run properly. Why don't you look up there number on www.whitepages.com.au and give them a ring.

Cheers
    Steve
    Renault Clio F1R27 road car and Supercharged Lotus Elise track car

Tadpole

The AFM and ECUs are different, for 1.9 engines the part number on the AFM needs to end in 9

ECUs errr dunno. Lots of part numbers. I think they are compatible (1.6 vs 1.9) but have some minor differences, rev limit on 1.6 ECU is higher than 1.9 etc)

If you can't find what you need in Oz then you could ask this guy if he has what you need, he's got a couple of bits a pieces. Don't know if he posts to Oz though.

Default Peugeot 205 1.6 re engined with 1.9 update

The Pug now has the correct ECU which was fitted to the 309 the 1.9 came from. This has fixed the engine surging problems. I guess the airflowmeter works now. However! The engine is now missing and fuel consumption is horrendous.
    I've put in new plugs and tested the resistance on the leads (range from 3.2 to 9.0) but the problem remains. How do you fix a missing engine?

Quote Originally Posted by supersi
    How do you fix a missing engine?
    Tell it 2 come back!!

Default The 205 CTi story continues.....

After searching forever I found some Bosch plug leads that fit my distributor cap. Anyway I've changed them over and most of the missing seems to have disappeared. I'm still left with quite a bit of backfiring (not like a gunshot but more like a coughing rumble) when I take my foot off the accelerator. The engine seems to be lacking in power and general liveliness.

1.6 exhaust too restrictive for the 1.9? The rumbling on trailing throttle could be a leaky exhaust manifold gasket.

Your not using 1.6 injectors on the 1.9 are you? That may cause fuel starvation (missing) and play hell with mixtures and what the ECU thinks is going on.

It crossed my mind that a 1.6 exhaust may be too small...I dunno, I'll have to ask the mechanic when he checks it on wednesday. Leaky exhaust manifold gasket? Have to check that out too.

Icon5 exhaust differences 309GTi Vs 205CTi

Having dropped a 309GTi 1.9 engine into a 205 CTi 1.6 body, do I need to change the exhaust sytem over too? I'm wondering if I'm not getting good performance because the exhaust is in fact too small for the engine. Also how easy is it to swap them over? Does the 309 have a similar underbelly layout to the 205?
    Any ideas?

Thread Information