205 update
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: 205 update

Default 205 update

Thought I might give a little update, even if just for the record on my little 205 build.
    Picked up from Graham as a mostly solid, though tired 1.9 auto.
    So brakes, suspension and paint I am 're doing here at home, and will be shipping my gti6 engine up to Bluey

Billie B6's and eibachs
    Poly bushes throughout, solid rear beam mounts, New bearings everywhere
    LSD
    406 V6 4pots up front and s3 disks in the rear.
    Some sparco seats
    2pack clear over base original Peugeot cherry red full respray, will have racing strips in black also.
    Maxi narrow arches and plastic side trim done away with.

Advertisement

These are the focuses for now aiming toward a hillclimb, track inspired road legal car.

Most parts are ready to go on now, I just finished paint in our greenhouse (read: spraybooth)

This is a heavy learning exercise for me, and I'm having a ball so far

Anyway, here's some snaps -
    205 update-uploadfromtaptalk1461623132509.jpg205 update-uploadfromtaptalk1461623189291.jpg205 update-uploadfromtaptalk1461623229870.jpg205 update-uploadfromtaptalk1461623298618.jpg205 update-uploadfromtaptalk1461623315167.jpg205 update-uploadfromtaptalk1461623333632.jpg205 update-uploadfromtaptalk1461623414316.jpg205 update-uploadfromtaptalk1461623527812.jpg205 update-uploadfromtaptalk1461623605275.jpg205 update-uploadfromtaptalk1461623660845.jpg205 update-uploadfromtaptalk1461623704079.jpg205 update-uploadfromtaptalk1461623770691.jpg205 update-uploadfromtaptalk1461623853163.jpg

Nice work. Looking forward to the progress.

Just a heads up. I believe the brembos with foul most 15in rims without spacers. Spacers will affect the handling a touch. Maybe something to consider. (Unless brackets can be made?)

Love thats your having a crack! Looks a million bucks already! Good luck!

Cam

Cheers mate, less daunting with cars like your own to aspire to.

I have considered the difficulty with the brembos, fittment, weight and peddle feel, and have a set of my old 306s should it not work out for me. However the XSI 306 wheels fit over, pity only a mother would love em.

I will be chasing down some OZ Leggendas at some point though and that may make the decision for me....

VIP Sponsor

Great to see Cal, I was wondering how it was going. Previous owners and AFers Doug and Jeff will also be pleased no doubt. This car was well worth spending time on.
    I have a set of Rallye arches if you are interested.

Funny that the engine destined for Doug's car is going up to Huw to build. Meanwhile, Huw is building my GTi6 engine which I purchased from Doug and which I understood Doug had originally intended be fitted to this car!
    Codman likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Don't you need special gear to paint 2pac? I have been repairing small dents so I can paint eventually too and read that 2pack is easier to paint but requires special breathing gear and fans etc to ventilate well.

Good workshop, room to move and a hoist!

Yep, very lucky with the workshop, credit to anyone who undertakes big work without these luxurys

Had I known a week ago Graham I would have snapped them up but I have a set on the way already.

I'm glad it's getting the life it was destined for, I'm going to Europe for a couple of months at the end of June, so hopeing to have everything I can do with out the engine done and ready for the lump when i get back.

Quote Originally Posted by Warus View Post
    Don't you need special gear to paint 2pac? I have been repairing small dents so I can paint eventually too and read that 2pack is easier to paint but requires special breathing gear and fans etc to ventilate well.
    Yes it is quite nasty, we have full over face ventilators and rigged up a pressure system for the green house in order to A) get rid of fumes and B) minimize dust.
    Problem for us is that we have a dirt road and a very old workshop so dust and dirt is hard to contain, I'm stoked on or result though

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    Great to see Cal, I was wondering how it was going. Previous owners and AFers Doug and Jeff will also be pleased no doubt. This car was well worth spending time on.
    I have a set of Rallye arches if you are interested.
    The old girls looking great Good to see it getting more manlove!

As it was when I owned it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 205 update-205gti.jpg  
    Track car-Steel Grey 405 Mi16 172hp atw

405 Track car build thread moved to-
    http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index...ic=143279&st=0

Lap times-
    Sandown 1 28.6
    Phillip Island 1 53.8

Previous Frenchies-
    1988 205Gti
    1998 306 GTi6
    1997 306 N5 sedan
    1996 306 N3 XT hatch
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Avocado
    1976 Renault R16TS manual in Trak Yellow
    1975 Renault 5 Guernsey, Channel Islands
    1972 Renault 4 Guernsey, Channel Islands

Quote Originally Posted by pgti6 View Post
    The old girls looking great Good to see it getting more manlove!

As it was when I owned it.
    Oh wow! That's awesome, if you have anything else please let me know, I'd love to 're compile a bit of background as I'm documenting this revamp.
    I hope that was some time ago as it had certainly suffered since.

I must say though I am amazed at its condition underneath the cosmetics, knowing very little about it's history only what I could track though AF posts as it seems everything bar the car and it's key where lost.

Besides the bad acid trip under the dash which I presume was a result of the DKZ swap (prepare the multimeter), there's been no surprises.

Fellow Frogger!

Oh, was this an ex-Japan GTi Auto?

http://205gti.info/vin is your friend... sorry couldn't help myself.

BTW, major props on the work so far. The world needs more shiny Cherry Red GTi's :-)

griffo

I think Doug converted it to Auto here, and put a DKZ instead of DFZ in the car at the same time.

