Early 505 external mirror assembly
  • Register
  • Help

Default Early 505 external mirror assembly

I'm stumped! I thought I'd try to fix a droopy external mirror on my 1981 505 but I can't for the life of me work out how it all goes together.

It would only adjust 'down' and in trying to remove it the glass part fell off the car and this plastic wheel/cog fell on the ground. Anyone know where it fits? Any tips on how to get it adjusting properly?

Advertisement
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Early 505 external mirror assembly-lhs-3-note.jpg   Early 505 external mirror assembly-lhs-1.jpg  

Hi

A bit tricky to explain, but the gear you are asking about is located by the shaft that protrudes through the bottom of the unit in photo 2, you have to hold the mirror including the mechanism in photo one vertically, then place the gear in position ready to receive the shaft when you lower the second part down on to it. The really tricky part is that you have to line it up and lower it almost right down, leaving just enough room to slip the spring in and the finish lowering it, then finish by fixing it with the two screws shown.
    Regards
    Neil

Thanks for the reply Neil. What do you mean 'located by the shaft'? Do you mean 'beside' the shaft? Does the smaller gear on the end of the shaft turn the larger gear that I'm asking about? Sorry I'm having trouble picturing it. I've drawn a picture in paintshop below. Is that how it goes together? You mention a 'spring'... I don't seem to have one of these-what type of spring is it? I do have a little brass curly washer though-do you know where this goes?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Early 505 external mirror assembly-mirror-diagram.jpg  

Hi

The easy part first, the wavy washer goes between the two knobs, the loose gear we are talking about does engage with the gear in the middle of the housing and is located by a small shaft or spigot that protrudes below one side of the bottom of the unit. The spring is essential and is a quite strong compression spring about 20 mm long x 5 mm diameter, it might be simpler if you just got a second hand mirror.
    Regards Neil

With your info I think I'll carefully disassemble the driver's side mirror and make sure I don't loose any parts (the spring you mention probably went skywards when the mirror fell off the car). I have a few springs in the toolbox so I might be able to reassemble the mirror. If not then it'll be a secondhand unit. Thanks for your help..

Quote Originally Posted by nisspug2 View Post
    With your info I think I'll carefully disassemble the driver's side mirror and make sure I don't loose any parts (the spring you mention probably went skywards when the mirror fell off the car). I have a few springs in the toolbox so I might be able to reassemble the mirror. If not then it'll be a secondhand unit. Thanks for your help..
    Two secondhand units ?

probably....

1000+ Posts

I have spare RHS mirrors if needed
    1998 Peugeot 406 D8SV Manual
    1999 Peugeot 406 D8ST Auto
    2002 Peugeot 406 D9SV Manual
    1994 Peuegot 306 N3 Cabriolet Manual
    1994 Peugeot 306 XR N3 Hatch
    1995 Peugeot 505 GTI executive
    1976 Peugeot 504 Sedan - Now sold

Over 60 Pugs in my time
    Gerry Mullock

Thanks Pugnut1, I'll keep it in mind. I did find the spring though I haven't had time yet to tackle the mirror.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Early 505 external mirror assembly-spring-46-x-5.5mm.jpg  

Fellow Frogger!

What broke to make it fall apart in the first place?
    I can sell you a good mirror complete for 50$ plus post.

Thanks for the offer-I'll let you know if I need it. I bought the car without a passenger mirror, got a SH one and installed it but I must have done it wrong as it never adjusted properly.
    Last edited by nisspug2; 25th February 2016 at 05:25 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi Gerry.......I bought the LHS mirror for my '84 STi from you. It's fine but won't adjust fully all the way up and I can only see half the image (if you know what I mean.) Down is not a problem, just can't get it up fully.
    Any ideas ?
    Regards.
    Deane.

That's exactly what was happening to mine Deane. Will let you know if I manage tto fix it.

Fellow Frogger!

Icon5 Droopy Mirrors.

Thanks mate. Would appreciate advice if you manage to sort it.......frustrating isn't it?

Cheers.

Deane.

Having done this exercise, it is really just a matter of persevering to get all of the gears correctly aligned, I just pulled mine apart and worked out what it was all doing and then played around until they were all correct and the mirror worked fine, this is of assuming that nothing is broken.
    Regards
    Neil

Fellow Frogger!

Default Same but Different.

Hi Neil,
    interestingly my 84 STi does not share the gear assembly that is evident in your photo (well, not that I can remember anyway.) As it is down at the workshop to have some brake / bearing issues sorted I'll wait until it's home and have another look.#
    As I recall it it is much simpler internally.

#Patiently waiting to find another mastercylinder before it comes home.
    Cheers.
    Deane.

Fellow Frogger!

Dickhead!!!..... Me, not you. Looking at your photo again I now realise the gearing was still all inside the flexible rubber bit.!
    Something else now to do when I get my hands on it again.

Thread Information