505 Dreaming
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 505 Dreaming

1000+ Posts

Default 505 Dreaming

You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one......

Had a good day on the spanners today.

First I pulled out the brake booster from the doner car and fitted it in our daily driver. Wot a difference without all that air being sucked through all the time, now no farting from the rubbers, great brakes and no burbling from loss of air seal causing lean and uneveen running.

Then I ripped out the motor and gearbox to go into the white car. It was a learning curve as the linkages had not been properly dismantled due to lack of manual and experience but now the doner car is substantially without go bits and it's a good thang.

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Aren't they fun pulling the motor out all by yourself?
    If you need a manual let me know as I have a spare.
    I see a 306 in the background. Would you sell me the fuel pump?
    1998 Peugeot 406 D8SV Manual
    1999 Peugeot 406 D8ST Auto
    2002 Peugeot 406 D9SV Manual
    1994 Peuegot 306 N3 Cabriolet Manual
    1994 Peugeot 306 XR N3 Hatch
    1995 Peugeot 505 GTI executive
    1976 Peugeot 504 Sedan - Now sold

Over 60 Pugs in my time
    Gerry Mullock

1000+ Posts

I had a bit of trouble separating the box from the driveshaft but then discovered it was because the gearshift linkage was still attached.
    My worry is that the driveshaft is spring loaded from the diff and i wonder how it will go when I come to reload the box onto it.
    Yes I'd like to buy the 505 manual Gerry.
    The 306 you see is an S16 belonging to my son in law. Is the fuel pump difficult to get and is it the same with all 306 models?
    I'll ask him if he wants to part with it but he is almost on the road with another 306 , an XT, and wants a treasure trove of bits whatever may fit from the S16, and then the special S16 bits are up for sale.
    So the short answer is I don't know.
    Talk to me and we'll work it out.

Quote Originally Posted by luthier View Post
    My worry is that the driveshaft is spring loaded from the diff and i wonder how it will go when I come to reload the box onto it.
    No problemo. They do have a spring inside one end of the driveshaft, but there is only slight compression on it. The only real problem whilst fitting is angular misalignment of the splines....they are a close fit.

Reminder (you may well know this already):

Don't forget to put some loctite on the 2 lower bolts holding torque tube to gearbox. And torque tube onto the diff.
    Vibration will loosen all the bolts, but gravity causes the joint to sag and open up at the bottom, then the splines come together at an angle, causing them to chew out.
    Oh...and put moly grease on both splines.

1000+ Posts

My Peugeot CD indicates that there is no distinction between the standard fuel pump and the S16.

The fuel pump is located under the back seat.
    1998 Peugeot 406 D8SV Manual
    1999 Peugeot 406 D8ST Auto
    2002 Peugeot 406 D9SV Manual
    1994 Peuegot 306 N3 Cabriolet Manual
    1994 Peugeot 306 XR N3 Hatch
    1995 Peugeot 505 GTI executive
    1976 Peugeot 504 Sedan - Now sold

Over 60 Pugs in my time
    Gerry Mullock

1000+ Posts

If the red car is the one it looks like, 5th gear is why it was sold years ago.

1000+ Posts

Beano, thanks for that, though I have known about the loctite I had forgotten thanks.
    Armed with that advice I will now pull the engine and box together from the white car, it's so much easier than separating engine and box in the car.

Gerry I've mentioned this to Richard and he wants to hang on to any interchangeable parts. How difficult are the fuel pumps to get?
    Surely David Cavanagh could sort one out for you. He wrecks quite a few 306's.
    Can I buy the 505 Manual?

Seasink, the red car was courtesy of Cal Makin from Mudgee and he remembers the box to be good so perhaps you are thinking of a different red car I hope. He had it for quite a long time.
    Checking the box seems a problem on the ground as I don't know really how to evaluate it. I drove it up my dirt road before dismantling and every gear seemed OK though a bit of a whine. Same in the white car though it screamed when being driven up Big Jack Mountain Road at Rocky Hall which is particularly steep and also stressed my 203 when I went there in her. I haven't checked it out for oil yet which is about as far as I can check without taking them to a pro gearbox recon joint.
    The added problem there is both cars have been sitting about for years and it's amazing what a nice oil change with a dose of G70 Nulon can do. My daily driver is now quiet as a mouse down in the box with such TLC.

Quote Originally Posted by luthier View Post
    I drove it up my dirt road before dismantling and every gear seemed OK though a bit of a whine. Same in the white car though it screamed when being driven up Big Jack Mountain Road at Rocky Hall which is particularly steep
    Does it have a BA 7, or BA 10 ??

If it is a BA 7, was it whining only in 5th ? Whining is the first (and sometimes only) warning of the 5th gear bearing just about to collapse....even though they are a roller bearing (as far as I remember).

BA 7s are notorious for this....and probably only this. Luckily other makes of car use em, so plenty of spare parts at good prices, I'd say.

Thread Information