I brought it from the original owners son who was selling it on behalf of his father, then too old to drive. Had done a genuine 87,000kms.
    Auto Paris replaced the headgasket, valve stem seals & re-shimmed the valve clearances.
    I fitted white blinkers & white side repeater lights, 15" Speedlines & disc brake rear end. Owned it for about 3 years but couldn't justify having 3 cars at the time (205, Gti6 & Mi16). Was deffo a manual from the factory.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 205 update-205gti2.jpg   205 update-205gti3.jpg  
    Codman likes this.

Lap times-
    Sandown 1 28.6
    Phillip Island 1 53.8

Previous Frenchies-
    1988 205Gti
    1998 306 GTi6
    1997 306 N5 sedan
    1996 306 N3 XT hatch

Fellow Frogger!

Yeah the 'white' side repeater lights had me fooled :-)

I see from the pix that it was based on a Phase 1 (S1) car... sorry no VIN data for those babies :-(

I brought it from the original owners son who was selling it on behalf of his father, then too old to drive. Had done a genuine 87,000kms.
    Auto Paris replaced the headgasket, valve stem seals & re-shimmed the valve clearances.
    I fitted white blinkers & white side repeater lights, 15" Speedlines & disc brake rear end. Owned it for about 3 years but couldn't justify having 3 cars at the time (205, Gti6 & Mi16). Was deffo a manual from the factory.
    Rad!

What year did you sell it on? It really does look gorgeous in the photos you have.

I managed to find Doug's thread on the auto and DKZ conversion and actually drove it for a while as it was, but it wasn't the greatest TBH, though it downshifted like a madman....

This was all part of the reason I bought this particular car, it was a P1 but with a late beam rear disks, non sunroof, red and non original (to ease my guilt)

I sold it around 2000. Can't be 100% sure though, so give or take a year either side.
    I took it out to Calder for its one and only track day with the Alfa Club. One of the rear brakes caught fire and I drove it back to Box Hill with almost zero braking hence why the disc brake rear set up was then fitted. I imported the longer disc brake stub axles from the UK, got the discs & hubs from a 306 and made up the brake lines to suit.
    Kinda regret having sold it but good to hear that it might again see the track in anger.

Lap times-
    Sandown 1 28.6
    Phillip Island 1 53.8

Previous Frenchies-
    1988 205Gti
    1998 306 GTi6
    1997 306 N5 sedan
    1996 306 N3 XT hatch

VIP Sponsor

Cal returned the engine and box to me, box is sitting in the boot of an Mi16 I'm about to dispose of, it wasn't the best although never gave any trouble.
    Engine went to a guy in Kyneton to fit into a 205 Si.

VIP Sponsor

You need to include this car in your list of previous frenchies!

I sold it around 2000. Can't be 100% sure though, so give or take a year either side.
    I took it out to Calder for its one and only track day with the Alfa Club. One of the rear brakes caught fire and I drove it back to Box Hill with almost zero braking hence why the disc brake rear set up was then fitted. I imported the longer disc brake stub axles from the UK, got the discs & hubs from a 306 and made up the brake lines to suit.
    Kinda regret having sold it but good to hear that it might again see the track in anger.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    You need to include this car in your list of previous frenchies!
    Done! Thanks Graham. It was the most engaging car I've ever owned. Sunday nights and a blast up through the Dandenongs always put a smile on my face.
    Codman likes this.

Lap times-
    Sandown 1 28.6
    Phillip Island 1 53.8

Previous Frenchies-
    1988 205Gti
    1998 306 GTi6
    1997 306 N5 sedan
    1996 306 N3 XT hatch

Awesome awesome

The engine left today destined for Huw, I will be sure to upsldate here every now and then.

Cheers fellas

So, far between but a bit more happening and its all coming up Millhouse!

So short version, up in Sydney Huw has been killing it, the J4rs is all back together, just in inlet and ITBs to go and instead of starting from scratch, a GTI MI love child box was sourced, rebuilt and received a 3J plate diff.

So whilst that's all happening, I have been finishing off the body and paint, given my set up and time constraints I'm pleased how well it's turned up, a few little bits to work on but looks great!
    Given how the car was progressing into more and more of a weapon and how much I have put into it I decided to go the little bit further (not sure at what point a "little bit further" ends &#128531 and took it down to Brown Davis where she received a 6 point cage with a couple extra bars, and a real seat mount, not the factory tin foil!
    I had them tag along the roof lines in order to support the B pillar roof join that is susceptible to cracking apart, they have done a brilliant job.
    The suspension is all finished now, rear beam rebuilt and mounted on bbm solid mounts, the front end is all poly bushes, solid adjustable topmounts, it will come off when the engine comes down but is ready to go.

Over the next few weeks I will ripping everything I can out, it's still to be road registered, but it will be bare basics, I have a heated screen coming so the huge center heating control can be done away with, stereo and wiring going, interior lights and so forth.

I'm going to trim and Finnish the carpets to fit the front, but the factory deadener is gone, might investigate some lightweight aftermarket stuff to go back in.

After that it's reassembly! Bumpers, flares and glass, then the black racing strip for the extra killer wasps.

Iv typed this out on my phone, but if you want any specifics or other pics I'd be stoked to throw them up.

Here's a few flicks anyway!

Fantastic

Nice Fezza

Brilliant project, well done.
    I am a bit worried for you about getting the RWC with the cage in it though. At worst you might have to temporarily move the front sections out for the review, register it as a 2 seater only and then put the front parts back in afterwards.

That plastic bubble you are painting in, is that a greenhouse structure? I am thinking of spraying a car in my shed and wondered how to make a container like this to control the overspray and other mess. ideas welcome.
    S3 205 GTI x 4
    2013 Fiesta ST
    MK6 GTI Edition 35

Previous: 1988 205 GTI Mi16 Turbo, Mk1Golf, MkV GTI , RCS 172 x2 , 306 S16, VW Bora V6 4motion

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information