Advice for purchasing a 205 GTI
  • Register
  • Help

Icon5 Advice for purchasing a 205 GTI

Hey Guys ,
    I'm looking to buy a 205 GTI. I would like one with a sunroof and A/C but there seem to be few of them (in Victoria anyway).
    There is a charcol GTI with sunroof that I'm going to look at in Vermont south, it seems to be in good condition in the photos.
    The only problem is that the guy selling it said that the airconditioning has been removed, it was missing when he bought it a few years ago.
    Would installing an A/C unit be an expensive and dificult process or would I be better just to wait for one with A/C installed?
    Has anyone here checked this particular GTI out? If so, is it any good?
    Sorry for crapping on so much!
    Cheers
    Jamin

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Advice for purchasing a 205 GTI-205ver.jpg  

that bloke has been trying to sell that car for at least 1.5 years now, id be careful

Why is it re-registered?
    Why no air-con?
    The go faster plastic strips are all aged indicating that the parts on the left at least are not all new(though the front bar looks to have had perhaps some paint a while ago).
    Don't not-consider it cos of what we say. It may be great. Just get someone who knows have a look. Like Alpine Affaire out Ringwood way. Or Robert at Citroen Brighton. Not the RACV. How much is it by the way? And how old? Looks about 88.
    You wanna start it cold. etc. Good luck.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

how can you tell if it's been re-registered ?

it may have had personal plates on it and he has put them on to another car ?

i'd say have a look at it, get it checked out and offer a price

he can only say no and you have lost nothing
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Yeah im quite sure it used to be registered as "MADPUG"

jamin, could you please give me the details of the person i can get in contact with for the car.

Is it still advertised?

How much?

here u go mate,

its an 87 205, 260000Kms hes asking 5800

Lincoln @ 0409 292 633

the details are on carsales

Icon6

Thanks for the replies fellas.
    It's been broken into an airflow meter that he had attached to the dash was ripped off, so there's a big hole in the dash.
    The stereo that comes with it (Sony Xplode) is extra, so it could turn out pretty expensive for an 87 s1, with no a/c.
    It also has a reflective panel on the back that says Peugeot 205 instead of 205 gti, would this be aftermarket?
    This car is on carsales as posted by rogue.
    I'll keep looking and post pics when I finally get one, hopefully in the next few weeks!
    I have learnt heaps from the info in this forum, thanks to all who posted.
    cheers
    Jamin

hey jamin did you take that 205gti for a drive?

How did it go?

Quote Originally Posted by jamin
    It also has a reflective panel on the back that says Peugeot 205 instead of 205 gti, would this be aftermarket?
    The earlier reflective panel on 205s are optional accessories..therefore they read "Peugeot 205" ....however the later S2 and S3s they are an standard items on the GTis ...hence they read "Peugeot 205GTi"

Hope it helps

Cheers
    Billy
    Stock '87 205 GTi
    Stock '98 306 GTi-6

-Memories are good only if you don't have to deal with the past.-

i know that particular car, it was called mad pug then he took the plates off a while ago, i have heard that it is a real lemon, so yeh be very carful he has tried to fix it but i know that it doesnt run very well
    http://www.peugeotperformance.net/gallery/205/garett205gti/garett205gti.html

Tadpole

G'day,

I test drove the car about 3months ago, not from cold, (he insisted on bringing it to me) and for around 10km's.

Its not the best car at all. From memory there are several nasty scratches on the doors, and bits of plastic falling off from the bumper and guards. The passenger door lock has been jimmied and destroyed. Its done near 260 000ks. He is a young bloke, around 21. On questioning about work done to the car he was very vague, saying seals etc had been done on the engine but could provide no reciepts. On further probing he tried to give the impression he knew little about cars and drove his very conservatively, ie from a to b, but later on let slip quite some knowledge on modifying cars.

It drove reasonabley well however. It was the first i'd driven and at the stage i hadn't done much homework. He was going to give it to me for $5500 with the stereo

There is a non-advertised 205gti, red for $8500 at Universe Motors, Swan st, richmond. They only work with pugs, and Paul, the owner has been good to me since i bought my one there.
    Hope this helps...
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by markw
    G'day,

I test drove the car about 3months ago, not from cold, (he insisted on bringing it to me) and for around 10km's.

Its not the best car at all. From memory there are several nasty scratches on the doors, and bits of plastic falling off from the bumper and guards. The passenger door lock has been jimmied and destroyed. Its done near 260 000ks. He is a young bloke, around 21. On questioning about work done to the car he was very vague, saying seals etc had been done on the engine but could provide no reciepts. On further probing he tried to give the impression he knew little about cars and drove his very conservatively, ie from a to b, but later on let slip quite some knowledge on modifying cars.

