Tyre wear Peugeot 308 touring
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tonch504

Thread: Tyre wear Peugeot 308 touring

Default Tyre wear Peugeot 308 touring

The wife's car seams to be a lot harder on its tyres then any of my Renaults both are fitted with continentals or Michelin
    Any suggestions for the Peugeot
    Thanks

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

I would not go past the Michelins. The original set on my 308 lasted 100,000km. Replaced them with Michelin Energy, which lasted 120,000km. Now had new Michelin Pimacy fitted this week and I hope to see more than 100,000km out of these.
    Then again, my wife says I drive like an old lady, so, that may explain it.
    Doush_504 likes this.

1000+ Posts

You absolutely MUST drive like an old lady. Or those tyres have no grip whatsoever because they're so hard a compound! Probably both.

I have a set of Bridgestone RE002 on my Mi16 and the fronts are ready for replacement at 12,000km, and that's nothing to do with spinning, just cornering. The sides are worn off even though I run them at 36 psi cold. They are a soft tyre, but still...

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by screwg1 View Post
    The wife's car seams to be a lot harder on its tyres then any of my Renaults both are fitted with continentals or Michelin
    Any suggestions for the Peugeot
    Thanks
    Do you just mean general fairly even wear (apart form front outside edge wear) or is there an abnormal pattern?

Which particular Continental & Michelin tyre types are fitted & to which of the comparison vehicles? And what is the Renault model?

cheers! Peter

Pilot sports 3 on both at this time can not remember the specs of con but cam with car

1000+ Posts

Ok. I imagine that the Contis were SportContact5 tyres. These are generally considered to be class-leading in wet grip but will wear less well than the PS3 you have currently fitted. I also assume that the tyre size is 225/45-17.

You don't say what the Renault is & you don't comment on wear patterns. I asked because some cars can work front tyres on the outside edges more than other cars do & that the tyres expire relatively easily (especially if the owner uses the comfort-orientated low placard-recommended pressures & doesn't rotate tyres) may not count against a particular tyre type at all. In short, one has to be careful that one is comparing like cases.

The more that you prioritise high tread life, the less wet grip will be available to you. I don't know how far you want to go with this. The PS3 generally tests as a good (not the best) wet tyre both laterally & under braking. You could lose a little in lateral wet grip & gain in life by going for Pirelli's P1. Or you could go in the other direction & prioritise wet grip & accept a lower life. That is my own tendency. In which case, though the PS3 is fine, it's not optimal.

Presumably the concern with tyre life is one of money. One can achieve the same end (lower cost per km) by buying cheaper tyres & that is not automatically buying worse tyres on criteria of importance to you. One recommended way of doing this is to take advantage of "4 for the price of 3" deals. At the moment (finishes end of April), Bridgestone is offering that deal on Potenza tyres. One excellent wet tyre available in 225/45-17 is the Potenza RE003 Adrenalin. In May & June, Continental will, I gather, offer the same "4 for the price of 3" deal.

Jax posts nominal (pre-haggling) prices on its web page & let's use them for comparison & assume Conti does as I predict.

Michelin PS3 - around 200, so: 800 for 4
    Bridgestone RE003 -around 190, so: 570 for 4
    Continental SportContact5 - 230, so 690 for 4

Now, for the sake of illustration, further assume that the PS3 lasts for 100 units of wear & the RE003 & the SC5 last only for 80 units (not a bad guess, I surmise). So to bring cost per tyre life into alignment, we should multiply the latter two's prices by 5/4 (I think I have this right but you see the idea).

We get as the wear-adjusted cost of 4 tyres:

PS3: 800
    RE003: 675
    SC5: 712

My point is that you can get a better wet (& dry for that matter) gripping tyre at no greater cost than the PS3 by taking advantage of these deals. (The other main manufacturer to offer them is Yokohama but it has no offering in this size which is more attractive than the recommended pair. Other good tyres are available but arguably none better than this pair & none at 3/4 price.)

