Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By azeng
  • 1 Post By SilverGTi_6
  • 1 Post By Grey_Lover

Thread: Bought a 405 Mi16!

Tadpole

Default Bought a 405 Mi16!

Hi everyone, first post here.

I recently picked up a pretty clean Mi16 as my first car! Mechanically it's in really good condition, cosmetically also pretty good, although it has been vinyl wrapped (I'm ambivalent about it). Interior is also original and good, although there are a lot of rattles (any way to improve this?) There are a few small issues; fuel gauge doesn't work (anyone know where I can get a sender?), sunroof motor is dead, rear drivers side electric window + central locking not working (wiring connection dodgy?), aircon isn't very cold. Since I take public transport to uni most of the time, this will be a weekend/project car, so any suggestions on what I should do/look out for in the car? I don't really want to modify it too much as I'm pretty happy with how it drives as it is, just want to get everything sorted.
    Bought a 405 Mi16!-4055.jpgBought a 405 Mi16!-4057.jpgBought a 405 Mi16!-img_20160228_134233.jpgBought a 405 Mi16!-img_20160228_134252.jpgBought a 405 Mi16!-img_20160228_134306.jpgBought a 405 Mi16!-img_20160228_134322.jpgBought a 405 Mi16!-img_20160228_134340.jpgBought a 405 Mi16!-img_20160301_185050.jpg

Any suggestions are appreciated!
    Thanks

Advertisement
    dj4llen likes this.

Congratulations! They are lots of fun but keep an eye on your speedo.

Tadpole

What city are you near-in? French Connection in Melbourne have all kinds of bits & the owner's son who works there knows them inside out, has a fully restored one & has stripped a pile of them for bits. Congrats, they are a wicked little car! (Aircon probably just needs regass- they are icy when working properly)

Congrats mate. Awesome cars.
    Mi16 Man likes this.
    Lotus Evora
    Peugeot 308 GTi
    1966 Volvo 122s
    Clio Sport Cup 182

Previous
    Lotus Sport 111, C4 VTS, RCZ, 205 GTi, Volvo C30 T5-R, Honda S2000, 206 GTi180, Lotus Elise 111R, 205 GTi 6, Manual 406 coupe, 306 GTi 6, 405 MI16 (twice!), 505 GR

Blue suits it .. looks good . Many older pugs have dash rattles and squeaks . Just turn your stereo up : )
    dj4llen likes this.
    206 gti 180
    306 gti 6
    fx holden historic race car

I am actually envious. Nice car, though the leather seats are not my cup of tea. Didn't even know they came in that really nice colour. Wonder how you sniffed it knowing that Cav junior has been scanning for one for a while.

Are we talking dash/plastic rattles or mechanical? Mechanical rattles are easily improved with an inspection of the suspension and replacement of bits where it's due. Plastics will be that way (be happy they aren't cracked, and leave them alone). Any attempt to fix plastics will only serve to disintegrate them faster.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 2nd March 2016 at 01:01 AM.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post
    I am actually envious. Nice car, though the leather seats are not my cup of tea. Didn't even know they came in that really nice colour. Wonder how you sniffed it knowing that Cav junior has been scanning for one for a while.

Are we talking dash/plastic rattles or mechanical? Mechanical rattles are easily improved with an inspection of the suspension and replacement of bits where it's due. Plastics will be that way (be happy they aren't cracked, and leave them alone). Any attempt to fix plastics will only serve to disintegrate them faster.
    Hehe saw it but don't like the vinyl wrap. Seems a shame it would be nice if it was still white. Didn't have many kms either but it's in Sydney!
    2011 Renault Koleos manual petrol, yes it's boring, but not as boring as:
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

Yes don't even try to stop the plastic rattles. They are just there. learn to enjoy them?

I've found in 5th gear, its easier to sit at 70km/h than 60km/h. This has been the cause of many a speeding ticket.

You'll have fun!

Works: 2003 YV Commodore (That is Cecil to you)
    Playing: R12, SuperPos, thinks It's a race car and Sunny the R12 Lego set.
    Previous: SuperGrumpy fuel spitting 504ti(ish), SuperComfortable 505 STI, SuperDoper carried my groceries Mi16, Choo Choo'd Volvo S40
    Wanted Will hoard 12/15/17 Junk.

"More and more of less and less" - Marina Abramović

Quote Originally Posted by bowie View Post
    Yes don't even try to stop the plastic rattles. They are just there. learn to enjoy them?

I've found in 5th gear, its easier to sit at 70km/h than 60km/h. This has been the cause of many a speeding ticket.

You'll have fun!
    I have to agree Ive only ever got speeding fines in my mi16's. Never had one in the 406 which is a much faster car!!