It drove reasonabley well however. It was the first i'd driven and at the stage i hadn't done much homework. He was going to give it to me for $5500 with the stereo

There is a non-advertised 205gti, red for $8500 at Universe Motors, Swan st, richmond. They only work with pugs, and Paul, the owner has been good to me since i bought my one there.
    Hope this helps...
    Mark

Thanks Mark, I might check it out, do you know what year?
    purrr-geot,I haven't driven it yet, was going to this weekend but I think I can get a cleaner one for the money.
    I wouldn't mind the updated interior, so i'd probably have to spend around 8K?
    Trying to sell my non-pug to get the funds!
    cheers
    Ben

thanks mark, i think you saved me some valuable time.

So what do you think is an appropriate price for a gti these days.
    Last year gti's weren't selling & it wasn't uncommon to see s1's go for 3k. Now it seems dodgy ones are going for 5k?
    I apprecite how good these cars are but i'm not going to pay more than 7k for a car made in 1987, which has 250,000k.

Tadpole

From memory the car in question was an '87. Think long and hard before buying this car. At the very least i'd recommend getting a pre-purchase appraisal from a qualified peugeot mechanic. I got one of these on a s1 that was advertised out of bendigo at Universe Motors, and was amazed at how thorough they were, (so much so that i bought a car from them a couple of months down the track).

Your question as to how much to pay - that's tough and i'm not all that experienced. I was looking since last november and ended up buying mine 4weeks ago.

In that time i saw that most S1 in melbourne were privately listed for between $5000 up to around $7500, (with the rarer s1 going for more in excellent nick).
    I only saw around half a dozen s2 for sale, between $6500 and $11000, (incidentially i paid 10k for my s2).

Then you start heading into s3 territory where the prices usually start around 9-10k upwards.

Hope this helps...

Mark

Thanks Mark.
    I haven't seen many S2 around at all, so I might have to go for a s1.
    The 80's interior I can live with!
    Cheers
    jamin

Thanks Mark.
    I haven't seen many S2 around at all, so I might have to go for a s1.
    The 80's interior I can live with!
    Cheers
    jamin
    you might take the s1 as a good thing, it won't be as fast top speed wise but the oversquare engine will give you better revs

Quote Originally Posted by orestes
    you might take the s1 as a good thing, it won't be as fast top speed wise but the oversquare engine will give you better revs
    Thanks Orestes,
    So was the difference between the s1 & s2 engines physical (different heads, fuel system, etc) or just gear ratios?

Cheers
    Jamin

VIP Sponsor

Thanks Orestes,
    So was the difference between the s1 & s2 engines physical (different heads, fuel system, etc) or just gear ratios?

Cheers
    Jamin

The series 1 had a 1.9 engine, so same stroke!

Graham Wallis

Is swan st Peugeot AKA richmond Peugeot? or are they two different places along swan st??

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    The series 1 had a 1.9 engine, so same stroke!

Graham Wallis
    i'm confused here graham didnt the s1 have a 1.6 with inejection. if i had my haynes manuali could tell you the exact difrences, but the 1.9 is undersquare where as the 1.6 is oversqaure producing better revs as things such as the pistons don't have to travel as far up and down

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by orestes
    i'm confused here graham didnt the s1 have a 1.6 with inejection. if i had my haynes manuali could tell you the exact difrences, but the 1.9 is undersquare where as the 1.6 is oversqaure producing better revs as things such as the pistons don't have to travel as far up and down

all GTi's sold in this country were 1.9

there were a couple of imported 1,6's

all SI 205's sold here were 1.6

hope that helps

it was only overseas where 1.6 GTi's were sold in any numbers
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    all GTi's sold in this country were 1.9

there were a couple of imported 1,6's

all SI 205's sold here were 1.6

hope that helps

it was only overseas where 1.6 GTi's were sold in any numbers
    thanks for clearing that one up rambo

S1s are a man's car aren't they luca....
    1) Power steering is only a concern if you want to be able to steer with one hand and carry your handbag in the other.
    2) The crappy dash is simply incentive to have a loud exhaust and turn the radio up to hide the rattles
    3) 14" wheels are cheaper to replace
    4) racing red interior eats the spew green for breakfast

All Aus delivered GTis are the 1.9s - undersquare engines (what is your damn obsession with buzzy little oversquare donks Orestes!)

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by nchandler
    S1s are a man's car aren't they luca....

4) racing red interior eats the spew green for breakfast
    I wouldn't know brow i've got an S2. Apart from that i love the alliteration used in the interior description. Very eloquent.

Thread Information