406HDi not starting
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Glenn

Thread: 406HDi not starting

Fellow Frogger!

Icon11 406HDi not starting

G'day all. I live in the country. Driving home from Bendigo the other day, went to pass a truck, car gave a bit of a hiccup and kept going. Got past and then engine died! Diesel all over engine bay, under car and over back of car. Home on a truck. Found the plastic drain at the bottom of the fuel filter had broken off. Replaced with one from a Ford Ranger and car went as normal. Took a little while for engine management light to go out but it did. Car has 333,000 km, serviced 3000 ago and is 2003 build. Only did a few kms after getting it going but seemed really good.
    Loaded up to go to Shepparton for an appointment yesterday morning and she would not start! Turns over but no sign of life. Never done this before - always hit the key and away she goes.

Any ideas please????

Advertisement

Start with the basics. Will it catch on ether spray or a splash of diesel?

Have you primed the fuel lines up fully?

1000+ Posts

My first look would be for air in the fuel system. If there's a transparent section coming out of the filter, take a look when the engine is turned over or hand pumped. The filter drain tube isn't essential, but there may be more damage. The normal fuel return line from the HP pump to the tank is at the top of the filter, so you shouldn't have seen a leak from the bottom.

PS Which 2.0 diesel is yours? The location of the various filter housing inlets and outlets varies.
    Last edited by seasink; 26th February 2016 at 01:17 PM. Reason: ps

1000+ Posts

Try turning the ignition on and off a few times before starting ,each turn on, runs the tank pump a while, to prime the mechanical pump ,if there is an air leak at the filter ,it will allow the fuel to drain back to the tank when standing ,my experience has been that the mechanical pumps on common rail cars often dont have much suck, only push ,so no end of cranking will pull the fuel up ,just the electric pump in the tank .pugs

1000+ Posts

It's an early HDI, so there is a tank pump. Later engines suck rather than push.

Fellow Frogger!

Problem solved I hope. Thanks for your advice guys. No fuel coming through although gauge showed a quarter of a tank and it had only done 600km since a fill. Put fuel in, bled system and she goes again. I must have lost something like 35litres the other day and now know not to trust the fuel gauge.
    Glenn
    Thera likes this.

Thread Information