ignition key problem?
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default ignition key problem?

I have a 405 SRI and when I turn the ignition key on to "accessory" the only thing that lights up is the battery light. When I turn the key to "start" everything goes out. Anyone got an idea where to start looking? I dont have a workshop manual or circuit diagram so it is hard to know what is what. Any recomendations as to a workshop manual?

Advertisement

First thing I'd be checking would be the battery terminals.

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    First thing I'd be checking would be the battery terminals.

Alan S
    Thanks Alan, I will give them a quick look but the electric windows and the wipers work fine so the battery is connected to the system.
    Gordon

You could be unlucky enough to have done an ignition switch but it is highly unlikely. I had a similar problem a couple of years ago which turned out to be the relay attached to the starter that was connected through the immobiliser, so that's something else worth checking out.
    I have seen dirty or loose battery terminals that would work accessories but will totally die when the draw of the starter motor hits it which is why my first options would still be the terminals, wiring or plugs in that region or battery.

Alan S

Tadpole

You could be unlucky enough to have done an ignition switch but it is highly unlikely. I had a similar problem a couple of years ago which turned out to be the relay attached to the starter that was connected through the immobiliser, so that's something else worth checking out.
    I have seen dirty or loose battery terminals that would work accessories but will totally die when the draw of the starter motor hits it which is why my first options would still be the terminals, wiring or plugs in that region or battery.

Alan S
    Thanks again Allan. It has to be something in or arround the ignition switch as the warning lights don't come on in the accessory position even though the wipers and windows work. Is there a relay or something that controls all the warning lights ect, anyone know? A circuit diagram would be a huge help!! I have heard that some cars have an imobiliser that can cause problems, how do I know if this one has?

From memory, you follow the small lead from the solenoid on the starter motor. On my BX the relay was 'floating around' just under the battery.

Alan S

From memory, you follow the small lead from the solenoid on the starter motor. On my BX the relay was 'floating around' just under the battery.

Alan S
    I had a similar problem, engine light would come on, when driving, run slugging sometimes, idle like crap, loose power.. then eventually wouldn't start, all accessories worked fine..

the cause, battery terminal was smaller than the battery clip so they wouldn't match perfectly, fixed that and no more problems....
    ===============
    1991 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1994 Toyota Camry CSI
    2002 Honda CBR600F4i
    1989 Honda CD250U
    www.mad-biker.com
    ===============

Tadpole

I think I have isolated the problem in the ignition key BUT how do you get it out. I see there is two plungers that stick throu the casing, I assumed if I put the key in and turn it on it would allow me to press the plungers in and remove the key assembly but this doesnt seem to work any trick to this?

The last one I pulled out (on a Cit BX) had a metal ring that held the electrical part of the switch to the mechanical bit. The problem was that it was a little plastic part in the electrical section that broke and I couldn't buy either just the part or the back (electrical) section. I also found that to even buy a secondhand switch was mega bucks and the correct one of those was also unavailable so I made one up out of two. On the Cit, the switch brand was a "Simplex" which gives the impression that possibly more than PSA vehicles use them. I think you'll find to do it properly, the entire switch will have to come out.
    Sometimes some contact grease after cleaning will rectify a dodgy connection issue so from a cost point of view try that option out first.

Alan S

Thread Information