I found making little metal braces on the top dash cover (the bit over the instrument cluster and has the vents in it) stopped alot of rattles.
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

Quote Originally Posted by cav91 View Post
    Hehe saw it but don't like the vinyl wrap. Seems a shame it would be nice if it was still white. Didn't have many kms either but it's in Sydney!

Is that vinyl wrap???

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Is that vinyl wrap???
    Yep, when it's done right it looks very neat. But I like the gloss of paint better!
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

Tadpole

Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by 405 SRTD Owner View Post
    What city are you near-in? French Connection in Melbourne have all kinds of bits & the owner's son who works there knows them inside out, has a fully restored one & has stripped a pile of them for bits. Congrats, they are a wicked little car! (Aircon probably just needs regass- they are icy when working properly)
    I'm in Sydney, the car has been going to PQ Automotive for the past few years, seems the whole drivetrain was replaced there in 2012.

Yeah, just dash rattles. The previous owner put foam padding in between many of the crevices so its not that bad. Mainly the top binnacle. Also the original colour is silver, blue is just the vinyl wrap.

I have to agree Ive only ever got speeding fines in my mi16's. Never had one in the 406 which is a much faster car!!

I found making little metal braces on the top dash cover (the bit over the instrument cluster and has the vents in it) stopped alot of rattles.
    This is what rattles the most for me, do you have a photo of what you did? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by azeng View Post

This is what rattles the most for me, do you have a photo of what you did? Thanks.
    Sorry no photos I did it to a red one that my sister wrote off a couple years ago. To be honest I can't remember even how I did it. Basically I think I just made metal brackets where it mounts normally behind those blank switches. And put.much bigger rubber grommets on the back where it meets dash
    2017 Renault Koleos auto

Tadpole

Sorry no photos I did it to a red one that my sister wrote off a couple years ago. To be honest I can't remember even how I did it. Basically I think I just made metal brackets where it mounts normally behind those blank switches. And put.much bigger rubber grommets on the back where it meets dash
    Ah no worries, thanks. Also where is the best place to source parts? Are there any online stores (international is fine)?

Many.

Try google.de or google.fr and type "peugeot 405 ersatzteile" for the first one and "peugeot 405 pieces rechange" for the second. Have a beer close by. Or just go ebay US (make sure you select worldwide) and that'll find you a lot of shops.

1000+ Posts

Creative Intentions, Ken Bailey, 0400 566 119. French car parts, Melbourne. Mail order. Ken has been supplying many of us for years; used to work for Caravelle. Only mechanical, not trim.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Tadpole

Does anyone know about Dapco and EAI in Sydney? I probably need to get some shocks and belts. One rear and one front shock are leaking, and also if the air con is turned on at cold start, the belt squeals for about 5s. If I turn the air con on 5s after starting, it's fine :/
    Also, the power steering belt squeals a bit on full lock. I read somewhere that the factory belt is a bit too long? Is there a part number for a suitable one?
    Peugeot 405 Mi16 1989
    Peugeot 3008 Active 2013
    Volvo S40 T5 2004

The PS belt is normal to squeal at full lock because it‘s trying to force the pump to pump against maximum pressure (trying to turn wheels when they already are turned at the max).

The A/C belt needs to warm up to tension (and so do others).

If you hear squealing when everything is nice and warm, then you might have to adjust or change something. From your description, not yet the case.

These rubber belts are longer when cold and shrink with a bit of heat. A bit against common sense, but that‘s the way it is.

Your squeal may well be the harmonic damper failing, this is to be taken seriously.

PAS also requires a strong pull when tensioning.

I have some rear shocks new in the box, European made non genuine - yours for $20 the pair.

You sure it has the rubber core type? My wife's 94 had a solid cast pulley.

Undo the A/C belt tensioner and tension with an 8mm square drive. It shouldn't squeal ever. Imagine if they did that from new? They only would have sold one car, to shiltz.

The same with the PAS tensioner. Use a 1/2" square drive to put sufficient tension on it, while you tighten the nut/bolt.

Ask for Martin at EAI. He's very good. I buy all my bits from there.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    Ask for Martin at EAI. He's very good. I buy all my bits from there.
    Without Martin in the Sydney branch, I would probably not shop at EAI.

Quote Originally Posted by addo View Post
    Without Martin in the Sydney branch, I would probably not shop at EAI.
    Why not? I've bought lots of stuff from EAI over about 15 years and found them to be nothing but helpful and willing to go the extra mile to provide great service!
    1989 Peugeot 405 Mi16
    1990 Peugeot 505 GTD Turbo Wagon
    2000 Peugeot 306 XSI
    1973 Peugeot 504 GL

Tadpole

Cheers guys. While I'm under the car doing shocks, are there any other weak points (bushes, drop links etc) to check/change?

Thread Information