205gti what is my best option
  • Register
  • Help

Icon5 205gti what is my best option

i have a 1987 205gti done lots of km 308,000ish. i want to make it a bit more fun or sell it and buy another on that has already been played with. was wondering what the experts have to say. the car is in exelent condition appart from the gearbox clutch and c-v joints but it still drives well. as i see it the options are:

Advertisement

-get a series two engine or front-cut
    -get a mi16 engine or front-cut
    -buy a new car that is either a series two or has had the mi16 conversion

these three things will be in 6 months to a year but i want to find out what to do now, because then i might be able to start buying things that would go with the new engine, lik a 2.5" exhaust for example.

With 300000 km's you will have to give the car away so modifying it, you will be tearing up money. So your call.
    Don't pay a premium for a car that's already been modified. Do it yourself. Don't bother with an Mi16 conversion. Your engine is good for 107 or 120 kw if you believe all you hear. That's what I got out of my 200000 km series one. Don't do stupid things like buy some 2.5" exhaust.
    What is a front cut?
    I think the Seriesone Gti is about the only car around to benefit from a K&N 57i kit, but only once you have modified the internals, and the cam.

a front-cut is a car that has been cut off behind the fire wall and you get the whole of the front part of the car. i had a contact in sydey that could get them for me from japan with low kms. not sure if he is still in the game though, he was an old guy.

what kind of $$$ am i looking at to do engin mods and is it worth doing on a motor that has gone as far as mine??????????? what kind of mods are these? where can i go in melbourne to find out more and possibly start work.

is there anyone in melbourne that has done these kind of mods to there car that i could come and see???

why, given that my car has gone so far would i not get an mi16 motor??

why, given that my car has gone so far would i not get an mi16 motor??

i think what warwick is trying to say is about the resale value, or lack there of with a car thats done that many kilomretres, and that its a waste of money if your not gonn keep the car for good. its like the people that spend $10000 on a $2000 hyundai excel if you know what i meen

Thread Information