Tyres and the notorious Beechmont Road.
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Tyres and the notorious Beechmont Road.

Default Tyres and the notorious Beechmont Road.

Now this is the road to wear your tyres out.

Re my wife's Pug 207cc Sport, her Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE002's only last 28,000 klicks.

All bikers beware, the notorious Beechmont Road, Gold Coast Hinterland.
    I live at the top of this road, and the Red Jett, with its SR20DE donk, just loves it…

The rider is initially on the Nerang - Murwillumbah Road, and then at 0:50 turns right into Beechmont Road. Eight motorcyclists have written themselves off over the last six years on this infamous road. You'll get the gist.
    My street is on the left at 7:24

I timed him to my street turn off. He did it in 6 mins 35 secs. I've done it in the Red Jett in 8 minutes. Normal should be 12 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YtNI_xjT8Q

Pics: Tart and Red Jett
    Tyres and the notorious Beechmont Road.-img_0338.jpgTyres and the notorious Beechmont Road.-sss-007b.jpg

Advertisement
    Last edited by 207cc Sport; 19th May 2016 at 01:00 PM. Reason: typos...
    The French Tart…

Fellow Frogger!

8 Minutes ha I can ride my Bicycle up in 22 mins fast guy,s in under 17mins.

Quote Originally Posted by marty 404 View Post
    8 Minutes ha I can ride my Bicycle up in 22 mins fast guy,s in under 17mins.

If you peddle your tredley up Beechmont Road, you are asking for the Grim Reaper to visit you on that road.

Go for it...

Cheers...
    Last edited by 207cc Sport; 20th May 2016 at 02:30 PM.
    shanadoo likes this.
    The French Tart…

Quote Originally Posted by 207cc Sport View Post
    If you peddle your tredley up Beechmont Road, you are asking for the Grim Reaper to visit you on that road.

Go for it...

Cheers...
    Or alternativly the car drivers can slow the **** down and understand there are other road users out there - its not a personal racetrack and if you kill someone you will be going to jail...

Shit style boasting about personal best times on public roads...

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/comm...19-gozi53.html
    Last edited by Haakon; 20th May 2016 at 04:06 PM.
    Dano likes this.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Wow, what a road !!! No cyclist should even set foot on it. That is utter stupidity.... They should be charged and have the fancy brand name bikes squished if found riding somewhere as stupid as that... maybe the cost of buying another fashion accessory will make them think twice before trying to commit vehicular suicide again ( I doubt it though, the pointy seats sure do hurt there brains).

No amount of shiny bright costume is going to save them when they get squished on that road!

say, can someone lend me a 205 GTi to have a drive up the hill on

seeya,
    Shane L.
    207cc Sport, addo and shanadoo like this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Wow, what a road !!! No cyclist should even set foot on it. That is utter stupidity.... They should be charged and have the fancy brand name bikes squished if found riding somewhere as stupid as that... maybe the cost of buying another fashion accessory will make them think twice before trying to commit vehicular suicide again ( I doubt it though, the pointy seats sure do hurt there brains).

No amount of shiny bright costume is going to save them when they get squished on that road!

seeya,
    Shane L.
    We can at least spell though...

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
    Or alternativly the car drivers can slow the **** down and understand there are other road users out there - its not a personal racetrack and if you kill someone you will be going to jail...

Shit style boasting about personal best times on public roads...

Next time you drive past a cyclist, remember the driver who hit Uncle Col
    One of my favorite runs but this is a narrow road in many places with no forward vision, where a nice enjoyable run is quite often spoiled by a wobbly or two refusing to show some respect for other road users and keep hard left, in single file, or stay home. On a busy day crawling behind some bouncing ignoramus to a section where you can pass safely can be a frustrating event.

A couple of years ago, eldest Son had to go bush on a down run on his Thruxton when Bob the Builder came around a blind bend on the wrong side. Son was speared off into a culvert and somehow managed to stay upright on the bike [more or less] into the bush. Luckily, no serious damage to his person, $3000 to the bike and Bob didn't stop. Bedstead jockey or maybe a less experienced bike rider would've been dead for sure. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by shanadoo View Post
    One of my favorite runs but this is a narrow road in many places with no forward vision, where a nice enjoyable run is quite often spoiled by a wobbly or two refusing to show some respect for other road users and keep hard left, in single file, or stay home. .
    Oh right. You mean they were not getting out of your way, and simply riding along in a perfectly legal fashion? Damn them to hell...

They were probably delibaratly holding you back so you wouldnt be a complete ****wit and squeeze them off the road on a narrow blind corner...

Suck it up princess, if you cant handle slow traffic hand in your license and do us all a favour.
    shanadoo likes this.

I like the little mono @ 07:53 - very nice road - on either a Motorcycle or a pushbike or even a car. I do all of them and enjoy them equally ! I hate it too when I'm coming down a hill on the Jim Bundy custom Reynolds 531 and a car slows me down....

Cheers

Justin
    207cc Sport likes this.
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '10 308 Sportium Touring
    '12 Megane RS265 8:08

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

keep it friendly guys
    Dano and FedGrapes like this.
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x '98 306 GTi6

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

WTD long range fuel tank for 605

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post

seeya,
    Shane L.
    I'm a pretty keen cyclist (shall never been seen wearing a gimp suit though, uhh... sorry lycra) and completely agree with all of this.

That road is completely inappropriate to ride a push bike on, unless it is closed to traffic for an event. I doubt anyone riding there is commuting..... and if you are riding for recreation then surely riding a bike path or going mountain biking would be a better option, less cars too, or even ride around the city where there are bike lanes.
    207cc Sport likes this.

