206 GTI 180 Upshift knock?
  • Register
  • Help
    Zen

Default 206 GTI 180 Upshift knock?

Hey all,

Maybe I'm too used to my S16 clutch but I'm getting a knock sound in the GTi 180 when I shift gears quickly above 4,000rpm (knock gets more disturbing the higher the revs/quicker the gear change). I don't know if it's a gearbox or engine mount that's loose or if I'm stepping off the clutch too quickly 'cos the friction point is sooo much higher than the S16. Anyone else finding this? It's going in for the 1,500km checkup this week and want to raise it with them. Thanks in advance.

Rich

Advertisement

codito ergo sum == code monkey

'04 206 GTi 180
    '95 306 S16

A even higher friction point in the GTi180...no no no....I thought the GTi-6/S16 has an already high enough friction point compared to my 205 GTi.

I love the clutch set up on me 205.

Oh, sorry back on topic, I feel the same 'knock' when I first drove my '6 especially from 1st to 2nd. But it got better when I gotten use to the high friction point clutch. Maybe, some of the gearbox mounts or engine mounts can be tighten a little more???

Cheers
    Billy
    Stock '87 205 GTi
    Stock '98 306 GTi-6

-Memories are good only if you don't have to deal with the past.-

Quote Originally Posted by Zen
    Hey all,

Maybe I'm too used to my S16 clutch but I'm getting a knock sound in the GTi 180 when I shift gears quickly above 4,000rpm (knock gets more disturbing the higher the revs/quicker the gear change). I don't know if it's a gearbox or engine mount that's loose or if I'm stepping off the clutch too quickly 'cos the friction point is sooo much higher than the S16. Anyone else finding this? It's going in for the 1,500km checkup this week and want to raise it with them. Thanks in advance.

Rich
    How did you go with this? I've got the same sort of problem/situation. I'm going to raise it with the dealer when I speak with him again, but it would be good to have an idea of what to expect in advance.

Thanks
    Nick

Hrm,little more specific?.Knock sound in what sense?.Detonation?.Something shaking?.

If you mean a clunk when engaging the next gear on a upshift,i think thats normal for full power shifts in a 180,mine does it anyway,but only when really pushed (6500 rpm+).If thats what your talking about you should definately know what it is,you feel like the clutch is only half engaged and your stripping a gear.The shift isnt any slower,it just feels kinda like your doing a clutchless shift as it clunks into the next gear at the end of the throw,not smoothly slides into the next gear like normal.Scared the shit out of me the first few times it happened.Used to it now,just seems like a syncro issue,mine really dislikes a quick 1-2 upshift with the speedo about to hit 70,its quite happy with a 2-1 downshift with the speedo showing 40 tho . Altho i was told its not actually doing any damage,if im redlining it i usually go a bit slower on the 1-2 2-3 change,its only really if i JAM it into the next gear as fast as possible that i get the clunk :/.
    Last edited by Mandible; 1st August 2004 at 05:25 AM.

Zen

Sorry guys,

The knock was just getting off the clutch too quick and have adjusted my gear shifts to correct.

I will bring up the issue Mandible mentioned though at the next service. I'm getting the sound of stripping gears when I go first to second anything above 4,500rpm which is something definitely wrong. I've got the clutch flat to the floor, pull second gear (with the clutch still flat to the floor) and I still get crunching. The only way I've found around it is, a). don't do it; or b). hold the clutch in and wait for the revs to drop under 4,500rpm before shifting the gearknob to second. On the downshifts it seems fine, I don't blip the throttle that hard so maybe I'm not above 4,500rpm when I engage second gear. It doesn't matter if the engine speed is higher than 4,500rpm when second is engaged, the problem is before that while the revs are high and I'm selecting second. The rest of the gears are fine. Seems synchro related but would the problem be across the gears if so? Any ideas there?

Rich

'04 206 GTi 180
    '95 306 S16

Quote Originally Posted by Zen
    Sorry guys,

The knock was just getting off the clutch too quick and have adjusted my gear shifts to correct.

I will bring up the issue Mandible mentioned though at the next service. I'm getting the sound of stripping gears when I go first to second anything above 4,500rpm
    I think this is just a "characteristic" of the gearbox, people. Maybe it's the lever action of the changer. My 138 would occasionally do this when I was changing 1-2 at redline very quickly, although my main complaint with it was when downshifting into 3rd quickly, and the 180 is quite similar, but nowhere near as pronounced.

Much as we'd all love lightning fast gear changes, sometimes this little box can't handle it. You just have to "train" yourself to pause for that extra nanosecond, or develop your throttle blipping/heel-toe skills
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Zen

I agree with what's been said in regards to the characteristics of the gearbox however I think if it's happening at 4,500rpm and above I think that's a problem. If I'm close to redlining first I have to wait a good second and a half before I can even engage second gear let alone start getting off the clutch. As a test I tried double clutching, still happens; even coasting at 50km/h and giving the throttle a big blip to get the revs over 4,500rpm and it'll still crunch. That just isn't right.

Rich

'04 206 GTi 180
    '95 306 S16

Quote Originally Posted by Mandible
    Hrm,little more specific?.Knock sound in what sense?.Detonation?.Something shaking?.

