406 ST Cam Belts
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

406 ST Cam Belts

Am driving a 406 ST with 80000ks on the clock. Has anyone out there had any experience changing the cam belt? I have done the job on a 505 several times and it was quite straight forward, bur reading the Haynes manual makes it sound a bit daunting. They reckon you must use an electronic tension measurer, however most mechanics deny this.
    Any ideas, experience or advise?

Advertisement

Graeme,

FWIW, I just did a posting this morning on this subject on an overseas board.
    Rather than grind through it all again, here's the URL to it which hopefully should answer most if not all of your queries.
    From what I can see overseas, it seems that these days with the World all trying to sue each other for a variety if insane reasons, Haynes now seem to either cover their backs or whatever ( moon ) due to having a couple having a bit of a go at them similar to the idiot who took on the motorbike maker because they didn't tell him in the handbook to put the bike on the stand when he parked it so when it fell over on him he blamed them for his obvious insanity.
    With Haynes & I suppose Citroen & the belt manufacturers to an extent as well as repairers, they are all covering their backs in case they get a belt failure in which case it would be so involved trying to apportion blame, everybody would give up & go home...was it the belt? It shouldn't have been because it was nearly new...was it the tensioner? It shouldn't be because it's been tested to be accurate. Was it the design? ...shouldn't be because thousands haven't failed.....was it the installer? he used the tensioner.....was it the tensioner manufacturers faukt?....shouldn't be because he built it to the car & belt makers specs & so it would go on.
    In reality, it's no big deal and is an easy Saturday arvo job.

<a href="http://www.andyspares.com/discussionforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3135" target="_blank">http://www.andyspares.com/discussionforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3135</a>

Alan S cheers!
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Hi Graeme. Welcome to AussieFrogs! Nice to see another 406 ST owner out there!

There aren't many 406 owners on the list yet (and I'm afraid I haven't tried a cam belt replacement on mine), but variants of the XU10 (assuming we are talking about one of the earlier D8 406's) were also fitted to some 306's and 405's, as well as some Citroen Xaras, Xantias, ZX's and XMs.

With a bit of luck the owners of one of them will know (I'm interested myself - although mine isn't due for another one for a while) . It might be worth posting a "cross reference" in the Citroen list too.

Cheers

Rod
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

Thanks for the post and the link Alan. (Our posts "crossed"" in the mail)

How about together a copy for use in the "archive" / Common faults area?

Cheers

Rod

<small>[ 02 June 2003, 04:40 PM: Message edited by: Rod Hagen ]</small>
    Rod's Home Page

Rod's car page

Peugeot 4008 2016Peugeot 407 SV HDi estate 2008, Peugeot 407 SV Hdi Sedan 2006, (deadish), - Previously 403s, 404, 504, 505 sLI Wagons, 406 ST 1997, 307 XSE, 306 XSi, Renault 12, Citroen DSpecial

G'day,the job is not for the faint hearted.It's almost impossible without a hoist,three to four hours of your time and plenty of mechanical confidence.A normal cost for labour is $250 to $300 it is quite difficult as you have four cams to time dead right. peugeot_

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    Chuck:
    G'day,the job is not for the faint hearted.It's almost impossible without a hoist,three to four hours of your time and plenty of mechanical confidence.A normal cost for labour is $250 to $300 it is quite difficult as you have four cams to time dead right. peugeot_
    ST - 4 cams ?????
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Thread Information