Maintenance schedule
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 17 of 17
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By addo
  • 1 Post By SLC206

Thread: Maintenance schedule

  1. #1
    Member warsch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    38

    Default Maintenance schedule

    I've got a question regarding how are Peugeots are usually maintained by dealers here.

    I bought a 2004 407 2.2 petrol with ~150K on the clock.

    The log book has records up to 98K (and none of them has any comments). And now the car says that it was due for a service 51 000 ago. Which probably means that it wasn't serviced at Peugeot dealer since then.

    Running VIN against PSA database reveals dealer service records up 44 000.

    Advertisement


    My question is, what are the chances that timing belt has ever been done?

    The previous owner is far from mechanically minded so of no help.

  2. #2
    Contented Peugeot Driver addo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Don't remind me!
    Posts
    16,609

    Default

    If you don't know, err on the side of caution. Petrol engines in this family are expensive if there are meetings between valves and pistons.
    pug206gti likes this.

  3. #3
    1000+ Posts Peter Chisholm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    SWOTR
    Posts
    3,627

    Default

    Yes, unless you have positive proof that the timing belt has been done, assume it hasn't.

  4. #4
    Member warsch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Yep, that pretty much what I was thinking. And that leads to the next question, what are the recommended mechanics to do that? What kind of price am I looking at?

  5. #5
    1000+ Posts jo proffi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    8,426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by warsch View Post
    Yep, that pretty much what I was thinking. And that leads to the next question, what are the recommended mechanics to do that? What kind of price am I looking at?
    Which leads on to the next question….what else should be replaced whilst they are at it??

    Jo

  6. #6
    Member warsch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    Which leads on to the next question….what else should be replaced whilst they are at it??
    Jo
    I believe I know the answer to this one: aux belt, all the tensioners, water pump.

  7. #7
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Brisbane/Australia
    Posts
    387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by warsch View Post
    Yep, that pretty much what I was thinking. And that leads to the next question, what are the recommended mechanics to do that? What kind of price am I looking at?
    Only place I know of in Brisbane is DS Motors. They know these cars like the back of their hands. They're great on price too. I have no experience with PSA petrol engined cars, so can't help on price.

    Like the others have suggested, err on the side of caution and get it done. It doesn't mean the car hasn't been serviced for 50,000 kms just that the service indicator hasn't been reset since then. Probably the same professional mechanic who didn't plug in the abs sensor when changing fuel pump.

  8. #8
    Member warsch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dcc236 View Post
    Only place I know of in Brisbane is DS Motors.
    Thanks, will give them a call.

    Quote Originally Posted by dcc236 View Post
    It doesn't mean the car hasn't been serviced for 50,000 kms just that the service indicator hasn't been reset since then. Probably the same professional mechanic who didn't plug in the abs sensor when changing fuel pump.
    I understand, but the fact it hasn't been reset probably means that all the services after 100K were just oil changes.

  9. #9
    sans witticism SLC206's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    North Parramatta
    Posts
    3,997

    Default

    At that age and mileage, it should have already had two belt changes and is ready for its third, based on the Peugeot Australia 4yrs/80k schedule
    pug206gti likes this.
    Regards,

    Simon

    2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

    www.peugeotclub.asn.au

  10. #10
    UNM
    UNM is offline
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    318

    Default

    I don't know that 2.2 engine specifically, but both the 1.6 TU5 and 2.0 EW10 engines I have replaced timing belts on were incredibly easy to do. The tight space on the 206 GTi with the EW10 made removal of the cover and access to the tensioner a bit tricky, but still easy to do in a couple of hours at home.

    I did not bother with the water pump as it is easy enough that I can treat as fix on fail. If I was paying a garage though, it is worth the extra cost to get it all done at the same time - if you don't know enough to do the job yourself (or don't want to), then it is best to have that peace of mind and save two trips to a mechanic.