What I would do is buy the RE003 if needing replacements for a set of PS3s right now or, if needing a set some time rather later this year, buy a set of RE003s as late in April as possible or a set of SC5s as late in June as possible (to get as late a manufacturing date stamp as possible) & arrange with your local Bob Jane or whoever to fit them later when the time comes for it.

cheers! Peter
    Last edited by 4cvg; 13th March 2016 at 10:19 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi 4cvg - I really like your analysis. As in most things there is always a "sweet spot", and you have showed how to identify and find this in tyres.

1000+ Posts

Yep, good post Peter. I might grab a set of those Potenzas, too.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey View Post
    I can't imagine that you'll be disappointed. I bought a set (4for3) for my wife's Forester & consider them very good indeed.

I've also availed myself of a past Conti deal to get four PremiumContact2 tyres (which I very much like) for my Djet & will buy 4 PremiumContact5 tyres for my daughter's Corolla (to replace some appalling Pacer tyres some past, & idiotic, owner fitted). The PC5 is class-leading but only available in Australia in a few OE sizes; fortunately 195/65-15 is one of them.

Hankook occasionally do a similar sort of thing ($100 off total in their case) &, as the tyre I was buying (Ventus Concept in 185/60-13 for my Moke) was less than $100 each, that was better than a "4for3" deal! I bought them in December & just had them fitted; so far they seem ok but I've not yet tried them in the wet.

cheers! Peter

Our 308 gets around 40K km's from a set of tyres. They're generally down to the canvas when replaced. Usually CSC3's.

How the heck do people get 100K km's from a set of tyres ????

Our 308 does a lot of country runs and no city stop start driving - maybe that has something to do with it.

Cheers

Justin
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '10 308 Sportium Touring
    '12 Megane RS265 8:08

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey View Post
    rotate them this time? ('...fronts are ready for replacement at 12,000km...")

Fellow Frogger!

Got around 40000 out of the original fitment Conti's, not on my favourites list. Replaced with Michelins, much better tyre in the wet and good steering feel.

Fellow Frogger!

I took this photo of my Michelin Energy while doing a puncture repair. It's a rear wheel. This tyre has well over 110000km. I got the same mileage out of the front, only the outer edges were a little more worn. I'm not pulling your leg!Tyre wear Peugeot 308 touring-imageuploadedbytapatalk1457926121.368659.jpg

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by geedee View Post
    Got around 40000 out of the original fitment Conti's, not on my favourites list. Replaced with Michelins, much better tyre in the wet and good steering feel.
    A tad vague. What model Conti? What model Michelin?

Nod

Went to order Michelins for the 2011 308 Touring Sportium 2.0 L Diesel. 225/45 R 17s. Leaning towards the Primacy 3 ST as 94 rating as opposed to 91 on the Pilot Sport 3.

Car used predominately for suburban/city drive, with fortnightly trip to Central Coast from Northern Beaches of Sydney and a few longer trips in the year. Wife keeps to speed limit, but does not drive conservatively.

Dealer did not speak highly of the Primacy 3 ST, suggested Conti's are not as good since manufacturing has moved to Malaysia.

His recommendation is the Yokohama BluEarth AE 50. Can't seem to find much information on them. Any body have any experience with these?

1000+ Posts

I note the point about load ratings. I assume that you have in mind occasional long trips but I suggest that, even with a fully loaded car, you would be within the rated limits of the 91 rating tyres (probably only using 3 of them!). If concerned, add some psi.

I tend to favour the "extra load" variants of tyres because the usual way of achieving this is a two, not one, ply sidewall & that is a recipe for improved handling responsiveness at the expense of some ride comfort & fuel efficiency. Given your remarks, handling responsiveness seems not a hugely important criterion for you &, even were it to be, I suggest that a 91 rated PS3 would be more responsive than a 94 rated Pr 3 ST. Certainly it would brake better in the wet.

If you favour Michelins for some reason, then the regular European Primacy 3 is also available in this size & would not be a bad choice at all, better than the ST as a "premium touring" tyre for wet grip & responsiveness.

As for the Continentals, your dealer has a slightly distorted grasp of things. First, not all Contis are made in Asian plants for our market. Some are & are mainly the "Asian market" product lines not sold in Europe. (The ST is a Michelin example of this practice.) The notable one in your size is the MaxContact MC5. Like its deplorable regional stablemate, the ComfortContact5, its failings are sloppy structure and comparatively poor wet grip. The former might not be important to you but the latter should be.

Whatever the failings of these regional-only lines, the failings do not extend to the main European models. Some of these might be sourced from non-European countries but Conti, like, other major manufacturers, applies uniform structure & compound "recipes" for a given tyre model regardless of place of manufacture. In your size, the SportContact5 is the only candidate. A class-leading tyre, it's available in 91 & 94 load ratings. I surmise that your intended use is better served by a less sporting tyre than the SC5 but the admirable "premium touring" PremiumContact5 & PC2 are not available in your size.

The Yoko BluEarth AE50 is an eco tyre. The usual worry with these is that if the fuel efficiency has been achieved to a major extent by compound chemistry, not lightweight structures, then wet grip suffers. That seems to be the case with these. Have a look at:

2015 ACE Summer Touring Tyre Test - TyreReviews

The test is interesting as it features a couple of other tyres I'll mention. I think that, in a size that is populated by some very good "premium touring" tyres, you can do much much better. To see the range available, go to the Jax & Bob Jane sites & search by size (the Jax one gives notional prices). To confirm my appraisals & recommendations, go to:

Tyres by Brand - TyreReviews

& hunt within the brand names for the models you have shortlisted &/or want to check out & then open up the "all tests" tab & browse. I'd ignore overall test ratings & look for relative scores on parameters of importance to you for the chosen tyre versus others on your shortlist in that particular test. (I'd also larger ignore the user reviews & especially the statistically meaningless overall summary percentage ratings derived from them.)

For what it's worth. My short list within the "premium touring" class (on criteria of wet grip laterally & under braking with good responsiveness but not at the expense of overly harsh ride comfort) would be:

- Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance (not the regular EfficientGrip) - 94 load rating (my choice in this class)
    - Pirelli Cinturato P7 Blue - 91
    - Michelin Primacy 3 (not the ST regional variant) - 91

Up a class to more sporting variants & you'll trade off comfort for responsiveness. The list of possibilities is a very good one though.

- Bridgestone Potenza RE003 - 94
    - Continental SportContact5 - 94 or 91
    - Pirelli P Zero - 94 or 91
    - Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 2 - 94
    - Dunlop SP Sport Maxx RT - 94
    - Michelin PilotSport 3 - 91
    - Hankook S1 Evo2 - 94

As noted, the Jax page gives prices & current deals offer for the RE003 (4 for the price of 3), the Dunlop ($50 cashback), Hankook ($50 gift card) &, I predict, will apply in May-June for the Conti SC5 (4 for the price of 3).

Mainly on economic grounds, in this class I'd get the RE003 now or the SC5 in a month but note that most of these tyres will not be long lasting (if that is a criterion you allow to trump wet grip).

I hope that that is of some help, Peter

Nod

Pete, thank you for the comprehensive and prompt reply. Very much appreciated and of great help.

I had reviewed those links but will have a more detailed review after work. The tyres being replaced are Pirelli P Zero and the car came with factory fitted Continentals ( unsure of which variant). Neither had any real failing except "comfort" over Sydney roads was not strong.

Dry/wet grip; responsiveness are the high priority with comfort also sought. 30,000 ks plus is acceptable for wear. Cost up to $250 per tyre is the range. (I note the Michelin is $219 and the Yokohamas were $189 with buy 3, 4th Free.)

Thanks again for the reply.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nod View Post
    Pete, thank you for the comprehensive and prompt reply. Very much appreciated and of great help.

I had reviewed those links but will have a more detailed review after work. The tyres being replaced are Pirelli P Zero and the car came with factory fitted Continentals ( unsure of which variant). Neither had any real failing except "comfort" over Sydney roads was not strong.

Dry/wet grip; responsiveness are the high priority with comfort also sought. 30,000 ks plus is acceptable for wear. Cost up to $250 per tyre is the range. (I note the Michelin is $219 and the Yokohamas were $189 with buy 3, 4th Free.)

Thanks again for the reply.
    With that clarification (& assuming regular rotation to even wear) I'd say to definitely try '..the RE003 now or the SC5 in a month..'

cheers! Peter

Tadpole

Hi

Just noticed this thread. New to the forum.
    Anyway, I have Sumitomos with Wear Rating of 600 (compared to 280 for most) on 17" rims for a Pug 308 Touring. They wear quite well, but would like to now if others use it.
    Happy Easter,
    A

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Nod View Post
    Went to order Michelins for the 2011 308 Touring Sportium 2.0 L Diesel. 225/45 R 17s. Leaning towards the Primacy 3 ST as 94 rating as opposed to 91 on the Pilot Sport 3.

Car used predominately for suburban/city drive, with fortnightly trip to Central Coast from Northern Beaches of Sydney and a few longer trips in the year. Wife keeps to speed limit, but does not drive conservatively.

Dealer did not speak highly of the Primacy 3 ST, suggested Conti's are not as good since manufacturing has moved to Malaysia.

His recommendation is the Yokohama BluEarth AE 50. Can't seem to find much information on them. Any body have any experience with these?
    Yes, I fitted a set on my last (2010) Golf and they were awful (and recommended by Choice!) They were noisy, seemed to have poor wet weather grip (very little rain here in Adelaide in the time I had them) and were clearly going to get less than half the mileage that I got from the original equipment Continental Ecosports (70,000+kms) I was happy to see them go with the car when I sold it.
    Don
    Citroen DS21 Pallas 1970 Renault 16TS 1976 Renault 5TS 1981

Nod

Thanks Don,

Appreciate the reply. Real life use opinions are always valuable. Won't be getting the Yokohamas. The reports for the Cont 6 and Michelin PilotSport 4 look very good, but don't appear to be available in Australia.

Narrowed choice to Conti 5 , Bridgestone Potenza REO03, and PilotSport 3 and Hankock Evo 2.

1000+ Posts

'...Continental Ecosports...'

can't be right but what?

I'm having terrible trouble with tyre wear on the REAR of our 308 touring. Tyre consultant says it's the factory setting with very aggressive camber, and he's tried an aggressive toe-in with higher pressure to compensate, but no real improvement. Anyone else had such a problem, and any suggested solutions? (BTW - tyre consultant says most Euro's have the same problem). When I say terrible, I mean totally scrubbing the inside of two sets of tyres within 30,000 km.

Simon in Tassie

GTi6, 207GTi, 308 Touring

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_Tassie View Post
    I'm having terrible trouble with tyre wear on the REAR of our 308 touring. Tyre consultant says it's the factory setting with very aggressive camber, and he's tried an aggressive toe-in with higher pressure to compensate, but no real improvement. Anyone else had such a problem, and any suggested solutions? (BTW - tyre consultant says most Euro's have the same problem). When I say terrible, I mean totally scrubbing the inside of two sets of tyres within 30,000 km.
    Interesting - I've noticed the aggressive camber settings many times on the rear of our Touring (only this morning in fact walking up to the car from behind), but never noticed the rears wearing any differently.

I would advise against the aggressive toe-in on the front though - I've found that a moderate (slight) toe-out was the best compromise - the factory toe settings are definitely too much though. Our Touring was also wearing tyres very quickly until we found the moderate toe-out settings - and regular rotation as the best compromise. I always run 40psi as well - not sure what you call 'higher pressures ?

The trade-off is that the Touring does handle very well though.

Cheers

Justin
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '10 308 Sportium Touring
    '12 Megane RS265 8:08

Thread Information