Quite a road.
    Reminds me of our local "Gillies Range Road" which connects the Atherton Tablelands with Cairns.
    Famous for its 263 corners, and 800 m elevation change in only 19 km of road.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GdiHRTLAcc
    Video is a bit slow to get into it, bear with it.
    Paul.

Here is a better video. Helmet mounted camera. Fast but courteous rider.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YOfrqnPUlc
    Last edited by 504-504-504; 22nd May 2016 at 12:55 PM.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shanadoo View Post

A couple of years ago, eldest Son had to go bush on a down run on his Thruxton when Bob the Builder came around a blind bend on the wrong side. Son was speared off into a culvert and somehow managed to stay upright on the bike [more or less] into the bush. Luckily, no serious damage to his person, $3000 to the bike and Bob didn't stop. Bedstead jockey or maybe a less experienced bike rider would've been dead for sure. Cheers.
    This type of Thruxton?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Triumph-Thruxton.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	84598

Quote Originally Posted by 205tim View Post
    I'm a pretty keen cyclist (shall never been seen wearing a gimp suit though, uhh... sorry lycra) and completely agree with all of this.

That road is completely inappropriate to ride a push bike on, unless it is closed to traffic for an event. I doubt anyone riding there is commuting..... and if you are riding for recreation then surely riding a bike path or going mountain biking would be a better option, less cars too, or even ride around the city where there are bike lanes.
    I am also a pretty keen cyclist, and totally disagree... Thats a cracking road to ride on. Bike paths are too slow, and lycra is very comfortable especially for the 100km+ rides. I genuinely don't give a **** what it looks like.

The only thing that's dangerous about that road is thoughtless careless cockheads in cars...

A few years back i used to haul bush rock down from Upper Beachmont in a tipper and quad dog, do 2-3 trips a day.
    Nearly every trip i came across dopey tourists cutting the corners, and they were driving slow but could not handle it.
    Got some motor bike riders whose bravado was way ahead of their ability and they nearly were mince meat under the truck,but most knew how to ride and kept left on corners.
    But when you got push bikes on corners,some of them were near mince meat as well,i would never ride one on that road,too narrow
    and bad sight lines and actually had a couple of them going too hard coming down that had to go right across to the opposite side to miss me,too close for comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by denxm View Post
    A few years back i used to haul bush rock down from Upper Beachmont in a tipper and quad dog, do 2-3 trips a day.
    Nearly every trip i came across dopey tourists cutting the corners, and they were driving slow but could not handle it.
    Got some motor bike riders whose bravado was way ahead of their ability and they nearly were mince meat under the truck,but most knew how to ride and kept left on corners.
    But when you got push bikes on corners,some of them were near mince meat as well,i would never ride one on that road,too narrow
    and bad sight lines and actually had a couple of them going too hard coming down that had to go right across to the opposite side to miss me,too close for comfort.

So it seems that "thoughtless careless cockheads in cars" are not the only danger on this road.

Jo
    shanadoo and addo like this.

Fellow Frogger!

It takes common sense from all I have never had a moment on any of the Hinterlands roads that has not been self induced. Cycling in suburbia is by far more dangerous but it has to be transversed to get to the nice roads.
    Is the Pug easier on tyres than the Nissan I have found the million round about,s hard on the front left tyre.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Armidillo View Post
    This type of Thruxton?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Triumph-Thruxton.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	84598

Same style, four months old when he pranged. Bike was never any good after that, suffered badly from that tank slapper syndrome the British bike makers mistakenly call 'Handling'.

1000+ Posts

As long as he's OK - although shame about the bike. I had a similar experience on a bike (a long time ago), but I was a pretty raw beginner, and it was me that was cutting the corner. Flicked back to my side of the road, and kept going over the edge. Some damage to bike but not much to me.

I've decided I prefer going up-hill (assuming I have enough power to make it fun) - gravity and engine braking means I can leave the brake alone, and concentrate on smooth lines, and steering with the throttle.

Cheers

Alec

Isn't this the chap who also had a lot of grief with his ute?

Quote Originally Posted by Armidillo View Post
    I've decided I prefer going up-hill (assuming I have enough power to make it fun) - gravity and engine braking means I can leave the brake alone, and concentrate on smooth lines, and steering with the throttle.

Cheers

Alec
    Thats exactly my philosophy to driving the mountain roads.
    If I can stay off the brakes and drive smooth lines down hillI feel a sense of victory, before blasting up the hill shredding rubber and scaring wild animals and cyclist.

I've now fully retired from those types of activities and the car has been crushed….. and just at the right time it seems.
    Read in the local paper that the police are now finaly cracking down on the area I called "my race track" (maccars creak road), and are regularly patrolling it with the HWP cars. Even had an mobile RTA station giving out defects too!!
    Love the fact that I carried on like a hoon for decades, got away with it without incident and stopped just before the heat was applied.

Jo

I forgot to buy you a pipe and slippers for your birthday!

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    .....snip......
    Read in the local paper that the police are now finaly cracking down on the area I called "my race track" (maccars creak road), and are regularly patrolling it with the HWP cars. Even had an mobile RTA station giving out defects too!!
    Love the fact that I carried on like a hoon for decades, got away with it without incident and stopped just before the heat was applied.

Jo
    Yeah - hoons on pushbikes were targeted down there a few years ago by the local vigilantes...

No Cookies | Daily Telegraph

Cheers

Justin
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '10 308 Sportium Touring
    '12 Megane RS265 8:08

Quote Originally Posted by N5GTi6 View Post
    Yeah - hoons on pushbikes were targeted down there a few years ago by the local vigilantes...

No Cookies | Daily Telegraph

Cheers

Justin
    Wasn't me!!!

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    I forgot to buy you a pipe and slippers for your birthday!
    Given that up too!!

Jo

Your presents just got cheaper!

See you at Hillsong next Sunday?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information