If you mean a clunk when engaging the next gear on a upshift,i think thats normal for full power shifts in a 180,mine does it anyway,but only when really pushed (6500 rpm+).If thats what your talking about you should definately know what it is,you feel like the clutch is only half engaged and your stripping a gear.The shift isnt any slower,it just feels kinda like your doing a clutchless shift as it clunks into the next gear at the end of the throw,not smoothly slides into the next gear like normal.Scared the shit out of me the first few times it happened.Used to it now,just seems like a syncro issue,mine really dislikes a quick 1-2 upshift with the speedo about to hit 70,its quite happy with a 2-1 downshift with the speedo showing 40 tho . Altho i was told its not actually doing any damage,if im redlining it i usually go a bit slower on the 1-2 2-3 change,its only really if i JAM it into the next gear as fast as possible that i get the clunk :/.
    That's the clunk that I meant! It's pretty standard for me when changing at high revs. I've managed to "calibrate" my gear changing technique since I first got the car so I hardly ever get the clunk anymore. It only happens when I get excited or the blood rushes to my head, or something like that these days.

I spoke with the dealer about it ane he told me that it's most likely the diff. He went on to say that it's probably not doing any damage to the car but to try to minimise doing it. Go figure!

Thanks
    Nick

Fellow Frogger!

I only had it once at high revs between 1st and 2nd.

I just accomodate for it now.

Thought I had it a pot hole.

Hey Zen,
    Sounds like you need a dog box. Give XTRAC a ring.
    I get the same thing in my Clio. There is a thud as you let the clutch out, does this sound right? I'm not 100% sure but it's probably just the shock load from the engine going through the transmission to the wheels. If the tyres chirp when letting the clutch out for 1st-2nd you won't hear the thud, (need poor tyres to do this though).

The gearbox has constant mesh gears so don't worry about stripping teeth. That can only happen if either the input or output shafts comes out of the bearing cones in the end casing, (which will only happen if you split the casing true and proper), or one of the the bearings disintegrates, which if your gearbox has oil in it won't happen.
    I would only be worried about the synchros. From your discription it sounds like the synchros are very worn and not grabbing properly and not lining up the dogs as a result. If you're clutchless shifting, don't expect the box to last a month without needing to be rebuilt (synchros).
    All this in a car with less than 1500km sounds crook.

With letting the clutch quick out on snap changes the most damage you'll do to the box is break the spider gears in the diff or, less likely snap a shaft but I wouldn't worry about this in a car with this amount of power/torque and this age plus you've got a warranty.

Zen

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey
    Hey Zen,
    Sounds like you need a dog box. Give XTRAC a ring.
    I get the same thing in my Clio. There is a thud as you let the clutch out, does this sound right? I'm not 100% sure but it's probably just the shock load from the engine going through the transmission to the wheels. If the tyres chirp when letting the clutch out for 1st-2nd you won't hear the thud, (need poor tyres to do this though).
    Yah, it's a characteristic of the 206 gearbox so I'm told so I've gotten used to high friction point of the clutch pedal. Got that sorted within the first two weeks of owning the car and all is good with that now.

The gearbox has constant mesh gears so don't worry about stripping teeth. That can only happen if either the input or output shafts comes out of the bearing cones in the end casing, (which will only happen if you split the casing true and proper), or one of the the bearings disintegrates, which if your gearbox has oil in it won't happen.
    I would only be worried about the synchros. From your discription it sounds like the synchros are very worn and not grabbing properly and not lining up the dogs as a result. If you're clutchless shifting, don't expect the box to last a month without needing to be rebuilt (synchros).
    All this in a car with less than 1500km sounds crook.
    Yah, sounds like the synchros are having a hard time in second when I'm shifting whilst the revs are over 4,500rpm (which I think is sh*t). I've done over 12,000km in it now, at first I thought it would go away with a bit more running but that's not the case. I never clutchless shift and still can't believe it doesn't even want to go into second with the clutch in as much as possible without crunching.

With letting the clutch quick out on snap changes the most damage you'll do to the box is break the spider gears in the diff or, less likely snap a shaft but I wouldn't worry about this in a car with this amount of power/torque and this age plus you've got a warranty.
    I'm not getting the thud anymore so that's not likely break, I'm more pissed off with the synchros. It's not like I drive the car hard all the time, on the few occasions that I have had to get the jump on traffic it seems to spit the dummy.

Rich

'04 206 GTi 180
    '95 306 S16

Icon12

Yowser,i dont like the fact mine does it either,but if its doing it at 4500 no matter how slow you shift,i dont think its a mild inconvienience like mine,thats a major fault and id be talking to my dealer and asking whats going to be done about it.

Im not even sure if that could be described as the same problem,id be pushing for them to take the gearbox out and fix/replace it.Its not abuse to 1-2 shift higher than 4500 in any car,id be interested in hearing what the dealer has to say.I know i said i was told it didnt do any damage,but thats in a "does it once or twice a week accidently" sense,i could shift into second doing 65 without a problem if i just dont SHOVE it as fast as possible.If you drove your car what id consider normal for a 180 it would be doing it an insane amount and yeah, i would think doing it 30 or 40 times a day would damage the gearbox.Its a new car,you shouldnt have to drive it like a granny to avoid the problem.

If the dealers prepared to say its fine and not causing damage when they are driving it and seeing what its doing,id get it in writing that they admit its clunking on 1-2 shifts and they said its not a problem,then id 1-2 shift every single time above 6000 rpm .Youd find out one way or the other if its doing damage before the warranty runs out .If they tell you not to run first past 4500 then id tell em to get cracking fixing it because thats not an acceptable solution to the problem for any car,let alone a sportcars with a 7300 rev limit.
    Last edited by Mandible; 8th August 2004 at 09:40 PM.

Thread Information