• 2 Post By Stuey
  • 1 Post By addo
  • 1 Post By jo proffi
  • 1 Post By Stuey

Thread: Cold starting 206 GTi

1000+ Posts

Default Cold starting 206 GTi

Hi froggers,

Embarrassingly, my 'new' 206 GTi (138) has a cold starting issue. It did show up on one pre-purchase test drive, but it's not too bad so I didn't worry about it, thinking it can't be anything too serious.

The car takes about 8-10 secs of cranking to start when it's cold. Otherwise, there's never an issue starting. It also runs fine once started with no roughness. There are no warning lights showing.

I'm looking for hints on what may be causing this before I go through the standard diagnostics you would for any car with these symptoms. And hoping it's not the dreaded leaky lifter issue!

There is a recent receipt for a new in tank fuel pump, advised by the previous owner to have been the result of smelling fuel.

Advertisement

I've done extensive internet reading, but surprisingly there isn't a stand out issue repeated - there are loads!

Tips?

Cheers

Stuey

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Icon6

G'day,
    is it like the 180, where you should wait until all the dash warning lights extinguish before starting? The 18E will drive like a pig if you don't wait for the lights to go out.
    There are lots [ and lots] of threads on this subject.
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

1000+ Posts

I read that, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. Thanks anyway.

It does seem to be fuel delivery, as if it takes a while for the rail pressure to build. Maybe it's the regulator. I'll have to study the cold start enrichment setup as well. I was hoping there might be a common fault described by the symptoms.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Hi Stuey, unlikely to be the problem, but at the last french tyre kicking day I was talking to one of the other froggers, who mentioned that it is really important with the modern pugs not to put your foot on the accelerator whilst starting, as it calibrates the TPS at this time, and doing so can throw off the ECU. So if you are giving it some throttle maybe try a foot off approach.

Tony.
    Aussie Steve likes this.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

1000+ Posts

Hi Tony.

I'm in that habit because the Mi16 BURSTS into life cold, so I avoid the accelerator. Due to the problem though, the 206 won't start without some throttle. Thanks, though, I appreciate ALL input as I haven't a clue.

I'm not sure how good the local Pug dealer is on these sorts of diagnostic journeys, or I'd just get them to plug it in.

Stu

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Stuey, are you sure the throttle does anything? From my reading the throttle does nothing before the engine fires (okay, it will open the butterfly if it's not fly-by-wire). Also, 8 seconds of cranking isn't that bad, but it does sound like pressure building up. That would suggest a (very slow) leak in the system, otherwise over night the pressure should keep. Does it do it all the time, including if you turn it off and then start up immediately (or shortly afterwards)? My 205GTI starts immediately next morning but if it sits for a few days, does the same trick with the longer cranking. Or maybe the new pump isn't that quick at building up the pressure?
    Aussie Steve likes this.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

I was having cold start problems with my S16 Similar to what you are describing, ie basically cranking over a long time before it would fire, it was a bad connection on the ECU temp sender. The only difference was I was getting hesitation and jerking as well, but that was due to the connection being intermittent. You may have a bad temp sender (assuming the ECU in the 206 works similarly). Probably worth getting the codes read (I don't know if there is a diy option for the 206) as if the ecu has logged a code related to the temp sender then either the sender or the wiring would be the suspect.

Tony.
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

My 180 also does something similar. It's fires quickly enough but I can't touch the throttle for about 30 secs once it's running or it runs very rough for a bit. After the initial 30 secs of just idling it's fine.
    I did have a similar problem with my XRS and my mechanic changed the fuel pump and it's fine ever since.
    pug206gti likes this.

1000+ Posts

Schlitz, the throttle is a cable operated one. All I can say is that it takes longer to start if I don't use it. As for the time taken, it may be longer than eight seconds - it just feels like a long time. In comparison, my 405 starts absolutely instantly in the morning - you have to be careful not to over rev it if you touch the accelerator as it starts so easily.

It only does this from dead cold I the morning. If you turn it straight off it will instantly restart. I've specifically tried this. And it starts no problems for the rest of the day, even if you leave it five hours. But 12 hours overnight; issues arise.

Tony, yes, I think I might need to get a diagnostic session done. Thanks for the tip; I guess first up I might just remove and reseat all the sender connectors.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

I would say your comments further suggest a slow leak of pressure in the fuel system and some time to build back up. Maybe the pump doesn't hold? Was it new, new or s/h new?
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

1000+ Posts

New. I'm not sure if the pressure regulator (which is in the tank) is part of the pump or not. Must look into it.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Fuel delivery is easy to test, does it catch and run more steadily from cold on a shot of ether spray?

1000+ Posts

I've already used 'Start ya bastard' but only the verbal treatment.
    Wintermute and Tom_95 like this.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

1000+ Posts

Hey fellas...I went for a drive yesterday for about 100km and that, combined with waiting until the pump stops priming, seems to have done the trick at least this first morning. Touch wood, but maybe the battery needed a good charge because the previous owner only did short suburban trips. There was no sign of a flat battery and it cranked rapidly, but still...interesting.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Hopefully it just needed a good run Stuey to "blow out the cobwebs"! I thought I had a problem today, I was at the end of a long left hander that I was really pushing it round and just when it started to straighten up ready for the merge and the car just died..... a few seconds later it kicked back to life...

A bit later I remembered I probably only had 3 or 4L of fuel in the tank

First time I've experienced "fuel surge" (if that is even a term). Lucky it didn't happen mid corner as I was modulating the throttle to keep it tidy. Lesson learned don't really push it with an almost empty tank!!

The "corner" in question is attached (inner circle it's close to 270 degrees I'd say) It died on me just as I got to the point where I was getting ready to merge, thankfully the loss of power was only brief.

Tony.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cold starting 206 GTi-loop.jpg  
    306 S16 1995 black
    Morris 1100 1965 green

LOL, if you're not crabbing on that corner you're not trying.
    Wintermute likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    LOL, if you're not crabbing on that corner you're not trying.
    And if both your rear wheels are on the ground you are a pansy.
    Wintermute likes this.

I usually have a good look at the concrete median as I come around there, new sections are not uncommon.

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    I usually have a good look at the concrete median as I come around there, new sections are not uncommon.
    Yes, that would be from the straight line gang.
    Jo

Icon6

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Steve View Post
    My 180 also does something similar. It's fires quickly enough but I can't touch the throttle for about 30 secs once it's running or it runs very rough for a bit. After the initial 30 secs of just idling it's fine.
    I did have a similar problem with my XRS and my mechanic changed the fuel pump and it's fine ever since.

G'day,
    you must wait for about a minute, before you start you trip. The time taken to fasten the seatbelt and lock the doors and check all the lights are working.

A bit later I remembered I probably only had 3 or 4L of fuel in the tank

First time I've experienced "fuel surge" (if that is even a term). Lucky it didn't happen mid corner as I was modulating the throttle to keep it tidy. Lesson learned don't really push it with an almost empty tank!!
    Happens to the most experienced of us, [no names, no pack drill.]
    regards,
    Les W.

206 GTi 180
    the stealth Pug
    Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?

1000+ Posts

Incidentally Tony I saw what I believed to be a very nice white S16 today with a young guy driving and girl passenger. She rubber necked the 206 as they drove past (I was pulling out) so I guess the passenger was also a Pug fan.
    Wintermute likes this.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Thread Information