PUG 74 504 Clutch Problem
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Icon9 PUG 74 504 Clutch Problem

Have a problem with engaging of the clutch on my 74 504.

This car has been pretty good to me over the last few years with very few problems occuring and it has actually only done 90K with 30 of those put on by me.

Advertisement

One problem I have had is fluid loss which turned out to be a leaky slave cylinder. I recently had the slave replaced and after this replacement the clutch wasn't engaging until my foot almost left the pedal (right at the very top of the arc). This was accompanied by a burning smell - not a good sign.

So, the clutch needed replacing as well - this has been done. My problem is that the clutch still doesn't engage until my foot is right off the pedal. No burning smell anymore (I think) but it's very difficult to get the car moving from rest on an uphill without overrevving the engine which is going to shorten the lifespan of my new clutch I'm sure.

What could be causing this? How can I fix it? Help!

John.
    Last edited by LoveMyPug; 5th April 2004 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveMyPug
    Have a problem with engaging of the clutch on my 74 504.

This car has been pretty good to me over the last few years with very few problems occuring and it has actually only done 90K with 30 of those put on by me.

One problem I have had is fluid loss which turned out to be a leaky slave cylinder. I recently had the slave replaced and after this replacement the clutch wasn't engaging until my foot almost left the pedal (right at the very top of the arc). This was accompanied by a burning smell - not a good sign.

So, the clutch needed replacing as well - this has been done. My problem is that the clutch still doesn't engage until my foot is right off the pedal. No burning smell anymore (I think) but it's very difficult to get the car moving from rest on an uphill without overrevving the engine which is going to shorten the lifespan of my new clutch I'm sure.

What could be causing this? How can I fix it? Help!

John.
    Could the clutch system need to be bled?

Or could there be oil leaking onto the clutch?

Clutch master has seen better days?

Clutch release bearing/throwout bearing? Was it replaced when you got the new clutch?

shobbz
    Previous
    2005 407 ST Exec
    1975 504 GL

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Shobbz
    Could the clutch system need to be bled?

Or could there be oil leaking onto the clutch?

Clutch master has seen better days?

Clutch release bearing/throwout bearing? Was it replaced when you got the new clutch?

shobbz
    Thanks for the suggestions - sorry, shoud have listed more info.
    Clutch system has been bled.
    No oil leaking onto the clutch.
    Clutch master is fairly new and should be OK.
    Will check the clutch release bearing/throwout bearing - could that have the effect of causing the clutch not to engage until right at the top?
    Anything else I should check?

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by LoveMyPug
    Thanks for the suggestions - sorry, shoud have listed more info.
    Clutch system has been bled.
    No oil leaking onto the clutch.
    Clutch master is fairly new and should be OK.
    Will check the clutch release bearing/throwout bearing - could that have the effect of causing the clutch not to engage until right at the top?
    Anything else I should check?

Check that the throw out fork is sitting on the ball properly. Give the end of the fork a tap with a hammer (towards the bell housing).

Graham Wallis

Tadpole

Default Problem has been fixed

Flywheel and throwout bearing have been replaced. This appears to have fixed the issue.

Seems odd to need a flywheel after only 90k (or a clutch for that matter though the sheer age could have a bearing on that). Must have been slipping really badly to wear the flywheel to that extent.
    Bruce

Currently owned:
    1988 505 GTi S2 Familial
    1999 E46 BMW 328Ci, 2002 Falcon AUIII Ute
    Previously owned:
    ('78-'81) 1970 504 (with the beautiful French seats)
    ('81-'89) 1977 504 (took the family on postings to Sydney, Melbourne, Perth and Canberra)
    Brother owned:
    203,403,404,504 (each when they were current vehicles)

If you smell burning when you press the pedal it will be the master cylinder leak or the line connection either from the reservoir or slave cylinder.

Thread Information