Mint 205 GTI's in the UK
  • Register
  • Help

Default Mint 205 GTI's in the UK

Stolen from GTIdrivers but:

"I know it's slightly different as what i'm posting is about an original, but there's a 1988 with 25,500 miles coming soon on the appreciating classics website. Out of curiosity i phoned the garage and he said that the car has not yet arrived and been prepared, but if it goes straight on 'as is' it will be circa 19,995. However, they might refurb wheels and do a few other things to get it absolutely top notch and test the market at 24,995."

Bloody hell, that's $48K Aussies sheckles. Different market but jeez. Yes, they actually have to get it too.

Advertisement
    Last edited by Isis; 29th February 2016 at 07:40 PM.
    S3 205 GTI x 4 and getting lower
    1998 S1 Lotus Elise
    2013 Fiesta ST
    2014 Audi SQ5

Fellow Frogger!

Isis, I think they are still dreaming with that price. Certainly the value of GTi's are appreciating in the UK, but from a relatively low base.

There was one on the market a couple of years back that was indeed a minter... full restoration, which was for a charity fund raising event. The asking price was UKP 10,950 and it had 89,000 miles on the clock and as you can see restored to within an inch of its life.

Mint 205 GTI's in the UK-1455_2_org.jpgMint 205 GTI's in the UK-1455_13_org.jpgMint 205 GTI's in the UK-p1.jpg

griffo

1000+ Posts

Is there a premium for keeping the rust out?

Seems to be missing the battery hold down...

Thanks for the photos Griff. I notice you are down the road from me, so to speak.

The thread I took that quote from seems to tell the story of another car sold for 20K pds last year as a full nut and bolt resto job. Only a very small number of cars are either original minters with very low ks OR have been restored to as-new and such cars appeal to a different bracket of wealthy buyer I think. Cant expect the same level of interest in AU. Apparently Chris Evans bought a minter for about 10K pds, in white of course.

Ash
    1998 S1 Lotus Elise
    2013 Fiesta ST
    2014 Audi SQ5

The real question you need to ask is why are prices rising (or why will they rise). A car is an asset like any other thing. it can go up or down in value.

There are a number of variables that are causing prices of some cars to rise. Firstly, is it truly an iconic car? Yes, 205 GTIs would meet that criteria. Secondly, many people that are buying classic cars today are buying cars that they could never afford when they were younger (think Ford GT's in Australia). Thirdly, if you want a true driving experience, buying a modern sports car may not tickle your fancy - some can be like driving computers. Not everyone who goes for a sunday drive on their favourite road wants to spend 300K on a Porsche that does all the driving for you.

Other examples of appreciate cars: Volkswagen combi with split front window (getting over $100K in Australia). Ferraris F355s (a couple of years ago you could get one for around $100K-130K. Now many of these are advertised for closer to $200k.

Fellow Frogger!

The 1990 GTi in my post was as I noted part of a charity event and I quote "The Children In Need charity will receive all profits as announced by Chris Evans the Radio 2 presenter".

I know he is referred to as a petrol head... Top Gear anyone, but I wondered if this car sparked his interest in the GTi.

The UK guys think there are still about 6000 205s on the road over there. We could assume most of them have been used properly or have Mi engines or are bitsas. Until these are entirely wiped out over the next 10 years its hard to imagine prices going crazy. There seems to be complete agreement about the car being a classic but while rarity is not a problem...

ps. 100K for a Kombi I find astonishing. Nothing is impossible when it comes to rich, nostalgic people!
    1998 S1 Lotus Elise
    2013 Fiesta ST
    2014 Audi SQ5

Fellow Frogger!

Looks like a lot of them are 'up on blocks' aka SORN.

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicl...05_gti#!engine

Maybe waiting for the prices to rise sufficiently :-)

I support any way possible to preserve as many good GTIs as possible but not using them as intended is against the grain of both the car and the proper petrolhead who loves them. They also seem to self destruct without use! My plan is for 100% garage and then special trips at least every 2 weeks. Shares would also be a better investment. I keep a couple for love only.
    1998 S1 Lotus Elise
    2013 Fiesta ST
    2014 Audi SQ5

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    Stolen from GTIdrivers but:

"I know it's slightly different as what i'm posting is about an original, but there's a 1988 with 25,500 miles coming soon on the appreciating classics website. Out of curiosity i phoned the garage and he said that the car has not yet arrived and been prepared, but if it goes straight on 'as is' it will be circa 19,995. However, they might refurb wheels and do a few other things to get it absolutely top notch and test the market at 24,995."

Bloody hell, that's $48K Aussies sheckles. Different market but jeez. Yes, they actually have to get it too.

So which one are you selling?? ��
    94 205 Gti Classic #9
    91 205 Si
    87 205 GTi Race Car
    http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/res...-race-car.html

I think he should send the white one north to one of us...

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk

If I wasn't married to a sane woman I would buy every good one that pops up and form an evil monopoly, he he he.
    1998 S1 Lotus Elise
    2013 Fiesta ST
    2014 Audi SQ5

Thread Information