  11. #11
    Member warsch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post
    At that age and mileage, it should have already had two belt changes and is ready for its third, based on the Peugeot Australia 4yrs/80k schedule
    I highly doubt there was a second belt change. And that was pretty much my question. But I guess it's due for replacement anyway.

  12. #12
    Member warsch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UNM View Post
    I don't know that 2.2 engine specifically, but both the 1.6 TU5 and 2.0 EW10 engines I have replaced timing belts on were incredibly easy to do.
    Yeah, it seems like a kind of job I can do myself. 407 with 2.2 has enough space under the hood.

    Quote Originally Posted by UNM View Post
    I did not bother with the water pump as it is easy enough that I can treat as fix on fail.
    My google finding show that pump bearing failure can cause the belt to skip or go off. And I don't feel like doing the same job twice even if I do it myself for free. Pump isn't that expensive anyway.

  13. #13
    sans witticism SLC206's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    North Parramatta
    Posts
    3,997

    Default

    I'm a bit leery about changing belts just on time, but as has been mentioned if you don't have any history it's better to err on the side of caution.
    Regards,

    Simon

    2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

    www.peugeotclub.asn.au

  14. #14
    Member warsch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post
    I'm a bit leery about changing belts just on time, but as has been mentioned if you don't have any history it's better to err on the side of caution.
    It seems to be a job a can do myself and all the parts cost like $250-300. So I'll sure do that in the near future.

  15. #15
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Kendenup WA
    Posts
    124

    Default

    Anyone that buys a second hand car, especially one without an up-to-date service record, should, for peace of mind and reliability, give it some serious preventative maintenance. I recently bought a 5 year old SUV which had a slightly dubious service record covering the last 18 months. Because of this, and also because I live on a farm far from garages I did the following:
    Changed all the oils; the brake and clutch fluid and the coolant. Replaced all the filters, including the fuel. New s/plugs. Checked the brake pads. Fitted new wiper blade re-fills. Checked condition of vacuum and coolant hoses. Replaced the s/plug leads.
    Still to do: Fit new oxygen sensor and fan-belts.
    Luckily my SUV has a timing chain set-up. But in your case, whilst replacing the timing belt and w/pump, I would seriously consider replacing not only the tensioner assy, but also the seals for the camshaft, crankshaft and idler shaft.
    Sure it costs money and is time consuming -- but, if you can do most of it yourself, you'll be quids in front in the long run.
    Pavel

  16. #16
    Member warsch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pavel Moore View Post
    Anyone that buys a second hand car, especially one without an up-to-date service record, should, for peace of mind and reliability, give it some serious preventative maintenance.

    I would seriously consider replacing not only the tensioner assy, but also the seals for the camshaft, crankshaft and idler shaft.
    Sure it costs money and is time consuming -- but, if you can do most of it yourself, you'll be quids in front in the long run.
    I agree with the first part, that some maintenance should be done on a newly bought used car. But I think changing seals that don't leak is an overkill. I am realistic - the car is more than 10 years old, I can't afford to change all the parts just for the piece of mind. The timing belt is a bit different, as its failure is fatal for the engine.

  17. #17
    1000+ Posts jo proffi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    8,426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by warsch View Post
    I agree with the first part, that some maintenance should be done on a newly bought used car. But I think changing seals that don't leak is an overkill. I am realistic - the car is more than 10 years old, I can't afford to change all the parts just for the piece of mind. The timing belt is a bit different, as its failure is fatal for the engine.
    I too lean towards your way of thinking.

    I call it reactive maintenance…..If something is wrong, I react to it, and if I could be bothered…..fix it.
    I never go looking though.

    I always tell myself that the day everything on the (2002) car is fixed is the day a the universe craps on me and a bus runs into it and writes it off.

    When I took over possession of the car the timing belt was a day old, so that was no issue.
    Changed the fluids, replaced the front brake rotors and pads, rear shocks and a rubber drive thingy and have pretty much done nothing since except change the oil every 10k km and the tyres twice.

    Jo

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •