Top engine mount cushions disintegration - 205 gti
  • Register
  • Help

Default Top engine mount cushions disintegration - 205 gti

I phoned the local french car parts place today inquiring about replacing the top engine mount cushions as one of mine had rotted and left the building, which was causing a bit of slack in the drivetrain and a shunt in short gears (parking/reversing) which causes amusing pitching/jumping.

Anyway, the person there said that the cushions dont matter, the engine cant move the top mount 1". I inquired why they were there in the first place only to get a "you dont know anything" kind of answer. I can move my top mount with my hand about an inch, so i imagined the engine could do worse.

Advertisement

They recommended i replace my top mount rubber, but it looks fine, and they don't stock the cushions because they dont do anything! This has to be total garbage, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Cubits
    I phoned the local french car parts place today inquiring about replacing the top engine mount cushions as one of mine had rotted and left the building, which was causing a bit of slack in the drivetrain and a shunt in short gears (parking/reversing) which causes amusing pitching/jumping.

Anyway, the person there said that the cushions dont matter, the engine cant move the top mount 1". I inquired why they were there in the first place only to get a "you dont know anything" kind of answer. I can move my top mount with my hand about an inch, so i imagined the engine could do worse.

They recommended i replace my top mount rubber, but it looks fine, and they don't stock the cushions because they dont do anything! This has to be total garbage, right?
    He sounds like a bit of a idiot. I would call someone else and get some, i replaced the ones on my Bx a while ago and dont recall it costing too much.
    I wouldn't like the extra movement to cause strain on the other mounts, and i couldn't live with the jumpiness of the thing with worn mounts regardless.

Dave

If you can move the motor at the mount an inch by hand, it is stuffed. Replace it and the bumpers. On mine years ago( I did heaps of motorkhanas) I put nylon spacers behind the bumpers so that they touched the sides of the aluminium mount, so as to limit movement at the mount. I only broke one in 180 000klm and approx 60 m/khanas and hillclimbs/sprints.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    02 and 03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee +

I checked this afternoon when i was tooling around with finding a rattle, and i can't actually move it 1", more like 0.5cm. After removing the remnants of the mount cushion (thats what the pug place called it) the mount never managed to touch the metal, but it feels a bit slappy when you're driving.

I noticed how hard it would be to install this part, i'd have to lift the engine at least on the right side (from incar) to get the clearance to fit the cushion under it. I was thinking of using a trolley jack on the thick bottom edge of the sump to lift the engine slightly so i can fit it in there.

Just like you say, put a piece of timber under the sump and take the weight of the motor, and simply take off the mount bracket and unscrew the mount. 15 mins work, 6 mins if you are in a hurry.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    02 and 03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee +

Thread Information